BMC 1.5 - Which Oil

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Here's an update:

I took the injectors up to Dale's for testing and they were fine.

I took the cylinder head to Allard's, who skimmed the face, reground the valves and seats and decoked. They also noticed that one pair of valve stems was missing retaining clips - they fitted new ones.

I put the whole thing back together - carefully, with a full set of washers in each injector chamber, various new washers, clips, gaskets, etc. It took the whole of Friday but it looked great when I had finished (I also gave the head, the heat exchanger and rocker cover a lick of paint). I reset the valve clearances, changed the oil and bled the fuel lines.

At this point I found that the battery was virtually dead so it took me another before trying to start it (I'm reading your tb-training on alternators, Tony - thanks for this).

It was very reluctant to start - far worse than before. Interestingly, I had the same problem when I only put in the missing atomiser washers.

The smoke problem was also worse - though it improved to around as bad as it used to be after an hour of cruising.

The only thing that has been suggested to me that I have not done is to adjust the pump timing. I had a cautious look into doing that a few weeks back but I couldn't shift the pump and decided to leave it rather than risk over-rotating it.

My plan is now to get a mechanic out to it.

On 08/05/2018 at 10:25, davehindle said:

The smoke problem was also worse - though it improved to around as bad as it used to be after an hour of cruising.

The only thing that has been suggested to me that I have not done is to adjust the pump timing. I had a cautious look into doing that a few weeks back but I couldn't shift the pump and decided to leave it rather than risk over-rotating it.

My plan is now to get a mechanic out to it.

There are 3 bolts that hold the pump to the block. Can you loosen these off? The bottom one is especially difficult and on mine was already loose when I got to it.

Rotating the pump can be very rewarding, smoke wise. I found that at any specific throttle position, max revs did not necessarily give minimum smoke.

Hi Mike

Funny that - mine's just the same, the bottom bolt is only finger tight - I guess a lot of owners don't want to tighten that one once they've got it loose.

I've tried rotating the pump but it won't budge. I've booked a mobile boat engineer for Monday - hopefully he'll have the knack....

2 hours ago, davehindle said:

Hi Mike

Funny that - mine's just the same, the bottom bolt is only finger tight - I guess a lot of owners don't want to tighten that one once they've got it loose.

I've tried rotating the pump but it won't budge. I've booked a mobile boat engineer for Monday - hopefully he'll have the knack....

I confess to leaving mine in an untightened state!

I'm wondering if someone has nicely glued the gasket for you. I might suggest obtaining a spare in readiness?

Can you see any sealant on the joint(s)? It is difficult to rotate the pump on account of the rigid pipes but there should be some visible rotation without too much straining. Mine rotates a couple of degrees without difficulty.

I have engaged the services of an excellent mobile engineer - I just couldn't shift the pump! After a bit of wangling he managed to get the thing unstuck and made some progress. With a slight rotation the engine note picked up nicely but there was still a lot of smoke. The pump has now gone to Dale's for a refurb. Watch this space......

Here's another update for those of you still interested.

The injection pump came back from Dale's looking lovely and, of course, properly calibrated. The mobile mechanic installed it, bled the lines and - after a while - got it started.

No change - still as smoky as ever.

I hope that this tale of woe will help someone in future. You can try absolutely everything that anyone can think of and you can still get nowhere. We will be a smoky boat now until we can afford a refurbed unit.

• 1 year later...