Replacing the rope in our Squirrel

Grace and Favour

Featured Posts

What-ho chaps!

Have recently replaced the fireproof rope in the door of our Squirrel 1410

Researched and believe that 10mm rope was the correct size.

I meticulously cleaned out the channel, and glued new rope in, tamping it down as much as possible.

Lovely job!

Looks great . . . . . .

However - I simply cannot now close the door!!!

Are there any tips for 'persuading' the door to shut, (I've considered a tourniquet round the fire/spanish windlass- but don't want to crack the glass) - Or do I take the glass out, tighten the tourniquet, therefore compress the rope, and refit the glass later?

Or is there a way of softening the rope to allow closure . . (I only need to close it a further 11mm to engage the handle!!!!)

Many thanks

Dave

What-ho chaps!

. . (I only need to close it a further 11mm to engage the handle!!!!)

Many thanks

Dave

I think your rope could be too big. Some Squirrel spares suppliers quote 8mm rope for the door seal & 5mm for the glass. That extra 2mm probably explains the 11mm gap.

11mm is one heck of a gap, never mind breaking the glass, you might risk breaking the hinges. Scary.

Edited by Spuds

What-ho chaps!

I meticulously cleaned out the channel, and glued new rope in, tamping it down as much as possible.

Lovely job!

Looks great . . . . . .

Are there any tips for 'persuading' the door to shut, (I've considered a tourniquet round the fire/spanish windlass- but don't want to crack the glass) - Or do I take the glass out, tighten the tourniquet, therefore compress the rope, and refit the glass later?

Or is there a way of softening the rope to allow closure . . (I only need to close it a further 11mm to engage the handle!!!!)

Many thanks

Dave

Your rope is too big!! 7mm or 8mm (get away with 6 if the door fit's not too bad) but 10mm is what's stopping it closing. Even if you can get the handle engaged the hinge end will be more compressed than the opening end and you may not get a\ seal.

N

Thanks lads!

So much for my research then!!!!!!

Bow locks

Don't beat yourself up, I've found the odd supplier selling 10mm door seal rope without specifying which stove & model its designed for. In fact its not easy finding one that does! I only found out the proper size online by searching for "Squirrel stove 1410 door seal rope" & even then not every site was all that clear, so it seems that it was a very easy mistake to make.

What-ho chaps!

Lovely job!

Looks great . . . . . .

Many thanks

Dave

Same thing happened to me on one occasion. The chandlery gave me the wrong thickness rope.

You not the first or the last that this has happened to.

What-ho chaps!

Lovely job!

Looks great . . . . . .

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

Whatever you do, do not force it. Just use a bigger hammer.

Tim

• Greenie 1

I also got sold the wrong thickness. I pulled the centre core out and it was fine.

Midland Chandlers told me to do this when I bought the rope.

I said..'It looks a bit too thick ?'

They gave me a funny look and said 'you don't leave the core in it !'...as if I was mad !

I took it out...and its been fine for several years.