London design firm has proposed a new way for London commuters to get to work - by swimming. along the Regent's Canal

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

The 'lidoline' would create a special commuter lane in Regent's Canal, which spans London.

The idea, developed by design firm Y/N, has already won second prize in a contest organised by the Mayor of London, and the firm now hopes to attract funding to make the project a reality.

04_lidolineimage_gasometer_ynstudio_crop.jpg

01_lidolineimage_londonzoo_ynstudio.jpg

The people who thought of this must be on drugs.

Edited by nbfiresprite

Ooh they've also managed the common 'architects impression of the canals Fail' by getting the scale of the boats totally wrong. Look! The narrowboat is only fit for gnomes!

Where as the row boat is the size of a kerala houseboat!

Maybe they could employ the services of our very own Mr Fincher? I can see sickle being reinstated as an icebreaker to help all of those commuters to get to work...

Another example of their other-worldliness:

"the ‘lidoline’ flips the regents water-way as it was originally intended, connecting raw materials (people/workers) to the place

of production ..."

So we are RAW MATERIAL?

Another example of their other-worldliness:

"the ‘lidoline’ flips the regents water-way as it was originally intended, connecting raw materials (people/workers) to the place

of production ..."

So we are RAW MATERIAL?

If the swimming commuters were in the raw, they would not need material.

Don

Absolutely barking mad - some of the comments are interesting - as for ice breaking - it seems letting it deliberately freeze is part of the design (Not sure where this boat is supposed to go after it passes the foot bridge)

07_lidoline_winterscene_ynstudio.jpg

They would have to make the diving platform easier to use as clearly that poor girl upside down on the canal path has missed the water altogether.

But why not give it a go - I can see Boris now taking the inaugural plunge dressed in a victorian blue and white stripped swimsuit. Get him more supporters to take over from Dave the Broom.

• Greenie 1

I wonder how they get the skate way frozen hard enough to support people and still leave the boats in water?

If you look at the web page on the link in the OP they propose to place a 'mesh' of some description in the water to allow that bit to freeze....

as I say barking..

They would have to make the diving platform easier to use as clearly that poor girl upside down on the canal path has missed the water altogether.

greeny :lol: :lol: :cheers:

I am sure this is a much better way to get to work.........especially if you pick up the secretary and staff up on the way..

hottug04.jpg.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 2

The 'lidoline' would create a special commuter lane in Regent's Canal, which spans London.

The idea, developed by design firm Y/N, has already won second prize in a contest organised by the Mayor of London, and the firm now hopes to attract funding to make the project a reality.

04_lidolineimage_gasometer_ynstudio_crop.jpg

01_lidolineimage_londonzoo_ynstudio.jpg

The people who thought of this must be on drugs.

What exactly is a "Design Firm" and how do they make money from coming up with ridiculous ideas (and poor Photoshop) like this? If I was hiring someone to some sort of design and I saw that this was the extent of their Photoshopping skills, they would be so fired.

The pics of Hackney on the website, if put into reality would mean the demolition of:

A street of houses, a cleaning transport depot, the bridge which carries the main train line from Liverpool street to Hertfordshire, an iron foundry / smithy, and a pub. They thought that through then!