Fresh water pump.

johnmck

Featured Posts

Another vote for the Par Max. Also it's quieter than the Shurflo

Thank's again for the advice. Out of curiosity and as a technophobe of a high order, which par max would be compatable with the existing pump (as identified in the opening post). :blush:

we always keep a spare Shurflo pump on the boat, because despite Laurie's assurances, my experience concurs with that of Blackrose. they last about five years before the diaphragm seal starts to leak. You used to be able to buy a spare diaphragm, but nowadays you have to buty a complete diaphragm unit. Both the pump in service, and the spare have had a new diaphragm unit fitted at least once in their lifetime, the job takes about an hour and the spare cost about £28 (or £22 on a M/C Freaky Friday!)

We also keep a spare Alternator, which doesn't fail frequently but like the pump, when it does it is usually in the middle of nowhere.

Out of curiosity and as a technophobe of a high order, which par max would be compatable with the existing pump (as identified in the opening post).

I think that would be the ParMax 2.9. It is the one I use and have had no problems with it. Has locking connectors which are easy to disconnect as well - useful if you want to drain the system. It also seems to pump air quite well also, so can push the water out of the pipes.

I think that would be the ParMax 2.9. It is the one I use and have had no problems with it. Has locking connectors which are easy to disconnect as well - useful if you want to drain the system. It also seems to pump air quite well also, so can push the water out of the pipes.

:cheers:

Another good plan is to put another cold tap over your sink supplied by a small foot operated pump in a recess below and Tee'd into the main waterpipe between tank and main electric pump. This way you can always draw off tank water in the event of elec pump failure or flat batteries. This foot pump could be looped in to supply the existing cold tap but would probably need a one way valve which in hard limey water areas don't remain one way for long.

Or indeed a caravan type(Tap-pump)could be used. :)

We have two Shurflo 10.8s connected up all the time, with their pressure switches set to different pressures. When the demand is low only one pump runs, but if the accumulator pressure drops substantially such as when filling the sink right up, the second pump cuts in too. The advantage of this are that the 'spare' pump get regular test runs, no emergency work is required to get you going again if one pump fails, and you get 21 lpm flow rate when you need it. The pumps have internal check valves so that if a chamber valve or diaphragm fails the other pump can't force water back through it, however I have put isolating valves both sides of both pumps so that either can be shut off or removed without even turning the system off. The only snag I can see with this compared to having the spare in a box is that if you let the system freeze up, both pumps will have water in and likely both get frost cracked at the same time. Every few years I take the pumps out to inspect and clean them inside, and at the same time swap the pressures over to even out the rate of wear. The pumps are now about 14 and 16 years old respectively, I am not yet feeling the need to have a spare spare.

Lucien

Edited by Lucien

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Took the advice and bought a Par Max from the bottom lock chandlers at Braunston. Almost as good a price as online! :cheers:

• 4 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Well, just before we set off for our post Christmas cruise, the original Shurflo started leaking. Luckily, had a Parmax spare, so swopped and all good.

The leak/drip seems to be from the gasket. I have considered refurbing the Shurflo as a spare, but the parts seem to cost a mint and only available from ASAP Supplies or Midland Chandlers.

So, is it worth trying to refurb, or should I bite the bullet and get a new pump?

And Laurie, carrying a spare saved problems trying to source a replacement on boxing day.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Well, just before we set off for our post Christmas cruise, the original Shurflo started leaking. Luckily, had a Parmax spare, so swopped and all good.

The leak/drip seems to be from the gasket. I have considered refurbing the Shurflo as a spare, but the parts seem to cost a mint and only available from ASAP Supplies or Midland Chandlers.

So, is it worth trying to refurb, or should I bite the bullet and get a new pump?

And Laurie, carrying a spare saved problems trying to source a replacement on boxing day.

I have tried twice and wont waste my time again