Lister L.H. 1.5. Hydraulic Reversing Gear

RLWP

Featured Posts

As this box shares it's beginnings with the manual box, have a look at that first:

Lister Marine Gearbox Type SL4

OK, so it's a hydraulic version of the manual box, so we have the same set up. A cone clutch for forward, a brake band for reverse, reverse from a train of epicyclic gears and the box held in forward gear by a spring pack.

The front of the assembled box is pretty similar to the manual one:

clutches.jpg

This is the view from the flywheel looking back towards the prop shaft. The gear cluster is in the centre, surrounded by the brake band and gear housing.

Also in that view is the input shaft that is bolted to the flywheel:

inputshaft.jpg

No driveplates in a Lister

The difference to the manual box is, of course, the hydraulics. Lister mounted this at the bottom of the box, driven by a gear wheel on the input shaft:

pumpgears.jpg

Drive gear at centre, oil pump at bottom

The pump is a little gear pump with a pipe feeding up to the valve block at the top of the box:

oilpump.jpg

Richard

Right, so, the top of the box:

boxtop.jpg

Top right, mounted in the back of the box is the forward piston. Bottom left is the reverse piston.

This is the reverse band and piston:

reverseband.jpg

It is anchored bottom left with a pin in the housing. Top left is the pull rod from the piston, and the return spring.

When reverse is selected, oil passes to the bottom of this piston, lifting it up and pulling the band brake tight:

reversepiston.jpg

When forward or neutral is selected, the piston is pulled down by the return spring:

reversepiston2.jpg

The forward piston disengages forward gear by pushing this lever:

forwardpiston.jpg

Being a true marine box, if all else fails, this box sticks in forward. No oil? No piston travel, gear engaged. Pump fails, same thing. Piston sticks, same thing and so on

Richard

It seems odd, to add al the gubbins to create a hydraulic box, to a simple and reliable design. What was the rational behind this? Easier remote operation?

I guess so. It is an easier box to adjust as well

Richard

Anybody else having trouble with Photobucket? Rotated views don't always upload rotated

This box had a few problems. The reverse band had been dragging and was badly blistered. Old band at the front, new one at the rear:

reversebandblistered.jpg

It arrived at Primrose engineering because it was slipping in forwards. I wonder why?:

brokenforwardclutch.jpg

New forward clutch cone for comparison:

newforwardclutch.jpg

Also, the secondary shaft was badly worn by the oil seals:

secondaryshaftworn.jpg

Having priced up a new one, I decided to recondition this one instead. Firstly, I machined off the wear:

turneddown.jpg

Then chucked a piece of silver steel, drilled it out:

drilledout.jpg

Bored it out and parted off:

partoff.jpg

This made a sleeve that I push fitted onto the machined shaft, then turned to size:

sleeved.jpg

The clutch surfaces have grooves machined across them, perhaps to help engagement:

clutchhousing.jpg

I'm not sure I have shown this before, here are the various copper sealing washers being annealed:

annealing.jpg

Bring to red heat, then allow to cool.

Finally, the finished box:

box.jpg

It was yellow when it arrived, honest

Richard

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Now, if you happen to get in a Blackstone box, I'd be very interested to see that too. Finding information on the Blackstone has defeated me totally.

I did some work on a Blackstone recently, only adjustment though

Laurence Hogg has a publication that includes what I think is the Lister-Blackstone box:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160657900519

This is one of the images from the parts list:

JP0123.jpg

Note - this image belongs to LHP.

Richard

Richard Please clear your inbox

What? Clear out all that fascinating twaddle??

Richard

Will do

Richard,

Would it be worth pointing out that the "triangular" flange shown at the front of the box is actually bolted to the flywheel so when the box comes off it slides off the shaft. Perhaps of more importance is that this piece carries a gear in the hydraulic box and if great care is not taken to align the teeth on that gear and the oil pump then the oil pump shaft gets bent or broken, both as far as I know very expensive and maybe terminal the last time I enquired about a pump.

Cheers

Very true Tony

Richard

Actually when looking at your pics for the 'deliberate mistake', the lower pic suggests that the oil pump gear is in a different plane from the drive gear so I wondered whether it already had a bent shaft! Decided though it was just a camera lens distortion error.

What was the deliberate mistake, then?

Tim

• 6 years later...
19 minutes ago, Garry Edwards said:

Hello gentlemen I am new to this forum and I cannot view the photos re the SR4 gearbox and does anyone know where to get a manual as the motor and gearbox is in a 26ft wooden boat in Sydney Australia

Many thanks

Garry

Hi Garry,

Yes, Photobucket managed to wreck this one, I must rehost the pictures somewhere

We have manuals

Richard

On 01/02/2019 at 20:45, RLWP said:

Yes, Photobucket managed to wreck this one, I must rehost the pictures somewhere

You can view hidden photobucket files using Firefox and the "photobucket embed fix" add-on. But it seems that the original photos in this thread have been deleted from photobucket.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

You can view hidden photobucket files using Firefox and the "photobucket embed fix" add-on. But it seems that the original photos in this thread have been deleted from photobucket.

I got thoroughly p****d off with them and removed my stuff before they decided to either charge me for it or take ownership of it. I store all my images on my own website now

Richard