Gloucester and Sharpness Canal

sooz

Featured Posts

On 08/09/2012 at 22:04, magpie patrick said:

We had a 62 foot narrow boat at Saul Junction Marina, and we now have a 23 foot cruiser on the K and A. Thoughts...

We preferred the G and S for weekends. It isn't crowded (actually it is, it has over twice the national average of boats per mile on the CRT system) but it is so big.

There are so many tiny variations for weekends. Mooring is possible virtually anywhere (not quite, but out of 16 miles I'd say 14 of them a moorable)

In the sixteen mile length we moored the boat overnight in at least nine different places. Starting From Gloucester:

Gloucester Docks

Pilot Inn, Quedgely

Parkend Bridge (to see the Severn Bore)

Saul Junction (but not in the marina)

Fretherne Bridge

Splatt Bridge

Shepherds Patch

Gilgol brook, near Purton

Old Severn Railway Bridge

Sorry, old thread revival - just checking whether things have changed as I'm aiming to head onto the G&S in a couple of days. Can I just check that it's still OK to moor anywhere - Nicholson says "remember this is a commercial waterway, only moor at recognised sites" and some of those on the list don't seem to be recognised sites!

Also, given a suggested 26m width and an 18m boat, presumably I can turn around pretty much anywhere?

1 minute ago, aracer said:

Sorry, old thread revival - just checking whether things have changed as I'm aiming to head onto the G&S in a couple of days. Can I just check that it's still OK to moor anywhere - Nicholson says "remember this is a commercial waterway, only moor at recognised sites" and some of those on the list don't seem to be recognised sites!

Also, given a suggested 26m width and an 18m boat, presumably I can turn around pretty much anywhere?

How old is your Nicholson and yes you can turn anywhere, You can't moor just anywhere as the bank isn't always suitable but loads of places to moor.

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

How old is your Nicholson and yes you can turn anywhere, You can't moor just anywhere as the bank isn't always suitable but loads of places to moor.

2018, I'm assuming that's the most recent edition?

Thanks - possibly won't want or need to moor at other than where Nicholson mentions, however CRT is still showing Purton bridges as being inoperable, so being able to moor to the West of there might be handy (and also the reason being able to turn is important, otherwise I'd just turn at Sharpness!)

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/18243-gloucester-and-sharpness-canal-bridge-3-purton-lower-swing-bridge-and-bridge-4-purton-upper-swing-bridge

It seems an awfully long time for a power failure, but always handy to have options.

There aren't many places that you can't turn a 18 m boat, and even fewer where you can't turn within five minutes of cruising.

You can tie up pretty much anywhere on the towpath side other than near bridges and where the bank makes it difficult. There may be some local restrictions due to water voles.

It is a lovely and unique waterway. Hope you get to Sharpness, a walk around the old dock and around the riverbank is always interesting.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

There aren't many places that you can't turn a 18 m boat, and even fewer where you can't turn within five minutes of cruising.

You can tie up pretty much anywhere on the towpath side other than near bridges and where the bank makes it difficult. There may be some local restrictions due to water voles.

It is a lovely and unique waterway. Hope you get to Sharpness, a walk around the old dock and around the riverbank is always interesting.

My favourite mooring is at the Sharpness end after the old demolished railway bridge. Also look at the Purton Hulks and if you time it right the Severn Bore 

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

My favourite mooring is at the Sharpness end after the old demolished railway bridge. Also look at the Purton Hulks and if you time it right the Severn Bore 

September

Friday, 18; two star, 8.28am, 9.21am, 9.28am, 9.43am, 10.03am 9.6m

And then again; four star, 20.44pm, 21.37pm, 21.44pm, 21.59pm, 22.19pm, 10m

Saturday, 19; three star, 09.09am, 10.02am, 10.09am, 10.24am, 10.44am, 9.8m

And then again; four star, 21.26pm, 22.19pm, 22.26pm, 22.41pm, 23.01pm, 10.1m

Sunday, 20; three star, 9.49am, 10.42am, 10.49am, 11.04am, 11.24am, 9.7m

And then again; three star, 22.05pm, 22.58pm, 23.05pm, 23.20pm, 23.40pm, 9.8m

October

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/surfs-up-biggest-severn-bore-3688863

Edited by ditchcrawler

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Also my favourite mooring site. As I grew up not that far away from there some think I am mad to want to spend a weekend near Sharpness.

Thanks all. We stopped where suggested near the old railway bridge and enjoyed visiting Sharpness - went down to the docks at midnight to see ships going in and out on the high tide!

As mentioned, lots of places to moor, though I think we only stopped in one totally unofficial place. Only issue was that the bridge keeper at Fretherne had got the idea he wasn't allowed to open between 4:30 and 5:30 - having found no mention of that in any guidance I went and spoke to him, he phoned up his boss and then let us through (the two boats who had got there before us were just sitting and waiting...)

6 hours ago, aracer said:

Thanks all. We stopped where suggested near the old railway bridge and enjoyed visiting Sharpness - went down to the docks at midnight to see ships going in and out on the high tide!

As mentioned, lots of places to moor, though I think we only stopped in one totally unofficial place. Only issue was that the bridge keeper at Fretherne had got the idea he wasn't allowed to open between 4:30 and 5:30 - having found no mention of that in any guidance I went and spoke to him, he phoned up his boss and then let us through (the two boats who had got there before us were just sitting and waiting...)

You were lucky, I had to moor up and go and wake one up to open a bridge for us. Hooting didnt do it

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

You were lucky, I had to moor up and go and wake one up to open a bridge for us. Hooting didnt do it

We did that once at (I think) Sellars or was it Rea bridge, after waiting for over half an hour, and found the cabin all locked up and empty even though it was mid-afternoon. I went back to the boat and passed carefully under the bridge against the red light, but I must have been spotted and reported because when I got to Hempsted the bridge keeper refused to swing it open until he had given me a lengthy lecture about the perils of ignoring a red light.