A few do's and don'ts.

John Orentas

Featured Posts

Do's and don'ts for non boaters on the towpath -

DO hang around in a huddled group when you are struggling with the lock gates, standing either side of the balance beam and asking detailed questions about the working of the lock, the age of your boat, and do you live on it (adding comments like 'oohh I could never do that, isn't it claustrophobic?') If you find your thirst for information is not quenched by the time the boat leaves the lock, feel free to walk to the next one to ask the questions you forgot to ask like 'does it have a cooker?' and 'isn't it difficult operating all these locks on your own?'

DON'TS: Under no circumstances offer any help whatsoever - remember opening the lock gates requires years of experience and your intervention is likely to cause more harm than good. The time taken for the baoter to moor up and return to close the gates provides an opportunity to wind on the film on your camera to take some more shots.

Look, it was an acident okay Bernie! And it was my first lock ! :D

Doh. I'm beginning to get nervous I will commit a faux-pas with all you experienced folk looking on. Be gentle with us learners - you were all there once, I'm sure. :D

I really don't think it could have been you Carrie, unless you had 2 big strapping lads as crew, one hiding thinking we didn't see him. I did actually ask if they would like me to walk back up the flight and open and close all gates for them.. Yes we all had to learn of course and I remember my learning curve very well, but we won't go into that. :D

Edited by Bernie

What do you want to know about,

The time I closed the gates against an oncoming boat because I'd read 'always close the gates on leaving a lock'

The time I couldn't get off the side in high winds, so moored up instead then watched a tiny cruiser do it easily?

I didn't know you could use reverse to wind a boat so travelled miles to find a place the boat would turn full circle.

I could go on but I'm sure you'd find most of it boring. :D

Edited by Bernie

What do you want to know about,

The time I closed the gates against an oncoming boat because I'd read 'always close the gates on leaving a lock'

The time I couldn't get off the side in high winds, so moored up instead then watched a tiny cruiser do it easily?

I didn't know you could use reverse to wind a boat so travelled miles to find a place the boat would turn full circle.

I could go on but I'm sure you'd find most of it boring. :D

And I thought it was just me!

Please go on Bernie, I've got a 100% record so far!

Jill

Got told off by a BW man one day for leaving anti vandal locks off when there was a boat following us about 50 yards away, just coming up the next lock down the flight.

When hiring out a day boat get a small 30 footter load up with drink and say 20ish people, then don't get any instruction on how to use it and proceed along the canal in a nice straight line, when you happen upon a boat coming the other way zig zag several times before you hit it. :D

Makes us all laugh that one!!!! (not)

Mark.

How do you know if they are given instruction or not?

Got told off by a BW man one day for leaving anti vandal locks off when there was a boat following us about 50 yards away, just coming up the next lock down the flight.

You should have said, yes you'll do them up, if he's prepared to undo them again for the following boat!! I'll bet he'd have uttered a moan before returning to the tea cabin of his workboat, which I assume was moored to the lock moorings a couple of locks down. (not that I'm scinical, you understand).

How do you know if they are given instruction or not?

As they bounced off our boat the helmswoman called out sorry and I quote " they never showed us how to steer" !!!

We were only out for the day and after winding we found them again, this time they had it under control as we passed. The comment was the drink had steadied thier nerves.

Mark.

You should have said, yes you'll do them up, if he's prepared to undo them again for the following boat!! I'll bet he'd have uttered a moan before returning to the tea cabin of his workboat, which I assume was moored to the lock moorings a couple of locks down. (not that I'm scinical, you understand).

His argument was, and it was fair comment....."If you arrive at a lock and have to undo the anti-vandal gear you are more likely to replace it afterwards."

Though I personally find much of the early installed anti-vandal gear is worn out as nuts and bolts are not designed for frequent dismantling/reassembly. The best system I've seen was on the BCN and used a sanitary station key to unclip in 1 second and simply latched shut afterwards in similar time. Make things simple and they last for a long time and get the support of the user, unnecessarily complicate them or make them a chore to operate and their usefulness is much reduced.

As they bounced off our boat the helmswoman called out sorry and I quote " they never showed us how to steer" !!!

We were only out for the day and after winding we found them again, this time they had it under control as we passed. The comment was the drink had steadied thier nerves.

Mark.

I've met that woman, she told me she used to be a model as well. Good job I never believed her :D

His argument was, and it was fair comment....."If you arrive at a lock and have to undo the anti-vandal gear you are more likely to replace it afterwards."

Though I personally find much of the early installed anti-vandal gear is worn out as nuts and bolts are not designed for frequent dismantling/reassembly. The best system I've seen was on the BCN and used a sanitary station key to unclip in 1 second and simply latched shut afterwards in similar time. Make things simple and they last for a long time and get the support of the user, unnecessarily complicate them or make them a chore to operate and their usefulness is much reduced.

Most of Wigan have 'quick release' handcuff key gear, where you put the handcuff key in a hole, turn it, and it releases a bar which you just push back in afterwards. Quick and easy.

If a boat is following, I think they'd be pretty niffed if you locked everything up again for them to then open. An eye should be kept on them in case they stop as once out of sight, you should then start to lock the locks again.

Most of Wigan have 'quick release' handcuff key gear, where you put the handcuff key in a hole, turn it, and it releases a bar which you just push back in afterwards. Quick and easy.

If a boat is following, I think they'd be pretty niffed if you locked everything up again for them to then open. An eye should be kept on them in case they stop as once out of sight, you should then start to lock the locks again.

The anti vandal gear I was leaving for the following boat was the sort with a large heavy bar that hinged up from below and located over the spindle before being locked by a threaded bolt turned with the handcuff key. They were on the Aston Canal heading out of Manchester, early morning in peak season.

Its not as though the following boat was likely to moor up in the flight. Though the area has improved somewhat in recent years, in 1989 when the incident happened it was a transit canal that was passed as quickly as possible. As you say, I too would be miffed if someone I was following relocked them each time and would likely go and tell them so.

When walking along the towpath, if you come across a boat filling up with water make a point of treading on the hosepipe as you pass by and encourage your children and companions to do the same, better still hesitate for a second or two whist standing on the hose you never know the increased pressure in the pipe may even be sufficient to blow it off the connector.

Much cheery banter can be had with the boat owner following such a hilarious prank.

Do you speak from experience John? What cheeery greeting did you provide for the towpath walker? :angry:

Hi Paul.

There can't be many of us who have not had encounters at water points, the fore-mentioned childish one is one of the less objectionable. I have even seen people who having given their dog a drink from the tap stands back with pride and allows their companion to carry out more of it's ablutions only a yard or two away.

Are you a middle aged or older couple who cruise with a couple of teenage off-spring and their freinds. If so and we all know that many such youngsters are much happier watching TV and enjoying a few beers, keep them inside the boat.

Cultivate for yourselves an image of partial infirmity or general uselessness, other boaters will then enjoy helping you through the locks especially when then weather is very wet. When your helpers eventually see the rascals inside the boat enjoying their leisure they will be treated to the warm glow and satisfaction of a job well done.

Edited by John Orentas

Having trouble finding a place to moor? Print out an A4 sheet to say "Mooring for trip boat only", put it in a plastic bag and tack it to the mooring. Ideal for busy waterways where moorings are few.

Brilliant! Wish I'd thought of that one.

John