inverter charger choices

jmacg

Featured Posts

Sorry to post a query which 'old hands' on here I suspect will have addressed frequently before, but... The inverter/charger on our boat has died suddenly, a fault apparently caused by a dry weld(?) failing on the circuit board, causing an internal fire and the rendering of the machine unusable. The device was a Studer, made in Switzerland, I think. It's very compact, and as far as we can tell worked well. The boat, which we bought 2nd hand 3 years ago, was made in 2002/03, so the Studer has lasted c10 years. We've also recently replaced the 3 'leisure batteries' (deep, 130aH versions) and the engine starter battery, which are linked with the inverter/charger. The boat is mainly used residentially on a marina mooring with 240v, which also links seamlessly into the electrical system. But we do also cruise extensively, and a Travelpack (also fully integrated into the system) is used both to power larger devices (vacuum cleaner etc) when we're cruising and to deep-charge the batteries. With what should we replace the Studer? New ones are available, though they're rather expensive and only available, I think, from one source. Some popular wisdom suggests Mastervolt are the best (though this from folk who've never heard of Studer), and that Sterling or Victron might be cheaper alternatives. I realise that no-one should lay themselves open to litigious comment, but what do folk on here recommend? (In about 5-6 years time we'll both be retired from work and will then spend less time moored up with 240v on tap, so the inverter/charger will become a more significant element in helping us organise our "electrical life"!)

I have fitted one Studer about 6 years ago and as been perfect but as you say they are only available from the one source.I now use Victron and have fitted several of these.Mastervolt are good but a bit more expensive,I would go for the Victron Multiplus.I have never bought Sterling and never would.

Edited by bowten

I have fitted one Studer about 6 years ago and as been perfect but as you say they are only available from the one source.I now use Victron and have fitted several of these.Mastervolt are good but a bit more expensive,I would go for the Victron Multiplus.I have never bought Sterling and never would.

Perhaps the one with a better warranty or with better after sales service out of warranty ? I have no complaints with my 4 year old Victron Combi 12/3000/120/16, so have no experience I can offer...

Nick

Sorry to hijack someone else's thread, but I'd like to hear the views of anyone with knowledge/experience of the following units (on a boat I'm currently looking at):

Rich Electric Invertek 3kW pure sine wave inverter/charger

4kW Dolphin M4E cocooned diesel generator

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sorry to hijack someone else's thread, but I'd like to hear the views of anyone with knowledge/experience of the following units (on a boat I'm currently looking at):

Rich Electric Invertek 3kW pure sine wave inverter/charger

4kW Dolphin M4E cocooned diesel generator

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Better to start a new thread I think,more people will see it.I have no experience of either I'm afraid.

Edited by bowten

Sorry to post a query which 'old hands' on here I suspect will have addressed frequently before, but... The inverter/charger on our boat has died suddenly, a fault apparently caused by a dry weld(?) failing on the circuit board, causing an internal fire and the rendering of the machine unusable. The device was a Studer, made in Switzerland, I think. It's very compact, and as far as we can tell worked well. The boat, which we bought 2nd hand 3 years ago, was made in 2002/03, so the Studer has lasted c10 years. We've also recently replaced the 3 'leisure batteries' (deep, 130aH versions) and the engine starter battery, which are linked with the inverter/charger. The boat is mainly used residentially on a marina mooring with 240v, which also links seamlessly into the electrical system. But we do also cruise extensively, and a Travelpack (also fully integrated into the system) is used both to power larger devices (vacuum cleaner etc) when we're cruising and to deep-charge the batteries. With what should we replace the Studer? New ones are available, though they're rather expensive and only available, I think, from one source. Some popular wisdom suggests Mastervolt are the best (though this from folk who've never heard of Studer), and that Sterling or Victron might be cheaper alternatives. I realise that no-one should lay themselves open to litigious comment, but what do folk on here recommend? (In about 5-6 years time we'll both be retired from work and will then spend less time moored up with 240v on tap, so the inverter/charger will become a more significant element in helping us organise our "electrical life"!)

Hi

Speaking from experience. I always have believed that a seperate inverter and battery charger is the best option, combis dont make sense. As for makes Stirling are cheap crap, victron are way way better and Mastervolt are theeeeeeeee best and that is why they are the most expensive by a fair margin and they get it and sell many many units.

Tim

Is one mastervolt Charger plus one mastervolt Inverter more or less expensive than a Mastervolt combi???

- the cost of a combi could make sense too.

Edited by The Dog House

Is one mastervolt Charger plus one mastervolt Inverter more or less expensive than a Mastervolt combi???

- the cost of a combi could make sense too.

Hi Martin

I think without looking that generally seperates are more expensive as are most things that are better. We all spend money differently. As a for instance I drive Volvos biggest saloon, there are many reasons for this mostly because they are massively more comfortable than small cars but one consideration to my motoring is safety and I put this before economy. Manufacturers always state how good in an accident their car is " In its class " the facts are that in the unfortunate and I hope not to happen accident where my volvo is hit by someone in say a fiesta the volvo WILL come out best so on my list of running motoring costs in say a 1/2/3 I put comfort first, safety second and fuel consumption last wheras many people, mates included just bragg about how little fuel their car uses, not the right way to go about it in my view :cheers:

Tim

Combi's are often a little more expensive than equivalent individual chargers and inverters. However they require only a single battery connection and automatic AC source switch over provides a continued supply. The cost of this simplification is offset by that of the switchgear and installation for manual AC source selection.

Having engineered both systems on various boats I can't honestly say either is better. Its what suits the end user.

I drive Volvos biggest saloon, there are many reasons for this mostly because they are massively more comfortable than small cars but one consideration to my motoring is safety and I put this before economy.

Tim

Off topic but I really like volvo. I drive a 1989 240GLT estate and it's great. I will Lpg it soon. Volvo saloons come out very well and I do think other manufacturers know how to just pass the safety tests but recently the new small overlap crash tests, some premium brands did poorly where volvo did very well. http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr081412.html And pics here

James. :cheers:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=small-overlap+frontal+crash+test&oq=small-overlap+frontal+crash+test&gs_l=serp.12..0i22l4.2916.31417.0.34320.43.35.0.0.0.15.2892.15346.5-8j8j1j0j1.18.0.les%3Bcfrsh..0.0...1.1.JoZxJvya0k8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=3865b7c6a2e4b8e2&bpcl=35440803&biw=1366&bih=587

Edited by canals are us?

Hi there

We have a Vetus 3kw inverter /charger fitted in our tug.We would never ever recommend one, even to our worst enemy.Nothing but problems from day 1 and no customer after care, it took 43 phone calls before they sent somebody out to look at it and it is still not right. Now they don't even answer emails we send to them! And no chance of a refund either!

Hope this helps

John

I bought a Sterling Pro Combi S last November. If it is plugged into the mains to charge the batteries, and the mains trips, or comes unplugged, it reverts to running as an inverter. Even if nothing is on, the inverter uses some amps. If you have left the boat expecting to return to fully charged batteries, you might return to completely flat and knackered ones.

I wouldn't buy a Sterling again. I would like to buy a Mastervolt, but would probably buy a Victron Multiplus - you can turn the inverter function off when charging.

Hi Richard

We had similor problems with the Vetus when we lost shore power it was a major issue it nearly caused the boat to catch fire!

our Vetus unit will not run the charger from a generator we had a 3kw geni and it did not like it one bit being geni intolerant

This is only our view on Vetus

John

Hi Martin

I think without looking that generally seperates are more expensive as are most things that are better. We all spend money differently. As a for instance I drive Volvos biggest saloon, there are many reasons for this mostly because they are massively more comfortable than small cars but one consideration to my motoring is safety and I put this before economy. Manufacturers always state how good in an accident their car is " In its class " the facts are that in the unfortunate and I hope not to happen accident where my volvo is hit by someone in say a fiesta the volvo WILL come out best so on my list of running motoring costs in say a 1/2/3 I put comfort first, safety second and fuel consumption last wheras many people, mates included just bragg about how little fuel their car uses, not the right way to go about it in my view :cheers:

Tim

Lovely...what all that has to do with inverters/chargers/combis

I simply have no idea...

Lovely...what all that has to do with inverters/chargers/combis

I simply have no idea...

Yes it was a bit convoluted. i just meant to say in reply to your other post that many people put cost as their first consideration with regard to many things. Some of us dont, I wouldnt even check wether seperates where cheaper than combis I would always by seperates as I prefer them. Similarily I never check cars fuel consumption before purchase I check comfort and safety before economy, to me it is more important. We all spends our pennies in different ways. One of the chaps at work drives a modern citroen which he tells me does over 60 mpg......he also spends 80 pounds a week on killer cigs :lol: you couldnt make it up. :cheers:

Tim

Hi Tim

It is just to let people know what they get for their money not just a product but after service as well which is often more important!

which is what the forum is for

ps we have a renault cleo.and a Harley Davidson

John

Hi Tim

It is just to let people know what they get for their money not just a product but after service as well which is often more important!

which is what the forum is for

ps we have a renault cleo.and a Harley Davidson

John

Hi John

Yes I agree with you thats why I never think of cost first. I have vetus kit which includes the engine and jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees I would never have fitted it myself it was the first owner who didnt do his homework Im afraid. You can keep the clio :lol: I too am a biker though not at moment ( been on fleabay looking tonite ) I do like Harleys but I usualy buy bikes that go faster than milk floats ;)

Tim

Hi Tim

We also like crutch rockets we also have a Ninja and a Busa in storage for when we go back on the bank. anyway lets go back to sorting this guys inverter problem out and the best of luck to him

John

Well, this is all very interesting!. FYI I drive a (BMW) Mini Cooper S (replacing a Saab T16S), sold my BMW ST800 earlier this year (which replaced a GS1150, replacing a 'Blade, replacing a...). I'm getting the impression that Victron inverter/chargers are better than Sterlings, but not as good as Mastervolts, and that a new Studer would be nice but even more expensive. We're not going to go down the route of fitting separate charger/inverter units as we like using cupboards for storage rather than for functional equipment. (For the same reason an engine room with a Gardner might be my romantic choice, but an under-step Beta 1505 is the functional reality.) It's looking like a Victron... Thanks, everyone. More comments welcome for the next 24 hours or so, before we have to do something! (thankfully) Sandra is on the job and waiting for us to choose what to do.