Matting for Rear Deck

Simon (Hawksmoor)

Featured Posts

We are looking for matting for the rear deck of our Semi-Trad (where the helmsman stands).

I have been warned off hard plastic matting (that I have seen a lot of boats have)as it is as uncomfortable on the feet as the bare metal deck.

So I guess we are looking for a softer rubber type of mat.

Any suggestions please?

I bought this matting from their eBay site £ 21.99 that's including delivery ,it's 22mm thick

http://www.endurancemats.com/products-page/gateway-mats/endurance-multipurpous-mat-gateway-mat-duplicate-

Ps ,it's easy to cut to size ,doesn't slip ,and unlike painted sand it's comfy underfoot ,I've placed mine over a recently painted trad deck.

Edited by JerryP

Hi Simon

We tried rubber mats on our Tug deck and after two months we had rust even on a 2 year old Boat. we now use dried kiln sand.easy to apply and very easy to keep clean. Also rubber mats slip when the deck is wet

Hope this of help to you

John

I bought this matting from their eBay site £ 21.99 that's including delivery ,it's 22mm thick

http://www.endurancemats.com/products-page/gateway-mats/endurance-multipurpous-mat-gateway-mat-duplicate-

Ps ,it's easy to cut to size ,doesn't slip ,and unlike painted sand it's comfy underfoot ,I've placed mine over a recently painted trad deck.

I am worried about holding water against the deck and causing rusting.

How is yours behaving from this viewpoint?

there's little blocks underneath ,water simply drains away ,I just lift it up then brush any debris away,no sign of any rusting at all ,no flaking or blistering paint either

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-holey-mat-gateway-wet-field-playground-washdown-/370670498270?pt=UK_SportingGoods_StableAccessories_SM&hash=item564daef1de

We bought cheap external door mats (rubber) from the local hardware shop and these were designed for water drainage.

Had to cut them about and it took three to do our trad stern.

OK after two years.

Edited by bottle

We are looking for matting for the rear deck of our Semi-Trad (where the helmsman stands).

I have been warned off hard plastic matting (that I have seen a lot of boats have)as it is as uncomfortable on the feet as the bare metal deck.

Any suggestions please?

When you say rear deck where the helmsman stands, where are you talking about? If you mean the counter, the helmsman shouldn't be standing there. If you mean inside the semi-trad part, what are your engine boards made off, that are uncomfortable to stand on?

When you say rear deck where the helmsman stands, where are you talking about? If you mean the counter, the helmsman shouldn't be standing there. If you mean inside the semi-trad part, what are your engine boards made off, that are uncomfortable to stand on?

Yes the counter. I stand there about half the time.

I'm assuming you're talking about Dri-Dek or similar, I gotta say I disagree about the comfort thing, we've got in on the bow deck and although it's not a soft surface to stand on it doesn't have the hot/cold problem you get standing on steel. I do love how dry it is to stand on, you can go out for a few minutes in socks in light rain and somehow still come back in without soggy socks, it's quite amazing from that point of view. However it's worth noting that the area under the Dri-Dek was by far the most pitted part of the boat when we painted this year, although I suspect that wouldn't have been such a problem if we'd picked it up and cleaned underneath it more often. The main downside in my opinion is the ridiculously high price, although you can get brandless Chinese stuff for much less.

Yes the counter. I stand there about half the time.

Well you should not. ;)

At all times when steering and travelling you or any one else should not be stood within the arc of the tiller. Especially when reversing.

http://www.endurance...-mat-duplicate-

If you have ever had to stand on a production line for 12 hours then this is the stuff to be stood on. 8-10 hours on a boat would be a breeze

Well you should not. ;)

At all times when steering and travelling you or any one else should not be stood within the arc of the tiller. Especially when reversing.

Don't want to take this off topic, but can anyone tell me how to avoid standing on the counter to steer without getting severe shoulder-ache within about 5 minutes? We've both tried, we really have, but the counter is the most comfortable position for both of us. (The other hand is always holding the boat)

Is it us? Is it the tiller height/length? Or what?

All advice gratefully received. (It's another semi-trad, BTW)

Don't want to take this off topic, but can anyone tell me how to avoid standing on the counter to steer without getting severe shoulder-ache within about 5 minutes? We've both tried, we really have, but the counter is the most comfortable position for both of us. (The other hand is always holding the boat)

Is it us? Is it the tiller height/length? Or what?

All advice gratefully received. (It's another semi-trad, BTW)

Tiller height can be a problem too high/too low

It does depend on the construction just inside the door. If there is a step stand on it, sideways on. Change sides when your arm gets tired. I also have a plastic step stool on my step which raises me up higher and enables me to see over the front better. I also have a padded seat that was specially made for the roof area at the side of the hatch. When using this the throttle is between my calves.

I am unsure exactly what you are looking for as I am new to the narrowboat world.

If you are looking for something that is anti slip and comfortable under foot there is a product in the yachting/motor boat world called 'Treadmaster'.

Not cheap but is highly regarded by those that have it.

Apologies if I have missed the point or am on the wrong track.

I have this down in the bow and have bought some more to put on the roof. It's designed to allow drainage, is easy to cut, and feels softer and warmer than steel. Much cheaper than the competition too. I think the company may have stopped making it though, so you'll have to be quick!

Link to Amazon

Regards,

Joe

I have this down in the bow and have bought some more to put on the roof. It's designed to allow drainage, is easy to cut, and feels softer and warmer than steel. Much cheaper than the competition too. I think the company may have stopped making it though, so you'll have to be quick!

Link to Amazon

Regards,

Joe

Thanks Joe

Is this plastic or rubber?

I use these tiles on well and rear deck obtained by my builder but available from Midland Chandlers.

They seem to be a cross between rubber & plastic but can be cut with heavy duty scissors. They allow easy draining as they have small studs underneath.

Another user found they had removed the red oxide from rear deck though so its important to wash underneath regularly to remove grit.