Lock-free or few-lock 1 week cruise

dil

Featured Posts

ONE THING for sure DO`NT do the broads....boring....

just got back from doing them and will not be hurrying back....

Must say I have to disagree :blink:

We have been to the Broads many times over the years and are very much looking forward to taking NC again next summer. We love the place, there is so much to see and do and there is a variety to the place.

We do however have the journey to get there as well. Lincoln to Lowestoft is a decent trip in itself, and then the trip back, Great Yarmouth to Wells next the Sea and hopefully this time a night or two in Blakeney as well before heading back to Boston and then ultimately Lincoln. A great two week trip if the weather plays ball :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

The canal de garonne bordeaux towards toulouse. All electric locks, hire a narrowboat from minervois cruisers ( part of napton narrowboats). Same boats. Or canal du midi not as good, funny shaped locks and high bnks. Very old though, predates that new-fangled bridgewater thing by 100 years.

Bill Adam

The canal de garonne bordeaux towards toulouse. All electric locks, hire a narrowboat from minervois cruisers ( part of napton narrowboats). Same boats. Or canal du midi not as good, funny shaped locks and high bnks. Very old though, predates that new-fangled bridgewater thing by 100 years.

Bill Adam

Advert, or what?

Advert, or what?

In response to Grahams query "What?".

Surely an advert would extol the virtues of one product over all others?

You will not see this in my post. I compare the high banks and curved locks unfavourably but put it down to its age. I give the name of a narrowboat hire company on the canals for informaton and make no claim for their superiority or otherwise. I give information on their connection with Napton Narrowboats as it allows one to see the nature of their boats without going to the south of France.

Bill Adam

Edited by Bill2

Thank you all for your swift responses - a great help! Maybe we'll do the North Oxford-Ashby one trip and the Mon & Brec for another. I notice a slight lack of enthusiasm for the Lancaster?! Will keep an eye open for any more replies. Happy boating!

Sorry missed this! The Lancaster is a great canal - we spent the best part of a year on it and I can't recommend it highly enough, particularly (for us) the bit that goes right next to Morcambe Bay. I'd be happy to provide more information if you need it - feel free to PM me :)

Sorry missed this! The Lancaster is a great canal - we spent the best part of a year on it and I can't recommend it highly enough, particularly (for us) the bit that goes right next to Morcambe Bay. I'd be happy to provide more information if you need it - feel free to PM me :)

Been years since we did the lancaster,but,the bit next to Morecombe Bay. Can't fault you on that one.

Loved every minute of it. (it was our first time on a boat) But I'd definitely do it again one day.

But I need to see so much more of the network first lol

Thank you all for your swift responses - a great help! Maybe we'll do the North Oxford-Ashby one trip and the Mon & Brec for another. I notice a slight lack of enthusiasm for the Lancaster?! Will keep an eye open for any more replies. Happy boating!

Don't dismiss the Lancaster

There are some beautiful stretches on there.

Our first trip and gave us a taster of the waterways :)

Hi Folks :)

Suprised no ones mentioned the Union canal in Scotland, 32 miles of lock free cruising, 3 aqueducts, the slateford, the almond, the avon, castles and history galore en route, and the Falkirk wheel as icing on the cake, not forgetting plenty of choice for single malt whiskys :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks :)

Suprised no ones mentioned the Union canal in Scotland, 32 miles of lock free cruising, 3 aqueducts, the slateford, the almond, the avon, castles and history galore en route, and the Falkirk wheel as icing on the cake, not forgetting plenty of choice for single malt whiskys :cheers:

Take it there are no fans herabouts of Scottish canals :o :o

Take it there are no fans herabouts of Scottish canals :o :o

Sorry - missed this one! Totally agree - we hired a boat from Falkirk to Edinburgh recently and it was great. As an added bonus we arrived in Edinburgh just in time to catch the tail end of the Festival - free accommodation within walking distance of the City - what more can you ask!

Recommendation seconded :)

Sorry - missed this one! Totally agree - we hired a boat from Falkirk to Edinburgh recently and it was great. As an added bonus we arrived in Edinburgh just in time to catch the tail end of the Festival - free accommodation within walking distance of the City - what more can you ask!

Recommendation seconded :)

I genuinely envy you, and to time your arrival with Edinburgh festival as well.

I used to live in a canal side cottage at Winchburgh and from there spent many back breaking hours removing rubbish from the canal along with a small number of canal enthusiasts. Would love to base my recently bought N/B up there.

I note your N/B name is Iona, have you been there too ?

Sorry .....gone of topic a tad wee bit :blush:

Seconded. And it would be difficult to be worried about the Hawkesbury Junction lock - it's about 6" or something! Great countryside and lots of lovely moorings. Excellence Afloat's boats would be my choice

Last year I took out a group of non-boating friends for a day trip up to Hawksbury and back and whilst showing one of the all girl group who was well known for her straight talking, how to operate Sutton Stop, we were approached by the captain of a very shiny boat who was waiting to pass through in the opposite direction. The friend I was demonstrating the lock to is a bit of a stunner, or at least Captain Shiny Hat seemed to think so and he started to try to chat her up. Obviously referring to the lock he said in a very condescending manner 'Oh what a lot of fuss over just six inches' to which my friend replied without any hesitation 'It usually is dear'

I genuinely envy you, and to time your arrival with Edinburgh festival as well.

I used to live in a canal side cottage at Winchburgh and from there spent many back breaking hours removing rubbish from the canal along with a small number of canal enthusiasts. Would love to base my recently bought N/B up there.

I note your N/B name is Iona, have you been there too ?

Sorry .....gone of topic a tad wee bit :blush:

I wouldn't worry - off topic is the norm for this forum :D

No, we haven't been to Iona - it's one of the many places that we want to visit :)

I wouldn't worry - off topic is the norm for this forum :D

No, we haven't been to Iona - it's one of the many places that we want to visit :)

Do try and visit Iona as in addition to its christain connections its also a very special place. I used to be a tour coach driver in Scotland and took visitors to Iona often. Driving a coach on Mull is kinda fun too, dodging the sheep sleeping on the single track road and many deer at night just wandering out in front of you. :o

Another interesting place to visit in that area is Barra, apart from arriving via ferry one can fly in and land on the beach ! .......at low tide of course :lol:

Can you remember if there was a water available on the Union Canal at Bellsmill Wharf ?(Winchburgh) I'm sure water is available at Linlithgow as they were very organised there 30 years ago, and I sure water is available at Ratho, not sure about Broxburn :unsure:

Edited by Kyloe