Denver to Salter's Lode in December

Happy Go Lucky

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

Just looking for advice as I am moving my 55ft boat from Braunston to Fox's at March and then on to St Ives where I live. The level on the Gt Ouse has been high but is now starting to fall so I' hoping the Nene will ease a bit by the time I reach it. I am leaving on Monday and would expect to take a week to reach Salter's Lode, depending on river conditions. I'm just reading up on route on the EA site and would appreciate any tips from those with local knowledge. I plan to call the lock keeper for advice when I'm a bit closer.

Any advice would be welcome and if the OP is still around Salter / Denver in a week or so I would be happy to help.

Martin

Hi folks,

Just looking for advice as I am moving my 55ft boat from Braunston to Fox's at March and then on to St Ives where I live. The level on the Gt Ouse has been high but is now starting to fall so I' hoping the Nene will ease a bit by the time I reach it. I am leaving on Monday and would expect to take a week to reach Salter's Lode, depending on river conditions. I'm just reading up on route on the EA site and would appreciate any tips from those with local knowledge. I plan to call the lock keeper for advice when I'm a bit closer.

Any advice would be welcome and if the OP is still around Salter / Denver in a week or so I would be happy to help.

Martin

There are lots of maintenance stoppages on the Nene, there is a window over Christmas. This is from the Camboaters list

The Fen waterways are effectively cut off from the rest of the Inland Waterways, from now until the end of February 2013. The Environment Agency are carrying out a series of maintenance works on five locks on the river Nene over the winter: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Leisure/121003_-_Closure_Notice_(Winter_Works_2012-13).pdf The dates overlap such that the only gap is between 21 Dec and the 02 Jan. This would be enough time to travel the length of the river, providing it is not in flood, but at that time of year, flooding is very likely.

DETAILS

Islip - 05 Nov 2012 to 07 Dec 2012

Irthlingborough - 12 Nov 2012 to 26 Nov 2012

Ashton - 26 Nov 2012 to 21 Dec 2012

Elton - 02 Jan 2013 to 01 Feb 2013

Orton - 28 Jan 2013 to 28 Feb 2013

Due to essential maintenance work the above locks will be closed during the periods stated.

The Agency regrets any inconvenience caused.

For further information please call the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506

between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday and ask for the Waterways Team in the

Anglian Region.

Ditchcrawler,

Thanks for the info. I looked at the stoppage page but managed miss that rather vital document :blush:

I have to move the boat out of Braunston on Monday anyway so I guess | can afford to take my time. Depending on river conditions I may wait on the GU for a week or two before heading onto the Nene.

I don't know about the stoppages, but a bit of practical info about the Middle Levels (I live in Upwell). When you get through Marmont Priory lock, take everything off the roof. There are a couple of low bridges en route. Beware especially of the road bridge by Upwell church - it is lower at ite far end, so some boats that enter it safely will not be able exit it safely (our fairly short stove chimney bears the scars). A few miles further, at Nordelph, there's a bridge which is possibly even lower but at least it's short.

Middle Levels water levels are fairly well controlled (if they get too high the water runs down a sluice by Mullicourt Aqueduct and down into the Middle level Main Drain)so they never rise dramatically after rain. Finally, be aware that the ONLY public sanny station on the Levels is at March, on the left just before you reach the town bridge. Before that there are facilities at Flood's Ferry (where you can moor easily) and at Fox's marina (where you will have to enter the marina to use them). After that there's nothing until Denver - oh, there may be a water tap at Upwell Staithe by the church, perhaps someone else can advise of this.

Give us a wave in a few weeks!

I don't know about the stoppages, but a bit of practical info about the Middle Levels (I live in Upwell). When you get through Marmont Priory lock, take everything off the roof. There are a couple of low bridges en route. Beware especially of the road bridge by Upwell church - it is lower at ite far end, so some boats that enter it safely will not be able exit it safely (our fairly short stove chimney bears the scars). A few miles further, at Nordelph, there's a bridge which is possibly even lower but at least it's short.

Middle Levels water levels are fairly well controlled (if they get too high the water runs down a sluice by Mullicourt Aqueduct and down into the Middle level Main Drain)so they never rise dramatically after rain. Finally, be aware that the ONLY public sanny station on the Levels is at March, on the left just before you reach the town bridge. Before that there are facilities at Flood's Ferry (where you can moor easily) and at Fox's marina (where you will have to enter the marina to use them). After that there's nothing until Denver - oh, there may be a water tap at Upwell Staithe by the church, perhaps someone else can advise of this.

Yes there is water at the church staith, it has a different key which you borrow from the pub in exchange for £5 deposit to make sure you take it back.. The level at Floods Ferry has been fluctuating by about 10" recently and last week the flow through March was about the same as the Cam.

You are right, Mr. Crawler - I weas referring more to (but failed to say so) the level between Marmont Priory and Salter's Lode, where the presence of the locks as well as the aforementioned sluice helps stop the water rising too high. It can sometimes get a few inches lower, especially if Marmont Priory lock is heavily used, but in the winter that should not be a problem.

You are right, Mr. Crawler - I weas referring more to (but failed to say so) the level between Marmont Priory and Salter's Lode, where the presence of the locks as well as the aforementioned sluice helps stop the water rising too high. It can sometimes get a few inches lower, especially if Marmont Priory lock is heavily used, but in the winter that should not be a problem.

And the weed is not so bad now in that stretch.

There are lots of maintenance stoppages on the Nene, there is a window over Christmas. This is from the Camboaters list

The Fen waterways are effectively cut off from the rest of the Inland Waterways, from now until the end of February 2013. The Environment Agency are carrying out a series of maintenance works on five locks on the river Nene over the winter: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Leisure/121003_-_Closure_Notice_(Winter_Works_2012-13).pdf The dates overlap such that the only gap is between 21 Dec and the 02 Jan. This would be enough time to travel the length of the river, providing it is not in flood, but at that time of year, flooding is very likely.

DETAILS

Islip - 05 Nov 2012 to 07 Dec 2012

Irthlingborough - 12 Nov 2012 to 26 Nov 2012

Ashton - 26 Nov 2012 to 21 Dec 2012

Elton - 02 Jan 2013 to 01 Feb 2013

Orton - 28 Jan 2013 to 28 Feb 2013

Due to essential maintenance work the above locks will be closed during the periods stated.

The Agency regrets any inconvenience caused.

For further information please call the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506

between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday and ask for the Waterways Team in the

Anglian Region.

I have had an update come through from Camboaters:-

Update: Weekend passage through closed locks is possible, by arrangement with the EA.

And the weed is not so bad now in that stretch.

I have had an update come through from Camboaters:-

Update: Weekend passage through closed locks is possible, by arrangement with the EA.

Excellent news. Thanks for the update I'll call them on Monday to see what can be arranged.

Athy,

Many thanks for the helpful local knowledge its just that sort of info that makes the first trip anywhere so much easier. The latest update from Dirchcrawler suggests I may be able to pass Irthlingborough and Islip next weekend (17/18 Nov) in which case I can get past the other three before they close. I'll let you know when I'm likely to be passing.

Martin

Unless there is a major drop in level on the Nen you are going nowhere.

Was down at Ringstead lock today and its running faster than I have seen this year.

Dont underesimate the sometimes navigable flood control system called the River Nen.

Its not a big river but it does bite.

Unless there is a major drop in level on the Nen you are going nowhere.

Was down at Ringstead lock today and its running faster than I have seen this year.

Dont underesimate the sometimes navigable flood control system called the River Nen.

Its not a big river but it does bite.

Yes that is the other factor I plan to ask the EA about on Monday. Living in St Ives I'm familiar with the Gt Ouse section of the flood control system and I understand the Nene runs quite a bit faster. I will certainly be taking no chances, I leant to be patient after spending April on the Thames in flood. :unsure:

Yes that is the other factor I plan to ask the EA about on Monday. Living in St Ives I'm familiar with the Gt Ouse section of the flood control system and I understand the Nene runs quite a bit faster. I will certainly be taking no chances, I leant to be patient after spending April on the Thames in flood. :unsure:

The Nene has already caught one person out this year :(News story

If the water levels don't drop we wont be going through Denver until spring. I wonder how well I'll do at the eviction hearing if I use weather conditions as my defense?

The Nene has already caught one person out this year :(News story

If the water levels don't drop we wont be going through Denver until spring. I wonder how well I'll do at the eviction hearing if I use weather conditions as my defense?

Hi,

I plan to set off from Braunston this afternoon. If the River levels are still high on Tuesday I'll wait on the canal until the river is navigable. Also need to check with EA regarding lock passage at weekends. I'll let you know how I get on. If I make it through Salter's Lode I would be happy to help if I can.

Martin

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the current conditions on the River Nene from Northampton to Peterborough. The EA hotline is still reporting a strong stream advice (the recorded message is date Wed 14 Nov ) but checking the on-line river levels pages all seem to be within the normal range having recently been high. Not sure which to believe. :huh:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the current conditions on the River Nene from Northampton to Peterborough. The EA hotline is still reporting a strong stream advice (the recorded message is date Wed 14 Nov ) but checking the on-line river levels pages all seem to be within the normal range having recently been high. Not sure which to believe. :huh:

You could give Tina a ring at Standground Lock to see if she is operational, that may give you a clue.

Arrived at the end of the Northampton arm of the GU to find the river is high and fast. No way am I going on it for a while :unsure:

Moored just above lock 17 on the canal.

Martin

Your going to be there at least a month with the rain we had. I had to wade back to the boat tonight.

Shot over to Floods Ferry today and the level there is back down to almost normal

The water level over the last few days has been up and down like a working girls nickers. The Flood planks

have been in place at Foxes and the pump going.

I thought with that nice new headquarters they would be on pre-pay by now or at least a key. :captain:

As the old HQ been sold to Weatherspoons, they should not be short of a bob or two.

Edited by nbfiresprite