Problems with shower

buggsy

Featured Posts

Can anyone offer any advice to this problem?

I have an Aquaking Shurflo pump fitted with a new accumalator tank. I have basic mixer taps (no thermostatic control) and the shower has started to pulse on and off unless the hot water is hot enough requiring a small amount of cold water to be added.If I only run the cold water on full the the shower runs OK. It seams to me there is not enough pressure when the cold water is pushing the hot water out of the calorifier.

In the future I would like to install a shower cubicle and fit a thermostatic bar shower valve.

Any thoughts what to look at ?

Cheers

Have you matched the pressure of the new accumulator with that of the pump?

Can't remember how to do it as the instructions are on the boat.

I'm sure some knowledgeable person will be along soon.

Hi Ray,

thanks for that i have been searching the forum and wondering if i have set the accumalator tank at the wrong pressure and wrongly by not having the taps open when setting the pressure.

cheers,

Steve

thanks for that i have been searching the forum and wondering if i have set the accumalator tank at the wrong pressure and wrongly by not having the taps open when setting the pressure.

You need to know what your maximum pump pressure is, it will be between 25 and 40psi normally.

The accumulator should be set to a third of this pressure (or if not known, somewhere around 10-15 psi).

The flow to the shower will be affected by a lot of things, length of pipe, diameter of pipe, pump pressure, battery voltage, but a good indicator if the pump cuts out, is that it is not running at full capacity and tyherefore the system should be able to cope.

I had this problem a few days ago.

I have no accumulator.

Open hot water.....and the pump would cycle....on ...off....on...off...because of the pressures in the line...etc.

I asked the forum, and got some technical responses about pipe sizes....or pump being too small etc...untill someone said a very simple thing....they said....the pressure switch on the pump is turned down too low.

I rushed off, grabbed a screwdriver....put the hot water tap on....went to the pump, and screwed the pump pressure switch screw in one direction, and hey ho...problem solved....pump now runs great with no cycling any longer.

Try it.

ETA....I have a 20psi Jabsco pump...connected to 15mm Screwfit pipe...through a Morco heater...which restricts the pipe diameter a lot....and we have FANTASTIC shower pressure....I couldnt ask for more...it's like a 5 star hotel shower.

Edited by DeanS

Can anyone offer any advice to this problem?

I have an Aquaking Shurflo pump fitted with a new accumalator tank. I have basic mixer taps (no thermostatic control) and the shower has started to pulse on and off unless the hot water is hot enough requiring a small amount of cold water to be added.If I only run the cold water on full the the shower runs OK. It seams to me there is not enough pressure when the cold water is pushing the hot water out of the calorifier.

In the future I would like to install a shower cubicle and fit a thermostatic bar shower valve.

Any thoughts what to look at ?

Cheers

Hi All,

thanks for your replies and help. At the weekend I tried setting the accumalator pressure but no better. Anyway today I have sorted the problem by (not really sure) I have lowered the accumalator pressure, increasing the pressure on the pump and I also tried adjusting the Square D pressure switch but anyway what ever I have done has sorted the problem.

thanks again

steve

Hi All,

thanks for your replies and help. At the weekend I tried setting the accumalator pressure but no better. Anyway today I have sorted the problem by (not really sure) I have lowered the accumalator pressure, increasing the pressure on the pump and I also tried adjusting the Square D pressure switch but anyway what ever I have done has sorted the problem.

thanks again

steve

It's as bad to have to much pressure as to little

I don't think anyone has asked, but what's your hot water source - calorifier, gas water heater...?

As others have said, with the pump switched off and a tap open to release the pressure in the system, your accumulator should be set to about 4psi below your pump's cut-in pressure.

One other thing, assuming your hot water source is an accumulator, does it have an expansion tank? If so, with the pump off and a hot tap open, this should be set to about 4psi above the pump's cut-out pressure.

I think the sureflow aquaking has a cut-in pressure of 20psi and cut-out pressure of 25psi, but you'll have to check that.