Industrial Vandalism?

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Poulters Bridge on the Basingstoke Canal has been repaired recently. This structure is at least 220 years old (although it's clearly been through a number of reincarnations and/or repairs over that time).

When Surrey and Hampshire Canal Society were repairing Slades Bridge at the western end of the canal the late Pete Redway spent weeks (if not months) ensuring he had the correct bricks and the correct mix of lime mortar to ensure the repair was as invisible as possible and that repairs were undertaken in conjunction with, and to the standards of, the County (Hampshire) and District (Hart) conservation officers.

The repair (as shown in the photograph taken by David Jackson) can only be described as industrial vandalism in my view - how this type of repair could either be authorised or approved is quite beyond my comprehension. I think those responsible should should hang their heads in abject shame for standing by and watching our heritage being defaced in such an appalling way. I suspect their answer will be that it was cheaper to do it this way - cheaper in the short-term may be but more expensive in the longer term and an absolute disgrace to our industrial heritage. Any thoughts or comments to Hart District Council (heritage at hart dot gov dot uk).

The bridge before repairs.

P1010548_01.jpg

And after

P1010627_04.jpg

Give it time to weather, and blend in. I'm sure, that in the 220 years, previous repairs will not have used exactly the same bricks and mortar either.

And I wonder what people used to say, 200 years ago, when these newfangled steam engines started replacing mills....

I'm sure that NIMBY's must have been around throughout the ages. In fact, Sydney Gardens in Bath is a very good example of that. :captain:

Give it time to weather, and blend in. I'm sure, that in the 220 years, previous repairs will not have used exactly the same bricks and mortar either.

And I wonder what people used to say, 200 years ago, when these newfangled steam engines started replacing mills....

I'm sure that NIMBY's must have been around throughout the ages. In fact, Sydney Gardens in Bath is a very good example of that. :captain:

That's an interesting view and a different slant on the issue. Not one I personally support when I know how much time and effort went into repairing another Basingstoke Bridge 15 years ago. The repairs to that bridge were almost invisible some three (winter) months later. There's plenty of suitable bricks around and the Canal Society have the formula for mixing the lime mortar.

Will the current repairs be visible in 220 years time - not sure I'll be around to see!!!!

It would certainly have looked better if they had used reclaimed bricks which match the existing colour and weathering better, they wouldn't have needed that many either.

Mortar though is harder to 'weather' and it still would have stood out to a degree even if they had used reclaimed materials.

The use of new brick can be justified to some extent in that it does show the areas which have been repaired, and thus explains part of the history of the bridge visually. What I don't like is the poor quality brickwork, where half bricks have replaced broken stretchers, and the poor curvature to the new brickwork.

As the previous repair is just as visible, though now weathered, hasn't a precedent been set already?...

...and what must the local historians have thought when those giant penny washers were installed, to stop the bridge from spreading?

looks like the same type of brick just brand new, can you expect them to scour reclamation yards to match the bricks exactly ?

Though i expect the original bricks were locally sourced, so there should be some reclaimed ones around.

There's a garage full of them but one of the issues of having County Councils own the structures (as well as the canal) is that they will not ask even if we plead with them to ask us. The Canal Society has 46 years of experience (and bits and pieces lying around!) but the Counties always know better (and on some things they do) but all we ask is that they ask us and 99 times out of a hundred we'll know where the appropriate bits are. It doesn't help, of course, the the Counties have had a huge turnover of staff and are always reorganising! We'll keep trying!

I accept that the bricks used in the repair probably are good engineering bricks but we could have given them bricks that look so much better and don't compromise, IMHO, the work being done.

I see no major issue with this. Why replace old materials with old materials? Surely the idea is to repair so it lasts longer. I would probably write a strongly worded letter to my local MP if they knocked the bridge down and put a flat top steel modern art type in its place but this repair is surely in keeping and will extend the life and safety of the structure. I am failing to see where your issue is?

Looks ok to me, it's a brick bridge repaired with bricks. If it was a stone structure and they'd botched it up with bricks then yuk!

Completely agree. If you want to go down the heritage route from 220 years ago then surely all the bricks used at the time were new and not reclaimed! Bridges would have all been smooth and shiney, cuttings would have been scars on the landscape with no trees or growth, locks and weirs would've changed local water flows. The answer therefore is surely replace all the bricks in new to match and not try to match the old!

I must admit I am surprised that no one seems overly concerned. As I said in my original post the Canal Society (when they were allowed to undertake repairs) where directed every time to match the structure with similar bricks (which were available from a bridge that was taken down and not replaced if my memory serves me correctly) and also match the lime mortar but may be that's 'progress'.

I personally think it looks completely out of place.

The part of the canal I live alongside in Surrey is a conservation area; I assume (but ought to know) if the area where the bridge in question is is also part of the Conservation area and if it is then I would have thought matching the structure is implicit in the repair. All of it is an SSSI but that doesn't help with the structures!

I must admit I am surprised that no one seems overly concerned. As I said in my original post the Canal Society (when they were allowed to undertake repairs) where directed every time to match the structure with similar bricks (which were available from a bridge that was taken down and not replaced if my memory serves me correctly) and also match the lime mortar but may be that's 'progress'.

I personally think it looks completely out of place.

The part of the canal I live alongside in Surrey is a conservation area; I assume (but ought to know) if the area where the bridge in question is is also part of the Conservation area and if it is then I would have thought matching the structure is implicit in the repair. All of it is an SSSI but that doesn't help with the structures!

See no issue in the slightest and would actually be rather concerned of older materials were used to replace the older materials as how would that save the structure? What I do think though is that if you compare the two pictures it is obvious that the issue was caused by the cyclists as it must have been their sign being drilled into the brickwork that caused the weakness!

See no issue in the slightest and would actually be rather concerned of older materials were used to replace the older materials as how would that save the structure? What I do think though is that if you compare the two pictures it is obvious that the issue was caused by the cyclists as it must have been their sign being drilled into the brickwork that caused the weakness!

Not several hundred years of horses ears then? Tough things these horses ears you know.

If it was better to blend in to the remaining structure, why not take a handful of muck and dredgings and smear the new with it. It won't smooth the edges, but the mortar will likely take some of the colour of mud, and lessen the harshness. The fact remains - it has been repaired, though having worked with some fine craftsmen in the past I know it is possible to make good without appearing it to be so obvious.

Red and white tape! Are they trying to hide the blood stains?

For serious industrial vandalism - watch BW at work in our 'Disappearing Heritage' booklet! Available through HNBC.

I suspect that white cement has been used to simulate lime mortar, if this is the case it won't be too long before it cracks and falls apart.

The main reason for using original materials to repair brickwork is that buildings of lime mortar are constantly on the move, unlike buildings with cement mortar that are rigid, hence the massive concrete foundations used on the smallest of buildings these days. Likewise, if reclaimed bricks had been used for this repair with cement mortar, then the bricks would crack first because they would be the weak link.

There is no excuse for a bodge of this nature, there's no shortage of knowledge on this subject.

As I say, it won't last long but in the meantime I suggest painting some active yoghurt over it to ''age it'' and encourage moss growth.

Keith

P1010627_04.jpg

Is it just me that can see that this is a modern repair of a not so modern repair?

The modern bricks that have been replaced have spalled badly, unlike the originals, further round the arch.

The tie bars and giant washers are non-original and just as obvious as the old and new repairs so this is a patchwork of different repairs at different times of the bridge's life.

If the bridge had been totally original then I could understand your point but, in my opinion, the bricks are a reasonable, unweathered match for the ones they have replaced but not the originals.

• Greenie 1

P1010627_04.jpg

Is it just me that can see that this is a modern repair of a not so modern repair?

The modern bricks that have been replaced have spalled badly, unlike the originals, further round the arch.

The tie bars and giant washers are non-original and just as obvious as the old and new repairs so this is a patchwork of different repairs at different times of the bridge's life.

If the bridge had been totally original then I could understand your point but, in my opinion, the bricks are a reasonable, unweathered match for the ones they have replaced but not the originals.

Yes, I see what you're saying Carl but that not so modern repair is not so old, by the look of it.

IMO, the whole section should have been taken down and re done. I can't agree with the bricks being a reasonable match, they're smooth red whereas the originals are red stock multis. As for the tie bars, well no they're not original, there's no such thing, as I'm sure you know they are fitted to avoid demolition and rebuilding of a structure that would otherwise, eventually, collapse.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Poulters Bridge on the Basingstoke Canal has been repaired recently. This structure is at least 220 years old (although it's clearly been through a number of reincarnations and/or repairs over that time).

When Surrey and Hampshire Canal Society were repairing Slades Bridge at the western end of the canal the late Pete Redway spent weeks (if not months) ensuring he had the correct bricks and the correct mix of lime mortar to ensure the repair was as invisible as possible and that repairs were undertaken in conjunction with, and to the standards of, the County (Hampshire) and District (Hart) conservation officers.

The repair (as shown in the photograph taken by David Jackson) can only be described as industrial vandalism in my view - how this type of repair could either be authorised or approved is quite beyond my comprehension. I think those responsible should should hang their heads in abject shame for standing by and watching our heritage being defaced in such an appalling way. I suspect their answer will be that it was cheaper to do it this way - cheaper in the short-term may be but more expensive in the longer term and an absolute disgrace to our industrial heritage. Any thoughts or comments to Hart District Council (heritage at hart dot gov dot uk).

The bridge before repairs.

P1010548_01.jpg

And after

P1010627_04.jpg

Its allways the sameallways will be as long as we have people in charge who have no KNOWLEGE or LOVE of the canal.This is from some who has worked on and for the Basingstoke for over 40 years