Nicholson Guide No 2 - Oops!

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

That picture clearly does not relate to the area described on the cover, although I do find the tittles of the guides a bit strange too.

Number 3 "Birmingham and the Heart of England" to me would be the one that you would expect to cover the BCN, but it is actually the one you show, number 2 "Severn, Avon & Birmingham" that does that.

Edited to add: Has anyone compared the new editions with the previous, are there any significant changes?

Edited by john6767

Edited to add: Has anyone compared the new editions with the previous, are there any significant changes?

Our old copy of Book 4 - the four counties & Wales one missed a lock out on the Middlewich Branch. The new addition has amended this omission.

The copy we are using on the Nene is 1986 A14 , what A14. Next week we move to the 1997 version for the GU.

I like Pearson's. Haven't noticed much wrong so far...

On the new C&RT site, there was a picture is of Tixall Wide on the wrong canal, but just looked and it's been corrected.

Why was I expecting to see THIS

Nicholson2.jpg

Image in your post.

You surely don't buy NEW copies of Nicholsons??

I have that one, and possibly an older one?! They haven't been hand-annotated for about 10 years - do folks reckon a new one is in order, or should I just look on here an canalplan and make some notes? I will be getting a new Pearsons, so that we have something slightly up to date!

I have to use the pre-ringbound versions because the rings won't fit into the map-slot in the dashboard. I don't generally find that it is a problem; with hand annotations it is reasonably up to date (although many of the annotations have now been crossed out and replaced with newer ones). They sometimes miss out a quarter-mile or so when you turn over a page, which can be slightly confusing.

Which bridge over the Yorkshire Ouse is this?

Well, it isn't any bridge, because it doesn't exist, but on Page 100 of Nicholson 6 (2003), a swing bridge is marked about 1/3 mile east of Selby Lock (not the bypass bridge, which is twice that distance). Selby lockie told me it has never existed.