Large Northwich 'Stamford'

Mike C

Featured Posts

Reuben (my 12 yr old son) has asked me to post this on his behalf

Dear all

I am looking for any pictures of large Northwich ‘Stamford’ when she was working for GU or others – can anyone help please?

Thank You

Reuben C

Careful Mike, Reuben will be definitely taking that cabin off now, when you're not looking! :lol:

Mike

ps. Nice pictures Carl.

Edited by mykaskin

Here is the list of published photographs taken directly from my STAMFORD file, although I do not claim this list to be comprehensive:-

PAGE PUBLICATION AUTHOR

112 A CANAL PEOPLE S ROLT

14 TOO MANY BOATS R WILSON

102 CANAL & RIVER CRAFT IN PICTURES HUGH McKNIGHT

17 WATERWAYS WORLD OCT 1973

35 WW FEB 1974

24 WW DEC 1976

54to56 WW OCT 1980

42+43 WW JULY 1984

36 WW DEC 1984

45 WW SEPT 1986

71 WW SEPT 1990

76 WW MAY 1994

75 WW JAN 1999

62+63 WW MARCH 2000

edit - I did leave gaps between "page", "publication" and "author" but CWDF software does not save them !

Edited by pete harrison

Didn't Tam and Di work Stamford?

Yes, Stamford was one of ours. Tom and Ellen Humphries worked her with Bude on the barrels for BW, and we got both of them when BW put them up for tender. Here she is working with middle Northwich Leonids - our favouritest butty, and Andy Farqueson is gettimg 'em on. What was that thread about the way to work locks? :lol:

Thanks for the photos Carl - I'd love to see any others you come across. The doors seem to be work in progeress!

Edited by Tam & Di

Reuben/Mike

I promised to give you those pictures of Stamford and Bude that mum took when Tam and Di had them. I did try and load them all up to photobucket and post here but 135 meg of pictures caused things to melt down a bit. They were a series taken primarally to show working practices as much as the boats but there are some lovely shots. If I can't call in soon to drop them off, I'll get them posted to you (if I forget - shout at me to remind me!)

Cheers

Mark

3 have worked (there are about 20 in all)

LJ13-1.jpg

LJ14.jpg

LJ15.jpg

Lets try 2 more

LJ2.jpg

LJ1.jpg

And another: (I love this one)

LJ7.jpg

Edited by Speedwheel

Reuben/Mike

I promised to give you those pictures of Stamford and Bude that mum took when Tam and Di had them. I did try and load them all up to photobucket and post here but 135 meg of pictures caused things to melt down a bit. They were a series taken primarally to show working practices as much as the boats but there are some lovely shots. If I can't call in soon to drop them off, I'll get them posted to you (if I forget - shout at me to remind me!)

Cheers

Mark

LJ2.jpg

Mabel & Forget-me-Not there. Roughly what year? Where?

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Not sure Tim. I would say late 70's. Hopefully Tam and Di will spot this thread and be able to say exactly what year. I'll ask mum but she's hopeless with dates.

ETA - as to where - equally, I don't know. Derek? You're good with locations. They will all be Lower GU. All taken in 1 day and there and some coming through Cassio park. That building on the offside looks vaguely familiar but I can't place it.

And more

LJ6.jpg

LJ5.jpg

LJ3.jpg

Edited by Speedwheel

Not sure Tim. I would say late 70's. Hopefully Tam and Di will spot this thread and be able to say exactly what year. I'll ask mum but she's hopeless with dates.

ETA - as to where - equally, I don't know. Derek? You're good with locations. They will all be Lower GU. All taken in 1 day and there and some coming through Cassio park. That building on the offside looks vaguely familiar but I can't place it.

These photographs are all taken between Batchworth Lock and the 'Mills' at Croxley. BUDE is painted red, white and blue, the colours it carried for filming in 1977.

I reckon the pair tied stem to stern at Croxley is ASTER and LUCY.

Edited by pete harrison

Here is the list of published photographs taken directly from my STAMFORD file, although I do not claim this list to be comprehensive:-

PAGE PUBLICATION AUTHOR

112 A CANAL PEOPLE S ROLT

14 TOO MANY BOATS R WILSON

102 CANAL & RIVER CRAFT IN PICTURES HUGH McKNIGHT

17 WATERWAYS WORLD OCT 1973

35 WW FEB 1974

24 WW DEC 1976

54to56 WW OCT 1980

42+43 WW JULY 1984

36 WW DEC 1984

45 WW SEPT 1986

71 WW SEPT 1990

76 WW MAY 1994

75 WW JAN 1999

62+63 WW MARCH 2000

edit - I did leave gaps between "page", "publication" and "author" but CWDF software does not save them !

The article in waterways world by someone on one of the lime juice runs has some of the pictures with the boats incorrectly identified.

Stamford and Towcester mixed up. The way to tell them apart is that Stamford still had the Petter in her then and the air cover over where the righthand slide would be is visible.

added Petter removed ( 1979 ? ) and JP2 fitted, air cover then removed

Edited by barry adams

The article in waterways world by someone on one of the lime juice runs has some of the pictures with the boats incorrectly identified.

Stamford and Towcester mixed up. The way to tell them apart is that Stamford still had the Petter in her then and the air cover over where the righthand slide would be is visible.

I know, I am sure my list is corrected to take this into account. I am away from my Waterways World collection at present so I can not confirm this. I think the person who wrote the article was Brian Godfrey, a working boat enthusiast from the Birmingham area.

Speedwheel's first three look like Hunton Bridge lower looking towards Hunton Bridge top ?

The ones passing the massive warehouses must be the Esparto sheds at the former Croxley Mills.

And as you can see that small blue work flat in the distance, the one of that lone building with a gable end mst be Croxley too.

I'd say it is close to wherre the last loads of coal to Croxley got discharged, but that the coal handling gear had gone by then.

The one with Tam on the cross planks is of course Batchworth.

Hard to describe some, but I reckon I could get most!

These photographs are all taken between Batchworth Lock and the 'Mills' at Croxley. BUDE is painted red, white and blue, the colours it carried for filming in 1977.

It was certainly no later than '78, because Forget-me-Not has the full-height 'back cabin' from the original Tooley conversion. This was removed and a more traditionally profiled back cabin fitted when we rebuilt her in the winter of '78/'79.

Tim

LJ1.jpg

I think you are correct about Ray's Aster and Lucy.

Towcester and Bude were painted in a simulacrum of the wartime red, white and blue colours for the BBC film of “Maidens Trip” (sadly no copies have come to light yet). I did post a photo of them as Venus and Ariadne on here some while back.

1977 was the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee year and I decided to change our colours (actually to red, cream and blue) for this, and that is what shows in the photo. I’m not particularly anti or pro royal, I just liked the graphic idea. I also painted the tops of the stands with union flags!

Note too the bulk cratch on Stamford - another bit of flash. I’d not repainted Stamford at that point, and as I’ve noted the doors were obviously work in progress. The problem was I did all the paintwork and signwriting myself, and the boating didn’t leave me a lot of time to keep up with it.

I think all the locations have been identified now. The only one I take issue with is Carl's at 3 Bridges - we are obviously travelling empty back to Brentford, not loaded as stated. This one at Ricky must be about the time Jon's Stores was demolished by the look of it. And yes, the one Tim was asking about is the next in sequence and we're just leaving the lock.

(edit to correct spelink and tidy up a bit)

Edited by Tam & Di