Kingswood Junction to Stratford upon Avon

boingy

Featured Posts

So, having had our plans for the Leicester Line somewhat scuppered by the stoppage at Watford, we are now hastily re-planning our trip to head past Warwick and down towards Stratford. We know the route fairly well as far as the top of the Hatton Flight but the route from Kingswood Junction down to Stratford is new territory for us.

Any recommended moorings/pubs/restaurants?

Anywhere we need to avoid?

Any "must see" places?

Initially we'll be aiming for a stay in Bancroft Basin but we may drop down onto the river depending upon time and conditions (and available moorings!). And I know it's quite cheap but I'll begrudge having to buy another licence just for a few days cruising...

It's all gorgeous, enjoy it! My 'must see' would be that you must go on the river. I just don't understand people who get all the way down there and then don't go past the basin. Much fun to be had dodging round the rowing boats and (my boat anyway) goes so well with a decent bit of water under the prop!

So, having had our plans for the Leicester Line somewhat scuppered by the stoppage at Watford, we are now hastily re-planning our trip to head past Warwick and down towards Stratford. We know the route fairly well as far as the top of the Hatton Flight but the route from Kingswood Junction down to Stratford is new territory for us.

Any "must see" places?

Initially we'll be aiming for a stay in Bancroft Basin but we may drop down onto the river depending upon time and conditions (and available moorings!). And I know it's quite cheap but I'll begrudge having to buy another licence just for a few days cruising...

Just come up a few weeks ago - locks (particularly one - can't remember the number sorry) is very narrow - it hung up a 7' boat belonging to a friend but at 6'10" were were fine. The bridge holes are, in places, very narrow and some of the gates quite heavy.

Didn't find the pubs in Wilmcote very welcoming BUT a stunningly beautiful canal and I'd go back there tomorrow if I lived closer. Worth every bit of effort in climbing Hatton - in fact it is the reward for doing Hatton. Enjoy.

currently doing the north section of this canal and was quite puzzled to notice the remnants of a lock (stop lock?) outside the bluebell pub, pretty much under the bridge. does anyone know the history behind that?

Edited by Djuwenda

Any "must see" places?

We always visit the Boot at Lapworth - certainly not cheap, but always a bit of a treat. Personally I'd avoid the Navigation at Wooton Wawen as the landlord is such a miserable git. The Fleur de Lys at Lowsonford was OK last time we called. I would not moor in the basin at Stratford, unless you like nosy gongoozlers, noise from late night drunks and the bottle bank being emptied at 6am. We often moor just below the bottom lock by the Red Lion, or probably the best place is on the river as long as you don't mind paying for a license, the water level's OK and you don't mind wading though a bit of goose poo.

Edited by PaulG

It is very nice, but I would say that as I am local.

As has been said a couple of the locks on the Wilmcote flight are very narrow, so no fenders, but you would not do that anyway of course. I have had to help free 2 boats that have been wedged with side fenders on locks higher up the South Stratford, so there are other that can cause issues. There are also some areas where the edge is not good for mooring, but if you plan to stop at Lapworth, and then at the visitor moorings above Wilmncote locks then that will get you there easily.

I guess the basin in Stratford is all down to personal preference, if you want seclusion that it is not it; but I like it, it is good fun, and you will have a nice audience when you lock down onto the river. You can buy the river license form the ANT boat in the basin (assuming it is still there?), otherwise the marina in Stratford.

The Boot at Lapworth, the Crab Mill at Preston Bagot and Mortons at Dickens Heath (north Stratford) are all part of the Lovely Pubs group, and the food is generally very good, and a nice pint of UBU, but expect to pay for it.

If you have time, a trip on the river at least as far as Bidford-on-Avon is well worth it, and whilst we are on he subject of nice places to eat The Bridge, next to the bridge at Bidford is fantastic.

Any "must see" places?

Watford is now open. I got the auto email a few mins ago.

N

Watford is now open. I got the auto email a few mins ago.

N

Heheh, yup. Me too.

I started the day grumpy because the boating gods had seemingly stuck a spanner in the works and I've spent way too much work time today planning Stratford as an alternative. And then I read through the excellent replies in this thread and got all enthusiastic about Stratford. Now the original route is open to us.

Oh no! Bloke crisis! I'm rubbish at making decisions so I shall defer to my better half. That way I can shirk all responsibility. :P

Of course, in the final analysis it doesn't really matter. As long as the beer is cold and the sofa is warm then just being on the boat anywhere will do us just fine.

Thanks for all the great replies. I'll let you know what we decide (but maybe not until we get back. We have a "no internet" rule on board...)

We've done the section from Wootton Wawen to King's Norton a couple of times and the whole stretch once. It's a delightful little canal with a character of it's own. My wife loves the little locks (She won't drive so she does the locks.). We're off again in a week and a half, doing the Warwickshire ring anti-clockwise.

IanM, I see you were on "Golden Finch", that was the boat we had in 2010, this year we're taking a couple of my wife's lady friends with us so we've gone for the larger "Diamond". If anyone sees us, watch out if there's a woman at the helm :help: