Canal Event Calendar 2013

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Tried Googling for it, and failed to find anything about it, (and found a provisional date for 2013, that clearly was not a weekend).

Probably me not being diligent enough.

Do you have a link showing details (for next year, rather than a past years event), please ?

I am also slightly frustrated on one or two of my other searches, where I'm finding potentially different dates for the same event.

Alan, found this on Google:Etruria Canals Festival.

I gather that the www.etruriacanalsfestival.org.uk site will be updated as soon as the webmaster can remember the password!!

(Steve, are you listening??)

Think everyone has missed what is becoming the biggest waterway based festival during the year in terms of number of people attending

Stratford River Festival 2013 will take place on 6/7 July next year. Entry to the festival with entertainment all weekend, food bars, craft village, charity stalls and childrens play area. There will also be over 100 boats attending next year and all takes place on the River Avon in Stratford opposite the Royal Shakespeare Theatre - fantastic venue ! Last year had over 40,000 people there

Boaters wishing to attend the festival can obtain an application form (reduced River Avon Licences are available) which will shortly be loaded up onto http://www.stratfordriverfestival.co.uk/ which also has a gallery of the past years events

The Heritage Working Boat Group will be at the Stratford River Festival again next year with Scorpio. We were unable to attend this year due to other committments but we have been there with Swift the last few years. We were the only working boat but lots of public interest and plenty going on over the weekend. We have managed to get stuck in the locks a few times and had to give a couple of chains a bit of tightening to squeeze through.

Our events coordinator has the BCLM Tug Event as the 4/5 May 2013 to which we will be taking Nansen. There is also a further event, which is the one I thought held alternate years with Parkhead on the 28/29 Sept 2013 and that will be in the BCLM as this year it was at Parkhead, this isn't just a tug event though.

Well I'm very confused now!

I thought it was Bernard Hales, who I would expect to be very much in the know, who told me the BCLM tug event was only every second year.

I'll see if I can find some contact details for Bernard and contact him then.

Although frankly getting Sickle there in 2012 was more than a bit challenging, and I'm not sure I cold commit to it again in 2013.

Alan, found this on Google:Etruria Canals Festival.

I gather that the www.etruriacanalsfestival.org.uk site will be updated as soon as the webmaster can remember the password!!

(Steve, are you listening??)

I have updated my last post to include it, (which may of course now make some of the discussion that has followed rather confusing!).

......has anyone heard if Alvecote is happening next year?

Given its success last year, I'd be somewhat amazed if they didn't do it again in 2013.....

I haven't seen it formally announced though.

That said, it is kind of odd, I think, because they could easily get overwhelmed by it being too successful. I get the impression that last year they actually publicised it less to the general public than the year before, specifically so they didn't end up with people spilling out the doors of the Barlow, and into the cut.

List amended slightly to group together those events that are actually being held at the same weekends......

Fri 29th - Sun 31st March - Ellesmere Port Easter Boat Gathering

Fri 3rd - Mon 6th May - May bank Holiday Extravaganza - Vines Park, Droitwich

Sat 4th – Mon 6th May – Canalway Cavalcade, London

Sat 18th – Sun 19th May – Rickmansworth

Sat 1st to Sun 2nd June - Etruria Canal Festival

Fri 14th – Sun 16th June - Middlewich Folk & Boat Festival

Sat 15th – Sun 16th June – Stoke Bruerne Canal Gala

Sat 15th – Sun 16th June - BCN Society Pelsall Boat Rally

Sat 29th – Sun 30th June – Braunston Historic Boats

Sat 29th – Sun 30th June – Chesterfield Canal Festival - Staveley Town Basin

Sat 29th – Sun 30th June – Foxton Locks Festival

Fri 19th – Sun 21st Jul – IWA National Festival, Watford

Sun 28 July - Audlem Festival of Transport

Sat 10th - Sun 11th Aug - Blisworth Canal Festival

Sat 7th - Sun 8th Sept - Shackerstone Festival

Sat 14th – Sun 15th Sept - Stoke Bruerne Village at War

EDITED: To remove May tug event at BCLM, now confirmed as definitely not taking place.

EDITED AGAIN: To add Audlem event

Edited by alan_fincher

Alan, I have Foxton as the 22nd - 23rd June as I am likely to be bringing Swift from Foxton to Braunston during the week for the Braunston festival.

Having just Googled it I see it is being advertised as the dates you have Alan. I will give our HWBG events coordinator a call and check his source.

Our events coordinator has the BCLM Tug Event as the 4/5 May 2013 to which we will be taking Nansen. There is also a further event, which is the one I thought held alternate years with Parkhead on the 28/29 Sept 2013 and that will be in the BCLM as this year it was at Parkhead, this isn't just a tug event though.

Rob,

I have received a reply from Bernard Hales.

Definitely no tug event at BCLM in May 2013 - next one planned for 2014.

You better tell your events co-ordinator, I think!

List amended slightly to group together those events that are actually being held at the same weekends......

EDITED: To remove May tug event at BCLM, now confirmed as definitely not taking place.

The Audlem Festival of Transport is on Sunday 28 July 2013 - we expect 40+ boats

There is a boat rally planned for 3-6th May at Beckets Park in Northampton on the Nene.

Not a specifically historic boat rally but no doubt there will be some there. It is organised by the Northampton Branch of the IWA. 2012s attempt at organising it was canceled. Well, two attempts actually (May and August) due to river levels and the dreaded rain.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest version of list, to give me an editable version, as the old posts are now too old to edit....

Fri 29th March - Mon 1st April - Stoke Bruerne Gathering

Fri 29th March - Mon 1st April - Easter Boaters Banter (Calf Heath/Gnosall)

Fri 3rd - Mon 6th May - IWA Northampton Branch Boat Gathering - Beckett's Park Northampton

Sat 4th – Sun 5th May - Loughborough Canal & Boat Festival

Sun 28 July - Audlem Festival of Transport

Edited by alan_fincher

• 1 month later...

I see there is a "Tipton Canal Festival" mentioned in the HNBOC diary on 28th-29th September.

Does anyone have any more information about that event?

The Heritage Working Boat group have an event at The Black Country Living Museum for that weekend. We have Coronation Gardens listed as being the weekend before.

The Heritage Working Boat group have an event at The Black Country Living Museum for that weekend. We have Coronation Gardens listed as being the weekend before.

I have Windmill End on 14th-15th September then BCLM on 28th 29th September. I just noticed that on the HNBOC diary they mention Tipton for the weekend in between. There are two events on consecutive weekends at BCLM then?

I have Windmill End on 14th-15th September then BCLM on 28th 29th September. I just noticed that on the HNBOC diary they mention Tipton for the weekend in between. There are two events on consecutive weekends at BCLM then?

Yes, HWBG will be at Windmill End as well. The Tipton event is out on the Main Line at Coronation Gardens before Tipton Junction rather than in BCLM.

Yes, HWBG will be at Windmill End as well. The Tipton event is out on the Main Line at Coronation Gardens before Tipton Junction rather than in BCLM.

Hi Rob,

I can see the evets listed on the HWBG events page but as with the HNBC events page it gives no details.

Can anyone send me in the right direction for a link where I can find out more about these events or can anyone share their experience of them in prvious years. The info I am looking for is things like:

How big? How many boats, how many public attend, can you fund raise, have a stall etc. Where can I find contact details for booking? I am familiar with BCLM and how their events tend to be arranged but not the others. I am trying to work out whether we should bring Python to them. I want to try and get her to as many events as possible but towards the end of the season the crew always have an eye on the distance to get her back home with shortening days and colder nights.

Hi Rob,

I can see the evets listed on the HWBG events page but as with the HNBC events page it gives no details.

Can anyone send me in the right direction for a link where I can find out more about these events or can anyone share their experience of them in prvious years. The info I am looking for is things like:

How big? How many boats, how many public attend, can you fund raise, have a stall etc. Where can I find contact details for booking? I am familiar with BCLM and how their events tend to be arranged but not the others. I am trying to work out whether we should bring Python to them. I want to try and get her to as many events as possible but towards the end of the season the crew always have an eye on the distance to get her back home with shortening days and colder nights.

I don't have contact details as I just post the event list on our website but the Tipton festival is organised by the Tipton Community Association I think. Last year I believe there was a good public turn out. Windmill End is also popular and that is organised by the Black Country Boating Festival (Link to 2012).

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATED LIST: SOME ADDITIONS (The Alvecote event is NOT confirmed yet, I think).

Another new version of list, to give me an editable version, as the old posts are now too old to edit....

Fri 29th March - Mon 1st April - Stoke Bruerne Gathering

Fri 29th March - Mon 1st April - Easter Boaters Banter (Calf Heath/Gnosall)

Fri 3rd - Mon 6th May - IWA Northampton Branch Boat Gathering - Beckett's Park Northampton

Sat 4th – Sun 5th May - Loughborough Canal & Boat Festival

Sat 27th July - Linslade Canal Festival

Sun 28th July - Audlem Festival of Transport

Sat Aug 31st - Sun Sep 1st - Alvecote Gathering (NOT CONFIRMED)

Sat 28th - Sun 29th Sept - Historic Boat Gathering Black Country Living Museum

Edited by alan_fincher

(I'm not posting this in "events" to avoid the delays often caused by needing moderator intervention - anyway it is not about one specific event!).

I'm trying to come up with an events calendar for 2013.

we are not planning to attend them all, (!), but it is useful to have a menu to select from, and other people may find it helpful to.

In many cases I can't find dates yet published, so have been asking for some of them.

Here is a starter list.....

Does anybody have others please, particularly things like Alvecote, Shackerstone, (and Audlem possibly?) and anything planned at the BCLM or Parkhead ?

Alan, you don't seem to have tried the obvious place to start - HNBC website calender, with links to the event organisers.

James