Where to leave our boat in the Oxford area.

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Next summer we are planning to take Helvetia down the Oxford canal and up the Thames to Lechlade and back, possibly also going downstream for a bit before returning to the Canal. As we do not get much enjoyment from over energetic cruising days, and prefer to limit cruises to about ten days at a time, we will need to leave Helvetia somewhere near Oxford for a couple of weeks whilst we return home.

We are quite prepared to pay for a short term mooring and are aware that Thrupp Canal Cruising Club sometimes have summer moorings available. However, I was wondering whether anyone could suggest any other places on the canal in the Oxford area where we could leave our boat.

Edited by David Schweizer

Eynsham Cruisers at Pinkhill (on the river) can usually fit a boat in short term

or try Medley Boat station (also on the river), again, they often have spaces for short term use

TBH - I'd try to go with Thrupp CCC if they can fit you in

I think that's Oxford Cruisers. Between Eynsham & Pinkhill ;)

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Bear in mind, that if you are leaving your boat on the Thames, you'll be liable for a short term iicence, whereas - assuming you are already licenced on CART waters - there's no more to pay.

If you've got a Gold licence - then I've wasted your time reading thus far.

The Thames licencing is weird, there's a limit on how long you can stay (I won't elaborate here - a bit complicated). EA are getting hot on unlicenced boats......

Other suggestions:-

Soverign narrowboats at Banbury,

Oxfordshire NBs at Heyford.

Both have train station nearby.

That said there's a good bus service into Oxford from Thrupp.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really do not want to leave the boat on the Thames, for a variety of reasons, so it is looking like Thrupp at the moment, which is not far from Duke's Cut. It is quite a while since we last went all the way down to Oxford and I just wondedered if there was anywhwere else that has set up in recent years that might be suitable.

I would second Lower Heyford.It's less than a day's cruise to Oxford, and the station could not be more convenient.

That's no exaggeration: the railway is literally 20 yards from Oxfordshire Narrowboats!

Regarding Sovereign Wharf, we stayed there on the weekend of the Banbury canal festival, they had a space as one of their long-term moorers was out for a few weeks, but in principle they are full. So you could be OK for a couple of weeks' stay, depending on the wandering tendencies of their regular moorers.

Regarding Sovereign Wharf, we stayed there on the weekend of the Banbury canal festival, they had a space as one of their long-term moorers was out for a few weeks, but in principle they are full. So you could be OK for a couple of weeks' stay, depending on the wandering tendencies of their regular moorers.

That's how TCCC do it. There's space as long as one of the long term moorers are away (and they've told the mooring warden that they're going and for how long).

To be fair, if you ask well ahead, they will normally fit you in some how. Don't turn up on spec and hope to find space on the club moorings.

• 2 weeks later...

We passed the place with the pigs, chickens and all the little lurchers last week. Looked lovely! Just how you'd expect a kid's toy of a pig farm to look, but not a real one!

I bet they're delicious too. :D And the moorings looked lovely (but sight hounds and cats are generally thought to be a very poor mix)!

Edited by Starcoaster

We passed the place with the pigs, chickens and all the little lurchers last week. Looked lovely! Just how you'd expect a kid's toy of a pig farm to look, but not a real one!

I bet they're delicious too. :D And the moorings looked lovely (but sight hounds and cats are generally thought to be a very poor mix)!

Their products are great. Lovely sausages. They used to do Bufalo Burgers - but I guess folks didn't want to pay the extra. A great shame all round as these small enterprises deserve support.

We have moored opposite several times and the dogs are no problem at night, but they do "shout" at any other passing dogs.

As you say a lovely place to moor and surprisingly quiet, given that the motorway and trains are clearly visible, not to mention the busy main road over the canal.