Action Needed

Big COL

Featured Posts

Dumb question time !...As this issue is hotting up and I suppose I have been complacement in paying attention....

If we are forced to change to white diesel does it mean any engine changes/alterations are required for standard (non vintage) ones ? if so what would be need to be done.?

PS I am more than happy to put my name to any petition raised by this forum...I have already done so elsewhere.

happy New Year to all

JK

Dumb question time !...As this issue is hotting up and I suppose I have been complacement in paying attention....

If we are forced to change to white diesel does it mean any engine changes/alterations are required for standard (non vintage) ones ? if so what would be need to be done.?

PS I am more than happy to put my name to any petition raised by this forum...I have already done so elsewhere.

happy New Year to all

JK

I believe basic red diesel and white diesel is exactly the same stuff (red has a dye added). But there are various additives in what you buy at the pumps (intended for turbo high performance cars), which probably make doodly shit difference to boat engines.

• 1 month later...

I always thought red diesel is dyed so that it stains the tank, for the purpose of catching those who are using it illegally. I wonder how they will tell if someone has stopped using it when they change the law, if they have already stained their tank from x years use ??

I would take the 200 litres figure with a pinch of salt, it is probably an official way of reaching the answer boaters want to here. I would guess it would be something along the lines of gross marina consumption divided by registered craft. Probably suits the officials to include yachts etc in the figures to get a lower average.

Tony Blair probably used more tax free fuel and caused more pollution on Friday,in that helicoter, than most narrowboaters do all year.