Hogging the Cropredy moorings

homer2911

Featured Posts

Pity his Parkinsons disease and his prostrate cancer (hopefully recovering from) doesnt allow him to walk down from Broadmoor and only allows him to bring the boat with available helpers

If it's prostrate cancer, the prognosis is good.

I suggest it may be a good fund-raising exercise if CaRT imposed a 'Short-term mooring fees cost to all mooring 2 miles each side of the event

Maybe a fee of which the daily rate increases the earlier one arrives?

At least that way those whom want to arrive early, and guarantee moorings, will 'support CaRT' the most (purely in a fiscal sense of course :glare:)

Airlines call it yield management. 20 years ago airfares were set way in advance at "published price" but once all the seats were sold, that was it, absolutely no further availability, family compassion or business inoperative tough, just SOLD OUT

Yield management of moorings? upsides and downsides, certainly yield management of airfares has been the biggest single factor of affordable airfares, except at peak periods where fares have risen.

Kiwi Don

Edited by DandV

There will be two shiny new possibly half full marinas down there next year.

Plenty of places to moor.

Well I hope there half full or there will be no water left below the summit to boat on anyway.

Won't a marina act as an extra reservoir?

Hardly any of the boats will move so they won't use water.

N

That would be "name withheld" then, not a forum member. Pity his Parkinsons disease and his prostrate cancer (hopefully recovering from) doesnt allow him to walk down from Broadmoor and only allows him to bring the boat with available helpers

Which purple boat be yours

Hello Mr. Music Weaver, you would know me by sight as I usually say hi when walking past your boat at Cropredy - you would be a man with a considerable beard, if I have the right "Music Weaver".

The chap in question certainly did not look ill, he strode out along the towpath with his dog most days, an affable man with a Northern accent. He was thinking about moving to moorings near Claydon locks last time I spoke to him.

My purple boat be 'Trojan'.

Won't a marina act as an extra reservoir?

Get out of here with your rational, common sense statements! ;) ;)

You should know this is a topic to moan about how many other boats are on the system apart from the ones we own :P

I suggest it may be a good fund-raising exercise if CaRT imposed a 'Short-term mooring fees cost to all mooring 2 miles each side of the event

Maybe a fee of which the daily rate increases the earlier one arrives?

At least that way those whom want to arrive early, and guarantee moorings, will 'support CaRT' the most (purely in a fiscal sense of course :glare:)

Hey! Some of us pay more than enough already!!!

My own observation of the mooring situation this year is that there were fewer overstayers close to the village. The resultant 'gaps' allowed several hire boats to be able to moor overnight near the bridge during the festival - I spoke to one hire crew, who were completely unaware that there was a festival underway and asked "is it always like this here?"

Also, as has already been alluded to, there were fewer boats breasted up this year. I only counted four at the peak time. Breasting up during the festival makes a lot of sense because it means that twice as many boats can get closer to the action . . .

I find the practice of taking boats to prime mooring locations and then leaving them empty until such time as you want to use them very selfish..........

But is it any different to someone arriving on their boat early, then staying on it until the event is over?

The mooring has been occupied for the same period of time, it's just one party has the advantage of being able to stay on their boat until the event starts.

The OP's argument is not that a boat has hogged the mooring stopping a series of boats from using it.

His argument is that a boat has beaten him to it and prevented him from hogging the mooring.

But is it any different to someone arriving on their boat early, then staying on it until the event is over?

The mooring has been occupied for the same period of time, it's just one party has the advantage of being able to stay on their boat until the event starts.

The OP's argument is not that a boat has hogged the mooring stopping a series of boats from using it.

His argument is that a boat has beaten him to it and prevented him from hogging the mooring.

I was talking generally I often see boats coming out of Marinas on a Wednesday/Thursday mooring up then not returning until Saturday. With regard to Cropredy I am aware of quite a few boaters that cruise quite a distance to get to Cropredy for the Festival only to find that the closest moorings are taken by unoccupied boats. You are of course correct in saying that the same number of spaces are taken whether occupied or not.

Hello Mr. Music Weaver, you would know me by sight as I usually say hi when walking past your boat at Cropredy - you would be a man with a considerable beard, if I have the right "Music Weaver".

The chap in question certainly did not look ill, he strode out along the towpath with his dog most days, an affable man with a Northern accent. He was thinking about moving to moorings near Claydon locks last time I spoke to him.

My purple boat be 'Trojan'.

Hello again Trojan.

Name to a face although I do know your purple boat.

Yes I am them man with the considerable beard

Wrong chap in question

Agreed

From the Fairport website FAQ:

If I come by narrowboat, can I reserve a space and do I have to pay for a mooring?

Following several similar enquiries, we checked with British Waterways, the authority that runs the Oxford Canal.

It is not possible to reserve a mooring, it's strictly 'first come, first served'. Obviously, the earlier in the week you arrive the closer you will be to the village centre. But even if you don't arrive until Thursday, you should be able to find somewhere to moor although it may be up to a mile from the festival site.

British waterways tell us that boaters do not normally have to pay for temporary moorings as they travel the canals. The general rule is that unless canalside signs tell you otherwise, you may moor on the towpath side for up to 14 days free of charge.

In the Cropredy area, parts of the length between Cropredy lock and Cropredy Mill bridge are normally restricted to 48 hours free mooring. These are indicated by signs. But British Waterways tell us that they take a more relaxed attitude to this restriction during Fairport's Cropredy Convention. However, they say, you must not moor in such a way as to obstruct the service area and turning point below Cropredy bridge, nor obstruct the approach to the lock or any bridge.

It is quite permissible to moor two abreast (that is, one boat tied alongside another) providing that doing so doesn't obstruct the passage of other boats passing through, in fact, boats are usually moored two abreast for half-a-mile below Cropredy bridge during the festival weekend.

Like anything else, commonsense, good manners and consideration for others are your best guides.

About covers it. Especially the last line.