Wrongbow

Wanted

Featured Posts

So, after a fairly successful summer of ginger beer production and a year of sloe gin steeping, I am turning my hand to cider making. Not in the style that would honour my Dorset roots, no, this is turbo cider...

I'm blogging about it here http://wrongbow.blogspot.co.uk/

I have been told that if this works I will be allowed to buy a small cider press!

Right, off to Lidl!

What is your calculated alcohol percentage? Did you add the amount of sugar according to the content of sugar in the Apple juice? Take great care when using store bought juice, that theres no preservatives. Send me your current postal address (PM) and I'll send you a few satchels of Champagne jeast which has a cleaner fermentation. No nasties :)

What is your calculated alcohol percentage? Did you add the amount of sugar according to the content of sugar in the Apple juice? Take great care when using store bought juice, that theres no preservatives. Send me your current postal address (PM) and I'll send you a few satchels of Champagne jeast which has a cleaner fermentation. No nasties :)

Cheers Benjt,

I think I should get between 10-12% using pure from concentrate juice. I may go easy on the sugar and re sweeten if necessary....

I'll PM you my address.

ETA, I have just noticed that the yeast I have is champagne yeast, happy days!

Edited by Wanted

So, after a fairly successful summer of ginger beer production and a year of sloe gin steeping, I am turning my hand to cider making. Not in the style that would honour my Dorset roots, no, this is turbo cider...

I'm blogging about it here http://wrongbow.blogspot.co.uk/

I have been told that if this works I will be allowed to buy a small cider press!

Right, off to Lidl!

We've managed to make a good quaffing wine from cartons of pressed grape and apple juice.

Good luck with your cider endeavours :cheers:

We've got an ancient apple tree and there is a constant dilemma, this time of year, about whether to make pies, chutneys or cider/wine with its meagre annual crop.

Chutney has won this year with one batch of windfall wine (most of its apples drop too early).

We've got an ancient apple tree and there is a constant dilemma, this time of year, about whether to make pies, chutneys or cider/wine with its meagre annual crop.

Chutney has won this year with one batch of windfall wine (most of its apples drop too early).

My dream is to buy a butty and kit it out to produce cider. Scatter press the lot! For now though my budget stretches to Lidl only at the moment.

Beetroot apple and ginger chutney. Mmmmm...

Just read the blog.

Sounds so simple lol

Looking forward to the hearing of the end result. Must admit the home made ginger beer sounds good too.

Tried home made lager about 20 years ago. I somehow lived to tell the tale. Absolutely disgusting.

I fancy having a go at something now lol

20 years ago when i was an apprentice i made a bin full of the stuff, a bloke down the pub who worked in a brewery told me to double the sugar and put a small bottle of Guiness in there, most of it self detonated in the cupboard under the stairs, and the rest was like double concentrated special brew. It was hard work drinking it, but we did.

20 years ago when i was an apprentice i made a bin full of the stuff, a bloke down the pub who worked in a brewery told me to double the sugar and put a small bottle of Guiness in there, most of it self detonated in the cupboard under the stairs, and the rest was like double concentrated special brew. It was hard work drinking it, but we did.

A true pioneer! Want a medal? ;)

One year, flushed with enthusiasm, my father-in-law and I built a cider press to use up the huge quantity of windfalls in their orchard. The whole business turned into a bit of a production line with multiple food processors chopping apples, pulp being pressed between sacking in the home made press, the juice being collected in large buckets and several gallons of cider getting made - maybe 20 gallons?

It was very dry, and a bit tricky to drink. If you topped it off with a dash of lemonade and gritted your teeth for the first mouthful, it was drinkable. Not that it did anything for our card playing, my brother-in-law finding he could no longer see the spots on the cards

I used to hold the record for drinking the stuff at 2 1/2 pints, after which, the world kind of drifted away

Richard

• Greenie 1

One year, flushed with enthusiasm, my father-in-law and I built a cider press to use up the huge quantity of windfalls in their orchard. The whole business turned into a bit of a production line with multiple food processors chopping apples, pulp being pressed between sacking in the home made press, the juice being collected in large buckets and several gallons of cider getting made - maybe 20 gallons?

It was very dry, and a bit tricky to drink. If you topped it off with a dash of lemonade and gritted your teeth for the first mouthful, it was drinkable. Not that it did anything for our card playing, my brother-in-law finding he could no longer see the spots on the cards

I used to hold the record for drinking the stuff at 2 1/2 pints, after which, the world kind of drifted away

Richard

Wonderful, this is kinda what I am hoping for. I feel like evoking prohibition !

Yours Rob, 9 of spots! X

Edited by Wanted

Well done Rob the home brew is expanding I will be back at Brentford in a couple of months and will seek you out as I promised a couple of bottle’s of mead and I have a good blackberry and soon to bottle elderberry wine :cheers: Its all easy to make and cheap as the right time of year apart from the mead unless you have a few hives that is :cheers: