Denver to Salter's Lode in December

Happy Go Lucky

Featured Posts

We visited Salters and Denver today after checking the boat and took a few photos which I put on my Blog

Gawd, Brian!...In 2001, it looked easier to get out of the Old Bedford Sluice!

OBS2.jpg

I'm new to boating but my home town iwasChatteris and I was born in March! Having moved away 40 yrs ago my father has loved reading a recent article in one of the boating magazines. He has been telling me how my great grandfather worked the boats from Vhatteris docks to Denver Sluice in a horse drawn narrow boat loaded with wheat. Sorry I can't give a useful answer but reading about the fenland s has been great! Good luck!

I'm new to boating but my home town iwasChatteris and I was born in March! Having moved away 40 yrs ago my father has loved reading a recent article in one of the boating magazines. He has been telling me how my great grandfather worked the boats from Vhatteris docks to Denver Sluice in a horse drawn narrow boat loaded with wheat. Sorry I can't give a useful answer but reading about the fenland s has been great! Good luck!

...in which case he must have passed our house in Upwell. Have you, by chance, any photos of this boat?

No we are talking many years ago, around end of 1890's unfortunately, I believe.

Homer.. I now live in Chatteris (on Church Lane), and my wife is a local historian. She is currently gathering information on the world war 1 era, and what was going on in the town at that time. Do you know if your family have any pictures or stories of that era? We'd love to hear them. They moved the river at some point, and the docks were no more in town, although there are various indocators like Dock Road, and the Ship Inn.

What was your GGF's name? Maybe she can find out some more.

Edited by FidoDido

If that was WW there are a few mistakes

Homer.. I now live in Chatteris (on Church Lane), and my wife is a local historian. She is currently gathering information on the world war 1 era, and what was going on in the town at that time. Do you know if your family have any pictures or stories of that era? We'd love to hear them. They moved the river at some point, and the docks were no more in town, although there are various indocators like Dock Road, and the Ship Inn.

What was your GGF's name? Maybe she can find out some more.

Her email is nicky.stockman@me.com

Hi only just seen this. I'll ask my dad, he is 79. My family moved to chatteris from Ireland around 1830. Unfortunately my grandmother died 3 yrs ago aged 96 so she would have had a lot of I information. I Know her father was in WW1 and injured in Ypres. I'll be in touch by email when I've spoken to my father.

Hi only just seen this. I'll ask my dad, he is 79. My family moved to chatteris from Ireland around 1830. Unfortunately my grandmother died 3 yrs ago aged 96 so she would have had a lot of I information. I Know her father was in WW1 and injured in Ypres. I'll be in touch by email when I've spoken to my father.

His name was Thomas Welch. At one time it was a common name in chatteris. My grandmothers father was John Hyde. He was from Warboys