New bow doors

Tony Reeves

Featured Posts

Dear all,

I know this question will be the usual ' how long is a piece of string' type, but I''m looking for an approximate cost to have a new set of bow doors fitted,

The current set are old and draughty, and don't exactly look nice!

I'm thinking about a pair of single glazed wooden doors, that would fit a shell built by Midland Boats in 2003.

Grateful for any input.

Hi tony

I'm having some new ones fitted in october.currently got steel doors but having mahogany, half glazed doors fitted with a new frame. Cost is £1800 + vat!! I wasn't impressed to begin with but desperate for the work so have stumped up.

Apparently as well the price difference between mahogany and oak is very similar.....Also, unless you have a catch cover, opt for mahogany rather than oak as unless you're on the ball when it comes to maintenance of the wood (varnishing etc) they will start going black very quickly ! Mahogany meanwhile is a bit more tougher against the elements

Edited by lewisericeric

I know it sounds a lot but they have to angle grind out the existing frame a bit as our doors are a bit weird, which makes the job a bit more complex, also that is for all new wood surround inside and then they need to repaint the bulkhead outside as where the old steel hinges are will be coming off...so will leave marks and gaps that need filling and a whole new paint job.