Canals on Google maps

PaulG

Featured Posts

As announced earlier in the year,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/jun/19/google-maps-uk-rivers-canals

I noticed that you can now see the canal network on Google Maps (you need to turn on "terrain").

I don't think they've got it quite right yet. For example, the Icknield Port Loop is labelled as "Birmingham Canal Old Line", whilst both the New Main Line and the Old Main Line as marked as "Birmingham Canal".

Coming away from Gas Street basin, the Birmingham & Worcs isn't labelled at all until it has passed King's Norton.

Since the data was given them by CART, I would have expected it to be more accurate and detailed than this.

Of course, I'm not a "geospatial technologist", or any other kind of expert, but am I alone in finding this a bit disappointing so far?

Well of course the Icknield Port Loop, (and other loops) are part of the BCN Old Main Line!

Hopefully too, they would go for Worcester and Birmingham, where it applies, rather than Birmingham and Worcester as you have it ?

(I haven't looked!.....)

EDIT: for spelling.

Edited by alan_fincher

The canal system has appeared on Google Maps for some time now and you don't need to be on Terrain view to see them.

What the announcement was all about is they are mapping towpaths so that when you plan a walking journey between 2 points it will include towpaths in directions.

Plus they're "Streetviewing" them too.

Only a couple of places so far have been mapped, central Birmingham isn't one of them!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=devizes&hl=en&ll=51.3521,-2.028033&spn=94.821381,158.027344&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=11.465589,19.753418&t=v&hnear=Devizes,+Wiltshire,+United+Kingdom&z=3&layer=c&panoid=-Z5CD15nkciGqgsB5Gtrhg&cbll=51.3521,-2.028033&cbp=13,75.00809218191955,,0,0

Well of course the Icnield Port Loop, (and other loops) are part of the BCN Old Main Line!

Of course it is. But they have not labelled any of the other loops, or the main part of the Old Line.

Hopefully too, they would go for Worcester and Birmingham, where it applies, rather than Birmingham and Worcester as you have it ?

(I haven't looked!.....)

It is - one up to Google!

Am I the only one who spends too much time on Google street view, dragging the little man onto the bridges over the canals?

:blush: :blush:

I use Streetview fairly often. It's very useful if you have to walk somewhere (especially if I'm on a course in London), you can preview the journey first - look at the streetnames, then I don't need to constantly check a map. It's also much easier to find the shops from the canals if you've already done the trip on Streetview.

I use Streetview fairly often. It's very useful if you have to walk somewhere (especially if I'm on a course in London), you can preview the journey first - look at the streetnames, then I don't need to constantly check a map. It's also much easier to find the shops from the canals if you've already done the trip on Streetview.

Ah, but you are a star of Streetview.......

Streetview linky of Cath returning with yet more purchases at local Art Shop!

Have you managed to spot yourself at any other places for spending money yet, as you have browsed those images ? :lol: