Denver to Salter's Lode in December

Happy Go Lucky

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...

Any further news on Salters Lode? A friend of mine is going to be making the crossing from SL back to Denver in the next week or so if possible, and if it's closed I want to warn him to stay in March!

I have just spoken to Paul and it is not officially closed but to use his words its badly silted and would be hell of an adventure, it's possible but he wouldn't risk it.

I have just spoken to Paul and it is not officially closed but to use his words its badly silted and would be hell of an adventure, it's possible but he wouldn't risk it.

erp! have just let my friend know, and suggested he call paul asap!

Thank you for letting us know, we like our 'adventure' in smaller doses these days!

We had already accepted that our 70' wouldn't be getting through until spring, our neighbours will be staying this side of Denver as well now. At least I've managed to get the boat mostly self sufficient, time to put my labours to the test :o

Thank you for letting us know, we like our 'adventure' in smaller doses these days!

We had already accepted that our 70' wouldn't be getting through until spring, our neighbours will be staying this side of Denver as well now. At least I've managed to get the boat mostly self sufficient, time to put my labours to the test :o

EA make the provision that you can moor at Denver for as long as you like if you are waiting to go through to Salters Lode, but the weather doesnt allow. Its not a bad spot. There are also moorings in Downham Market on the relief channel which I've only ever seen 1 boat on - plenty of room for a 70ft and 30ft butty. Just by the bridge near Downham Railway station. The 1 boat is nearly always there. Not sure if its liveaboard.

Are there many left now at F+D? I presume you'll be staying there till Jan. Happy to help when you need to move, etc. Live about 20 mins away. 0777 5517431

Best wishes, and have a good Christmas :)

Rob

There is frequently more than one boat on the Relief channel staithe - quite luxurious it looks too, with its nice solid landing stage and its lighting. Not sure if it has anything as useful as a tap though.

EA make the provision that you can moor at Denver for as long as you like if you are waiting to go through to Salters Lode, but the weather doesnt allow. Its not a bad spot. There are also moorings in Downham Market on the relief channel which I've only ever seen 1 boat on - plenty of room for a 70ft and 30ft butty. Just by the bridge near Downham Railway station. The 1 boat is nearly always there. Not sure if its liveaboard.

I'm not sure that I want to test their tolerance quite so hard. We might be living at their moorings for months before the water levels go down enough to get us through Salter's. There are also 'dangers' associated with living so close to a pub.

Are there many left now at F+D? I presume you'll be staying there till Jan. Happy to help when you need to move, etc. Live about 20 mins away.

I counted 16 boats this morning, there were about 80 before the shutdown was announced. The marina looks very forlorn these days. I know that one of the remaining boats has been sold and is awaiting collection and suspect that another has been abandoned. Provided the weather calms down another 4 are due to leave this weekend.

We may also leave the F&D this weekend although we won't travel very far to start with.

Hope your Christmas is as happy as you deserve it to be ;)

There is frequently more than one boat on the Relief channel staithe - quite luxurious it looks too, with its nice solid landing stage and its lighting. Not sure if it has anything as useful as a tap though.

Can't remember if they all have water, but some do.

We went to the end of navigation last year and spent a night on one further down where its quieter.

I'm not sure that I want to test their tolerance quite so hard. We might be living at their moorings for months before the water levels go down enough to get us through Salter's. There are also 'dangers' associated with living so close to a pub.

I counted 16 boats this morning, there were about 80 before the shutdown was announced. The marina looks very forlorn these days. I know that one of the remaining boats has been sold and is awaiting collection and suspect that another has been abandoned. Provided the weather calms down another 4 are due to leave this weekend.

We may also leave the F&D this weekend although we won't travel very far to start with.

Hope your Christmas is as happy as you deserve it to be ;)

Jennyns arms only ever seems to open for a few hours at a time! Not an all day pub (Sadly!! - I've only moored there a few times, but it was mostly shut when I did!).

Sad to hear most boats have left. Someone on a blue boat near the footbridge shouted out "My boats called Rivendell too" very excitedly one time we went past - spritely young lady with long hair.. We always had several waves and hellos whilst going past. Seemed a lovely spot to moor. I've parked on the GOBA moorings a few times and walked the dog up and down, so have a fair few pics of that spot.

Best wishes for your travels :)

Rob, Nicky and Sam.

We are at Salters Lode at the moment and you would be very lucking to cross from the Middle Level up through Denver Sluice in anything larger than a rowing boat or small cruiser. There are a couple of photos on my blog tonight http://nbharnser.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/monday-17-december-2012-salters-lode.html Its not looking good until well into next year.

Did you come past us again? I haven't seen a boat go through Upwell for about a month, since a flotilla of Fox's hire boats went through carrying a Girl Guides expedition.

Thank goodness that blasted eyesore of a wrecked boat has been disposed of. I sometimes thought of ramming it, perhaps someeone now has!

Did you come past us again? I haven't seen a boat go through Upwell for about a month, since a flotilla of Fox's hire boats went through carrying a Girl Guides expedition.

Thank goodness that blasted eyesore of a wrecked boat has been disposed of. I sometimes thought of ramming it, perhaps someeone now has!

Yes, I was about to PM you to ask when you plan to prune your Wisteria. I think someone did ram it, there was a big hole in the hull. The cottages that it was moored outside of have just been sold by auction, so I guess they also own the mooring where it was sunk so got shot of it.

Edit to add we will be back tomorrow.

Edited by ditchcrawler

So Denver is inaccessible due to the sandbank. What about exiting Salters? In Harnser's blog there is a photo showing a sand bank but would it be possible to get out and head down the New Bedford?

If you look in today's blog you will see a photo at high tide.

I would suggest with care I could leave Salters and maybe even get in at Denver, A bit more actual measuring as opposed to estimating would be required first. I would not like to try getting back in at Salters.

There are two boats waiting at Salters, the first got stuck trying to get out and backed back into the lock.

We did discuss running up to Erith but you would be fighting the flow all the way so it would take several hours in a Narrowboat IMO.

If you look in today's blog you will see a photo at high tide.

I would suggest with care I could leave Salters and maybe even get in at Denver, A bit more actual measuring as opposed to estimating would be required first. I would not like to try getting back in at Salters.

There are two boats waiting at Salters, the first got stuck trying to get out and backed back into the lock.

We did discuss running up to Erith but you would be fighting the flow all the way so it would take several hours in a Narrowboat IMO.

There's always the Wash, Kings Lynn's nice at this time of year.........

• 1 month later...

Out of curiosity I stopped by as I was passing Salter's Lode today. This is how the lock exit looks about an hour before high tide (assuming I've read the tide tables correctly).

Image0317_zps396ef647.jpg

Taken at 16:15 on 26/1/13 - pity about the fogging on my phone.

Edited by Happy Go Lucky

Out of curiosity I stopped by as I was passing Salter's Lode today. This is how the lock exit looks about an hour before high tide (assuming I've read the tide tables correctly).

I think you read your tide table wrong, Salters is about an hour after Lynn but the time is GMT so you have to note the local time. I use http://www.portauthoritykingslynn.fsnet.co.uk/page4.html

High tide would be somewhere near the top rail. Still not enough water to get a narrowboat over.

Edited by ditchcrawler

I think you read your tide table wrong, Salters is about an hour after Lynn but the time is GMT so you have to note the local time. I use http://www.portauthoritykingslynn.fsnet.co.uk/page4.html

High tide would be somewhere near the top rail. Still not enough water to get a narrowboat over.

You're quite right, I did read the tide table wrong. Foolishly I bookmarked the page (tidetimes.org.uk) with January 9th included in the link :blush:

We visited Salters and Denver today after checking the boat and took a few photos which I put on my Blog