Wrongbow

Wanted

Featured Posts

Years ago some friends with an elderly orchard bought an equally elderly press and made some 'cider' with that year's crop. In the fullnss of time we were invited round to be the first to try. They had decanted it into an oak barrel put sideways on supports in their hallway. It was a very old house with flagstone floors that had withstood the test of time, but not that cider. As we waited for our glasses to be filled we noticed the indentation in the stone where it had been drip, drip, dripping.....

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Loved the Blog. Might give this a go with grape juice and Oak shavings, and make my version of Merlot, shatow de Canal (hic)

You do need to "roast" the oak shavings before adding to the fermenting brew. The finer the roasted shavings, the more oakiness you will impart.

cheers.gif

I too enjoyed the blog. been thinking of making my own cider. I have a couple of apple trees on my allotment that should be capable of producing a proper crop if I move them. Unfortuately once I move onto the boat I lose the allotment because I will no longer be a council tax payer! Still, I can practice aquaponics with unlimited water! YAY!

Did so remind me of my 21st Birthday (Loongg ago!) when I had the raging flu so hunkered down with a roaring fire (think Scotland, mid january, horizontal snow!) and bottle of my Mum's homemade wine! (I come from a long line of home brewers- Dads beer was [in]famous) Not sure Mum cured the flu but I was feeling no pain! lol!

Thanks for the chuckle and trip down memory lane.