"Sarpedon" Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Butty Fleet No 350

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

"Sickle's" originally intended butty pairing was GUCCCo no 350 "Sarpedon", delivered at the same time in 1936.

As both were health registered at the same time, it is quite possible, (but not proven), that they are a pair that may have worked together when new, (unlike many that never did).

"Sarpedon" is probably one of the less well known of the GUCCCo fleet, and at the moment I'm reliant on sources that are not necessarily 100% accurate, (as we are regularly warned!).

It to have been sold off to the grand Union Canal carrying company, along with most of the other "Middle Northwich" buttys to use for pumping or dredging work, and to have passed to Harvey Taylors around 1951, when it was renamed Irene. It moved to the Samuel Barlow Coal Carrying Company's fleet in 1955, where it remained until they were taken on by Blue Line, but is one of the boats that Blue Line then quickly disposed of. (As an aside, I find it interesting they retained wooden buttys whilst disposing of an all steel one, although by then Sarpedon was a lot older than some of the wooden boats).

Sources say the boat subsequently given a full cabin conversion, was renamed again to "Anna", although may subsequently have reverted to her original name.

However I have failed to turn up any recent pictures of her on the web.

If anybody knows more of the history of this boat, (which I gather worked with "Beatty"), I would be most interested. Also of any known current location ?

Also if anybody can provide recent pictures, which it would be permissible to use on pages about "Sickle" then I would alds be really grateful.

Of course I would kill for a picture of Sickle paired with Sarpedon - but I rather think nobody is going to have one of those. (Unless you know otherwise..... :lol:)

I'd have said retaining the two wooden butties that were less than a decade old was the sensible thing to do, especially since the yard's expertise was in building and maintaining wooden boats.

It is also worthy of note that the two wooden butties spent a lot longer extant and have a much brighter future than Blue Line's metal butty, Belmont.

It is also worthy of note that the two wooden butties spent a lot longer extant and have a much brighter future than Blue Line's metal butty, Belmont.

Are you now saying that Raymond is still Raymond then ? Also, it is fair to say that Belmont is hardly typical of the genre, isn't it ?

Tongue firmly in cheek, but, I think I would rather someone gave me Renfrew or Stanton than say Ian, or even Roger.

I knew I should not have diverted my own thread with throw away comments before it even started! :lol:

...... So does anybody know about Sarpedon, or is able to supply photos, please ? :rolleyes:

Alan

I am sure you must have seen this but just in case http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29094&st=20

Yes thanks, I have.

I'm really after some more recent pictures, and that I can reuse freely with no ownership / copyright issues.

"Sickle's" originally intended butty pairing was GUCCCo no 350 "Sarpedon", delivered at the same time in 1936.

As both were health registered at the same time, it is quite possible, (but not proven), that they are a pair that may have worked together when new, (unlike many that never did).

If anybody knows more of the history of this boat, (which I gather worked with "Beatty"), I would be most interested. Also of any known current location ?

Not only do SICKLE and SARPEDON have consecutive health registration numbers but they also have consecutive Grand Union Canal gauge numbers, again supporting that it is likely that they initially worked together. I can also confirm that these two boats were delivered as a pair when new.

SARPEDON has been used a house boat for several years and ties at Ashwood Basin on the Staffs & Worc's Canal (although I have not photographed it since 1999).

Edited by pete harrison

The boat has been at Ashwood for years, I think in the late seventies, early 80's it was named "Princess" for a while. As far as I know it is still there.

Edited to add error is "Cetus" was renamed "Princess" not "Sarpedon" and was on the Staffs & Worcs at same time. (too many years!!)

Edited by Laurence Hogg

SARPEDON has been used a house boat for several years and ties at Ashwood Basin on the Staffs & Worc's Canal (although I have not photographed it since 1999).

The boat has been at Ashwood for years, I think in the late seventies, early 80's it was named "Princess" for a while. As far as I know it is still there.

Many thanks both - that is the information I have seen elsewhere, (other than the "Princess" naming bit), so sounds like it is still there ?

It is not that long since we were down that bit of the S&W, so a shame I didn't think to go looking for it. I assume it can't easily be spotted from the main line ?

Pete, I know you are reluctant to hand out your detailed research information to non-owners, but can you say if anything I put it my original post looks incorrect in respect of Sarpedon, please ?

Alan

Pete, I know you are reluctant to hand out your detailed research information to non-owners, but can you say if anything I put it my original post looks incorrect in respect of Sarpedon, please ?

Alan

There are few people who will dispute what you wrote in post number 1 of this thread.

Alan,

Below are pictures of Sarpedon in 2011 at Ashwood Marina on the S & W Canal:

img3251lw.jpg

img3250h.jpg

Just for your information, the motor boat stern seen in Laurence's picture of Irene on Harris's Dock, Netherton is Beatty. The boats worked together for Barlows from 1955 to the end of 1959 when Beatty was sold for conversion. There is a photograph of Beatty and Irene in Hillmorton Top Lock, published in April 2011 Waterways World.

Edited by grunders

Here you are Alan, Sarpedon as Irene on Harris dock Netherton, please acknowledge LHP if you use it elsewhere.

gallery_5000_522_90058.jpg

Thanks Laurence

I have a strange affinity with Harris brothers, as our first boat was shortened by them and converted to leisure use in the early 1960s. As you can imagine, not a weld on it anywhere!

Alan,

Below are pictures of Sarpedon in 2011 at Ashwood Marina on the S & W Canal:

img3251lw.jpg

img3250h.jpg

Just for your information, the motor boat stern seen in Laurence's picture of Irene on Harris's Dock, Netherton is Beatty.

Brilliant - well done that man!

She certainly has "the look" - love it!

She appears to have been motorised, as she has fishplates at the stern ? I wonder if she still is, and whether she ever moves ? Also has an "interesting" rivetted patch at about the natural front end of the back cabin!

Can I use these on the page I'm putting together for Sickle, please, and if so do I credit you ? If not, who, please ?

Brilliant - well done that man!

She certainly has "the look" - love it!

She appears to have been motorised, as she has fishplates at the stern ? I wonder if she still is, and whether she ever moves ? Also has an "interesting" rivetted patch at about the natural front end of the back cabin!

Can I use these on the page I'm putting together for Sickle, please, and if so do I credit you ? If not, who, please ?

Hi Alan,

Yes; feel free to use either image, or both images, on your page. The above photos should be credited to Nick Grundy.

I also took a single photo of Sarpedon, the thumbnail link for which is below. It is higher resolution than the above photos. If you use it, please credit it to Ben Grundy.

20110803145228127.th.jpg

I wonder if the patch is the reason SARPEDON / IRENE is at Harris's as it is clearly visible in the older photograph :captain:

It certainly looks exactly the kind of thing they might have done!

Hi Alan,

Yes; feel free to use either image, or both images, on your page. The above photos should be credited to Nick Grundy.

I also took a single photo of Sarpedon, the thumbnail link for which is below. It is higher resolution than the above photos. If you use it, please credit it to Ben Grundy.

20110803145228127.th.jpg

Splendid - Thank you.

• 6 years later...

Hi there, is Anyone still looking for information about Middle northwich butty  Sarpedon? Good friend of mine owns her. I can get close up pictures of her if anyone would like to see her as she is now. she is still lying in Ashwood basin where she has been since the early 80's. She has been maintained well and is in great condition. When my friend bought her she had a Lister JP2 fitted though now removed. 

Hope this is of some interest. 

Kind regards Adam

11 hours ago, Agenoria1988 said:

Hi there, is Anyone still looking for information about Middle northwich butty  Sarpedon? Good friend of mine owns her. I can get close up pictures of her if anyone would like to see her as she is now. she is still lying in Ashwood basin where she has been since the early 80's. She has been maintained well and is in great condition. When my friend bought her she had a Lister JP2 fitted though now removed. 

Hope this is of some interest. 

Kind regards Adam

Hi Adam,

Welcome,

I'm the original thread starter, and still own "Sickle", the original intended pairing of motor to "Sarpedon".

I would be very interested to see pictures of "Sarpedon" as she is now.

It would be even better if I could use them for a post on both "Sickle's" blog and "Sickle's" Facebook page.

I can't recall if I knew that "Sarpedon" had ever been motorised, but a LIster JP2 in a butty conversion sounds pretty unusual!

Hi Alan,

I was sat on Sarpedon with my friend Terry yesterday evening having a coffee! Talking about her history. So me being Mr inquisitive searched Google last night and found your post.

Originally she carried coal before being sold off to the GUCCC. She has even been used in a bollywood FILM! Indeed she had a JP2 fitted and used as a pleasure craft. Terry took it out and sold the motor not long after she was permanently moored in Ashwood basin.

She had a new base plate and was overplated to the waterline. She hasn't moved since the early 80's and is rolled on her sides to be blacked every few years. Terry said if she were ever to be used as a butty again she'd need her sides pulling in.

I will go and see Terry later on today as I'm down the marina working on My boat and take some pictures of her for you and with his permission I'll forward them to you.

I'll sit and do a write up about her history. Thanks for replying to my post I will tell Terry about sickle and her intended pairing with Sarpedon! I'm sure he will love to hear about it. 

I'll be in touch. 

Regards Adam.