Specialized Expedition Elite step-thru

Featured Posts

I've been trying to help my girlfriend find a new bike and we've kinda hit a brick wall. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. She reall had her heart set on one of these http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-2012-expedition-elite-step-through but unfortunately (although they all refuse to remove it from their websites for some reason) nobody is able to supply them anymore. I've spent all day ringing round companies who claim on their websites to stock them only to be told by each and every one that they'll call me back. Then they call back and say that they are no longer available and Specialized won't be doing a 2013 version. Very annoying.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what might be a valid alternative? She really likes the style of frame (so do I for that matter, it is mighty pretty) and the basic requirements are:

26" wheels - So many of this style of bike comes with 700c wheels, I have no idea why.

Suspension fork and, ideally, seatpost too.

3 chainrings and rapidfire shifters - for obvious reasons

Preferably not too heavy (probably aluminium frame) and from a decent manufacturer

So much of what I see around are either too sporty (think low bars and 700c wheels) or just made for pootling around on the flat (i.e heavy steel frames, either singlespeed or 3sp hub gears and no suspension), the Expedition really was perfect. Suggestions please?

I've been trying to help my girlfriend find a new bike and we've kinda hit a brick wall. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. She reall had her heart set on one of these http://www.freeborn....te-step-through but unfortunately (although they all refuse to remove it from their websites for some reason) nobody is able to supply them anymore. I've spent all day ringing round companies who claim on their websites to stock them only to be told by each and every one that they'll call me back. Then they call back and say that they are no longer available and Specialized won't be doing a 2013 version. Very annoying.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what might be a valid alternative? She really likes the style of frame (so do I for that matter, it is mighty pretty) and the basic requirements are:

26" wheels - So many of this style of bike comes with 700c wheels, I have no idea why.

Preferably not too heavy (probably aluminium frame) and from a decent manufacturer

So much of what I see around are either too sporty (think low bars and 700c wheels) or just made for pootling around on the flat (i.e heavy steel frames, either singlespeed or 3sp hub gears and no suspension), the Expedition really was perfect. Suggestions please?

Have you thought of looking out for a second-hand one on fleabay?

Have you thought of looking out for a second-hand one on fleabay?

Does it HAVE to be a new one?

eBay Item number: 261099144222 is in Oldham at £140 or Best Offer.

We have considered it, and may go down that road if it really doesn't work out. The problem with that bike in particular is that it's too small (she's 5'9"), but also ideally she wants to take advantage of the Cycle Scheme (www.cyclescheme.co.uk) her employer offers (it really is a great deal, you pay no income tax on the cost of the bike). I fear it might come down to ebay, though.

Argos do a step over fold up commuter bike called the ''Challenge unisex'' with gears and stuff on it at £99.99. Cat No 332/3519.

Of course you could always saw off the higher crossbar tube on the usual type of bike and substitute it with a welded on bent bit of step over tube and paint it up to match. :closedeyes:

You want a Pashley. Hand made in Stratford on Avon. Lovely looking classic bike.

http://www.pashley.co.uk/

700C wheels because they roll better. There's also a better choice of tyres ranging from slicks through to touring and full winter tyres (with studs for ice) if you fancy.

Suspension just wastes power and makes the bike bouncy and makes the handling sloppy - unless you pay a lot for decent bits.

For a town bike I'd go for hub gears every time. In the winter the derallieurs gum up with dirt and need regular cleaning. There is also the issue of chain and sprocket wear caused by salt. Hub gears have a perfect chain line so reduce wear and you can get a cover over the chain. I use a single speed (think hub gears without gears or freewheel) in the winter as my commute and training bike. It needs virtually no maintenance - the derailleur bike was regularly being fixed.

Current state of the art for hub gears is 14 gears - 3 is low end, 5 is very common.

Don't think of steel frames as heavy - many aren't and are as light or lighter than aluminium. Aluminium can't be allowed to flex otherwise it cracks. To get round this they use large diameter tubes which gives a harsh ride then add suspension or carbon forks to make the ride tolerable. Steel frames flex and so give a softer ride without needing suspension. They're also repairable unlike aluminium.

Think about hub brakes since they reduce the wear on the rims and need less maintenance. Also look at hubs with a built in dynamo - virtually no drag (so small you won't notice it) - I've got one on my winter bike.

Before you buy a frame of this type try to take one for a ride first. Often this type of frame (i.e. lacking the bracing of a cross bar) can be very whippy - bit like riding a bars stool after a few pints! It can get worse with loads such as shopping etc.

Edited by Chalky
  • Greenie 1

You want a Pashley. Hand made in Stratford on Avon. Lovely looking classic bike.

http://www.pashley.co.uk/

700C wheels because they roll better. There's also a better choice of tyres ranging from slicks through to touring and full winter tyres (with studs for ice) if you fancy.

Suspension just wastes power and makes the bike bouncy and makes the handling sloppy - unless you pay a lot for decent bits.

For a town bike I'd go for hub gears every time. In the winter the derallieurs gum up with dirt and need regular cleaning. There is also the issue of chain and sprocket wear caused by salt. Hub gears have a perfect chain line so reduce wear and you can get a cover over the chain. I use a single speed (think hub gears without gears or freewheel) in the winter as my commute and training bike. It needs virtually no maintenance - the derailleur bike was regularly being fixed.

Current state of the art for hub gears is 14 gears - 3 is low end, 5 is very common.

Don't think of steel frames as heavy - many aren't and are as light or lighter than aluminium. Aluminium can't be allowed to flex otherwise it cracks. To get round this they use large diameter tubes which gives a harsh ride then add suspension or carbon forks to make the ride tolerable. Steel frames flex and so give a softer ride without needing suspension. They're also repairable unlike aluminium.

Think about hub brakes since they reduce the wear on the rims and need less maintenance. Also look at hubs with a built in dynamo - virtually no drag (so small you won't notice it) - I've got one on my winter bike.

Before you buy a frame of this type try to take one for a ride first. Often this type of frame (i.e. lacking the bracing of a cross bar) can be very whippy - bit like riding a bars stool after a few pints! It can get worse with loads such as shopping etc.

She does very much want a Pashley, and they were one of the first brands we looked at, but sadly the cost, combined with the need for a greater range of gears knocked them off the list pretty quickly.

I do see the argument for 700c wheels, but as someone who's used to mountain bikes I do find them a bit, kinda, sweepy feeling (if that makes sense) when steering, and as far as I'm aware Rosey has only ever ridden 26" bikes, I suspect would feel the same way, although she will be test riding a few now we're looking at other options.

As for suspension, again, I am aware of the arguments against suspension, but comfort is the aim here, not efficiency.

I completely agree about the hub gears, but for the ride that Rosey has to work the range on the 3 and 5 speed systems will be nowhere near enough and, unfortunately, unless someone can point me in the direction of one, I haven't seen any ladies comfort bikes with the 7 or 8 speed Nexus or Alfine systems (they seem to be reserved for the sportier hybrids), let alone the mighty 14 speed (is that the same Rohloff hub that was about in the late 90's by any chance? I always wanted to try on of those), although, imho, the manufacturers are missing a trick there, they certainly would be more suitable than derailleur gears for alot of riders that I don't think are aware of the option.

You're preaching to the choir about steel frames, I've got a beautiful mid 90's Fuji StoutLite XC frame that I wouldn't swap for any alu frame in the world, but again, the manufacturers are calling the shots here, as far as the bikes I see for sale today go nice steel tubing seems to be reserved for very high end (as in well out of budget) road and mountain bikes, sadly.

The dynamo hubs might be a possibility, I've seen some bikes by a company I've never heard of before called Corratec (anybody got any experience of them?) which while not as pretty as the Specialized, do seem to hit most of the requirements, and all feature hub dynamo's, which should be alot more common than they are.

She definitely wants the low top tube. Her current bike is an old GT Palomar which probably isn't a million miles away from the Rockhopper and Hardrock in terms of geometry, we've raised the stem a far as it goes and fitted riser bars for a more upright riding position but she still wants something with a more "sit up and beg" feel. That said, you do seem to get better componenty at a given price point with the more conventional mountain bikes.

Of course you could always saw off the higher crossbar tube on the usual type of bike and substitute it with a welded on bent bit of step over tube and paint it up to match. :closedeyes:

I would love to learn to weld, but methinks Roseys new bike might not be the right place to start!

Interesting discussion this. For the uninitiated can someone explain the difference between a 26" wheel (that's obvious) and a 700c wheel (that's not at all obvious).

I hope I'm not lining myself up for a 'DOH' moment here

Interesting discussion this. For the uninitiated can someone explain the difference between a 26" wheel (that's obvious) and a 700c wheel (that's not at all obvious).

I hope I'm not lining myself up for a 'DOH' moment here

700C is a road wheel size often used on racing and touring bikes - metric equivalent of the old 27" wheel. "C" stands for clincher i.e. tyre with inner tube instead of "sprint" which are tubeless tyres and require a different rim.

700C is a road wheel size often used on racing and touring bikes - metric equivalent of the old 27" wheel. "C" stands for clincher i.e. tyre with inner tube instead of "sprint" which are tubeless tyres and require a different rim.

Thanks Chalky

Google Dawes ladies cycle - they do some step through designs ranging in price from £225 to £900

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/category/921/Dawes_Womens_Bikes?gclid=CJGet965wbICFSPHtAodw38A_w

I've no connection with Winstanley or Dawes it was just the first one the Google list

Mick

How much! £900!!!!!!. Even Victoria Peddlemore wouldn't pay that.

How much! £900!!!!!!. Even Victoria Peddlemore wouldn't pay that.

The exact track bike she used is available from British Cycling:

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/pages/cycling/

The frames are made to order - I have a figure of £25K in mind.

The Pinarello Dogma ridden by Cav & Wiggo is about £9 - 10K.

£700 - £1400 is about what a good quality bike costs

The exact track bike she used is available from British Cycling:

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/pages/cycling/

The frames are made to order - I have a figure of £25K in mind.

The Pinarello Dogma ridden by Cav & Wiggo is about £9 - 10K.

£700 - £1400 is about what a good quality bike costs

Bly me you can buy a motorbike for that. I once paid £9.9.6d for a brand new Dawes Debonair complete with Simplex gears, saddlebag and bell.

Bly me you can buy a motorbike for that. I once paid £9.9.6d for a brand new Dawes Debonair complete with Simplex gears, saddlebag and bell.

If you look at what a good quality bike cost as a percentage of weekly wage 30 - 40 years ago and work out what it is now you're in the multiple £100's.