BSS examiner wanted

Pappa Lazarou

Featured Posts

I've picked up on nigel carton at Barton Turns, but can't find anything on radiomariner.

I'm here!

Shardlow is a bit out of my normal range. However here is link to my website. Click Here My charges and possible discounts are all quoted there.

I estimate extra travel charge to be £15

Not expecting to but hope to hear from you!

Edited by Radiomariner

Thanks everyone for your imput, the problem now is that I am spoilt for choise, while we are on the subject could anyone tell me what the criteria is regarding fire extinguishers,how many or what different types are needed?

Each portable fire extinguisher must have an individual fire rating of 5A/34B or greater.

The number of portable extinguishers and their combined fire ratings must be as prescribed below

Length of vessel

Under 7m (23ft) Minimum no of extinguishers 2 total rating of all extinguishers 10A/68B

7-11m (23-36ft) Minimum no of extinguishers 2 total rating of all extinguishers 13A/89B

Over 11m (36ft) Minimum no of extinguishers 3 total rating of all extinguishers 21A/144B

The minimum number of extinguishers may be reduced by a maximum of one 5A/34B rated extinguisher where the vessel has either no internal combustion engines, or no fuel-burning appliances.

Note that the minimum rating of each fire extinguisher must be 5A/34B and that if your boat is longer than 23 feet the required total number of extinguishers on the above table at these ratings do not meet the total rating requirement and an extra extinguisher would be required. There are available similar sized extinguishers of slightly higher ratings which meet the requirements above (8A/55B)

Usually these extinguishers are of the "dry powder" type but there is no reason within BSS why other types may not be installed as long as the above minimum requirements are met.

Edited to amend table that did not come out properly and to add link to BSS Guide which is a must read for anyone who has not had a BSS examination before. (There will be some changes to this guide after 1st Jan)

Essential Guide

Edited by Radiomariner

We had a mixture of 5A and 8A extinguishers on board but five in total and this exceeded the requirements.

We had to take off the 5A (3 in No) extinguishers and replace with a lower number of 8A (1 in No) extinguisher.

"it's my signature on the certificate" was the explanation.

Also, two gas lockers on Cruiser Stern either side. More than the height of a gas bottle. One bottle in each locker. One connected, one not in use and NOT connected. In each locker a 90 degree turn valve with reducer and connector 2/3s deep into locker. Failed inspection as someone may accidentally turn on the NOT in use valve.

How? was my question. No answer.

Why? Was another. "it's my signature on the certificate".

One of the supply valves had to be isolated.

We won't be using this examiner again. And he was grumpy.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

We had a mixture of 5A and 8A extinguishers on board but five in total and this exceeded the requirements.

We had to take off the 5A (3 in No) extinguishers and replace with a lower number of 8A (1 in No) extinguisher.

"it's my signature on the certificate" was the explanation.

Also, two gas lockers on Cruiser Stern either side. More than the height of a gas bottle. One bottle in each locker. One connected, one not in use and NOT connected. In each locker a 90 degree turn valve with reducer and connector 2/3s deep into locker. Failed inspection as someone may accidentally turn on the NOT in use valve.

How? was my question. No answer.

Why? Was another. "it's my signature on the certificate".

One of the supply valves had to be isolated.

We won't be using this examiner again. And he was grumpy.

Martyn

"it's my signature on the certificate" is an extremely unhelpful explaination. The BSS is supposed to be "helpfull" to boaters. No matter whether "wrong" or "right" his attitude was wrong.

Ref your 5A extinguishers. What was the "B" rating. If it was less than 34 then the examiner was correct. If it was above 34 he was wrong.

About your LPG bottle arrangement. I take it that both bottles, if connected, go to a common line. The danger is almost as the examiner said, though I would have said "in case the valve for the bottle not connected is inadvertantly left open". It can happen nobody is infallable. It would be better and permissable if both bottles were connected up. Otherwise, the line (from the unused gas locker to the main circuit) should considered unused and must be capped. A closed valve can not be considered to be a cap. I imagine these "isolating" valves are there to replace gas bottles without interrupting the supply from the one in use.

What did he ask you to do to comply?

Edited by Radiomariner

Thanks everyone for your imput, the problem now is that I am spoilt for choise, while we are on the subject could anyone tell me what the criteria is regarding fire extinguishers,how many or what different types are needed?

Hi

Ive got three 6kg powder. You can legaly get away with silly piddly things but I want to be able to put the fire out rather than just frighten it. Jon Mac at Sawley marina did my boat a couple of months ago, he is first class in every respect his number is 07793823910

Tim

"it's my signature on the certificate" is an extremely unhelpful explaination. The BSS is supposed to be "helpfull" to boaters. No matter whether "wrong" or "right" his attitude was wrong.

Ref your 5A extinguishers. What was the "B" rating. If it was less than 34 then the examiner was correct. If it was above 34 he was wrong.

About your LPG bottle arrangement. I take it that both bottles, if connected, go to a common line. The danger is almost as the examiner said, though I would have said "in case the valve for the bottle not connected is inadvertantly left open". It can happen nobody is infallable. It would be better and permissable if both bottles were connected up. Otherwise, the line (from the unused gas locker to the main circuit) should considered unused and must be capped. A closed valve can not be considered to be a cap. I imagine these "isolating" valves are there to replace gas bottles without interrupting the supply from the one in use.

What did he ask you to do to comply?

Thanks for your reply to my post.

I have just had a look and the extinguishers I took off were '34' rated.

Regarding the gas valve, I was advised to cap off the inlet. he made no suggestion that I could carryout this task. I thought for a mo and then asked him if 'I' could do it as he would have to re-inspect. the answer was yes, of course. I was a bit miffed that he hadn't suggested this in the first instance. Not very helpful in my opinion.

To change over the bottles from empty to the full one I had in fact a very detailed instruction (if I wasn't there) on how to do it. Turn off bottle,turn of tap (in gas locker) Disconnect bottle. Go to other locker and reverse procedure. Now we have to disconnect empty bottle and change over the bottles and reconnect and so on. If I'm not there my wife, or a another has to develop muscles. To connect both bottles with the 'not in use' valve shut was not suggested. I just feel that he was 'a bit strict' (and grumpy)

When we booked him he said that if there was anything that needed a quick fix then that could be done and no need for a re visit. However that wasn't the case. A re visit was required.

Not a big deal and no-one was hurt!! Just disappointment. I realise everyone is different, just like an MOT on a car. You stay with the guy you like, or not.

Martyn

Martyn

Thanks for your reply to my post.

I have just had a look and the extinguishers I took off were '34' rated.

Regarding the gas valve, I was advised to cap off the inlet. he made no suggestion that I could carryout this task. I thought for a mo and then asked him if 'I' could do it as he would have to re-inspect. the answer was yes, of course. I was a bit miffed that he hadn't suggested this in the first instance. Not very helpful in my opinion.

To change over the bottles from empty to the full one I had in fact a very detailed instruction (if I wasn't there) on how to do it. Turn off bottle,turn of tap (in gas locker) Disconnect bottle. Go to other locker and reverse procedure. Now we have to disconnect empty bottle and change over the bottles and reconnect and so on. If I'm not there my wife, or a another has to develop muscles. To connect both bottles with the 'not in use' valve shut was not suggested. I just feel that he was 'a bit strict' (and grumpy)

When we booked him he said that if there was anything that needed a quick fix then that could be done and no need for a re visit. However that wasn't the case. A re visit was required.

Not a big deal and no-one was hurt!! Just disappointment. I realise everyone is different, just like an MOT on a car. You stay with the guy you like, or not.

Martyn

Martyn

No failure then on the extinguisher requirement, the examiner was wrong there.

Failure on the gas yes. To be fair to the examiner, it would be remiss of him to suggest that you do the work yourself. The work should be done by a competent person, and he would not have a clue as to your level of competence. If the owner tells me that he is competent enough I am usually prepared to wait a while. (Cup of tea usually necessary), check that the work complies and do a further tightness test. After all, I do not wish to have to make a return visit either.

Did he charge you for the return visit? (Just curiousity, I do local return visits for free)

Edited to add, my final comments refer to privately owned, non residential boats only. Hire/residential require all gas work to be done by a registered fitter.

Edited by Radiomariner