IWA Calls For Action On 'Continuous Moorers'

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

Clearly there is a section of the boating public that thinks the current regulations are unfit for purpose, and there is another section that believes they are but that they aren't enforced. CRT are in the unenviable position of bring castigated whatever they do. Perhaps they should have a proper survey carried out by an independent body to find out how many people support the current rules and how many want them changed...at least then we would know what the consensus is rather than relying on who is most vocal.

If you can find a statement, made by the admin, stating that they can't be effective, I'd be surprised. It's just not done. But, people have been crying out for them to supervise more effectively. Some boaters have too little self control, and the admin have a system to control. Inadequate control - problems.

And the old stitch in time rule wouldn't go amiss.

The system is the responsibility of the admin. If rules have to be changed, they have little chance of making a difference if the system controller is absent to oversee the performance of these rules..

Thats a good analogy if you have a car parked at the side of a road for quite a while with no tax they tow it away and you pay the tax and a fine or have it destroyed. Thats the rule and its applied. Just needs to be applied on the canal I guess.

Might need to remember that a car isn't usually your home, and the only home you have. If the councils had an answer, we'd have housing. Ok, you can go to jail, if you don't pay the council tax. While your in the nick they bring in the wrecking ball and flatten your home. Fair payment?

Edited by Higgs

My mooring is a few miles south of Milton Keynes online but offside. Opposite on the towpath side are several boats that have been there all summer. Just south of me on the offside near a layby there are a handful of boats that have been moored there all summer.

If all these boats were moved on, where would they go? There is a shortage of residential moorings around here. Even the non residential Marinas are full. We had terrible problems fining a Marina before we bought a boat. We are further North than we wanted to be but this was the nearest place we could find. As it is, my partner faces over an hours drive to work

Pressure should be brought to bear on the Local Authorities to allow residential Marinas in this area.

Willowbridge, where I am moored, have got planning permission to build a basin Marina but with a proviso that its non residential. Don't know what will happen to all us residential boats if and when this happens. We will become CMr's through no fault of our own

Edited by Jeanie920

Yes there has been a real increase in the Milton Keynes area we noticed that this summer. There would appear to be an increase of people moving onto boats with no intention of first ensuring they have a mooring residential or otherwise.

We will become CMr's through no fault of our own

When you purchased your boat did you know you would be living on it ?

When you looked for a Marina did you not know you wanted reisidential ?

When you decided to liveaboard did you not think about the need to travel to work ?

I can see that because the 'rules' dont suit your requirements then it is not your fault when you become a CM'er

Taking the thoughts of previous posts - when you park in a car park with time limits which you totally ignore are you really surprised that on your return you have been clamped or have a 'ticket'

flogging_dead_horse_what.jpg

why don't C&RT just build a marina for everyone who have great difficulty in paying for whatever reason and give them a proper mooring and be done with it, that way will solve everyone's problems, and i don't mean free moorings for all i just mean those that have been on their witch hunt list for awhile.

My mooring is a few miles south of Milton Keynes online but offside. Opposite on the towpath side are several boats that have been there all summer. Just south of me on the offside near a layby there are a handful of boats that have been moored there all summer.

If all these boats were moved on, where would they go? There is a shortage of residential moorings around here. Even the non residential Marinas are full. We had terrible problems fining a Marina before we bought a boat. We are further North than we wanted to be but this was the nearest place we could find. As it is, my partner faces over an hours drive to work

Pressure should be brought to bear on the Local Authorities to allow residential Marinas in this area.

Willowbridge, where I am moored, have got planning permission to build a basin Marina but with a proviso that its non residential. Don't know what will happen to all us residential boats if and when this happens. We will become CMr's through no fault of our own

When you buy a house your solicitor checks that the house has permission to be there so you are safe in the knowledge that you won't be evicted just for trying to live there. If you buy a holiday home you know that you can't live there 12 months of the year. Why do people think that they can buy a boat and live where they like on it?

• Greenie 1

Keeping pace with the needs of the time is one for the planners. Grant Shapps, the Housing minister (don't know if he still is, since the reshuffle) did say something about boats and moorings, for residential purposes. Don't know where that bit of hot air is at the moment. Was it a fart in a colander. Who knows?

When you decided to liveaboard did you not think about the need to travel to work ?

I can see that because the 'rules' dont suit your requirements then it is not your fault when you become a CM'er

Taking the thoughts of previous posts - when you park in a car park with time limits which you totally ignore are you really surprised that on your return you have been clamped or have a 'ticket'

Yes to all three of your questions but its nothing to do with the rules not suiting our requirements. Perhaps my post wasnt clear. We DO have a bona fide mooring at Willowbridge Marina at present We played by the rules .We didnt know nor could we forsee that the owner of our present residential mooring would apply for planning permission for a new marina for which he can only get non residential plnning permission. So sometime in the future we could be without a mooring

Edited by Jeanie920

Keeping pace with the needs of the time is one for the planners. Grant Shapps, the Housing minister (don't know if he still is, since the reshuffle) did say something about boats and moorings, for residential purposes. Don't know where that bit of hot air is at the moment. Was it a fart in a colander. Who knows?

Yes that was just over a year ago.

..........our present residential mooring

.......would apply for planning permission for a new marina for which he can only get non residential plnning permission. So sometime in the future we could be without a mooring

So - you already have a residential mooring - why, because the owner is looking at building a new Marina does this mean you will loose your existing mooring ?

Maybe I'm being a bit dense is the owner looking to shut / fill in / dig out your existing on-line mooring ?

So - you already have a residential mooring - why, because the owner is looking at building a new Marina does this mean you will loose your existing mooring ?

Maybe I'm being a bit dense is the owner looking to shut / fill in / dig out your existing on-line mooring ?

Perhaps if you actually read the post properly it might help!

BW'/cArt has an aim/policy of reducing online moorings by allowing marinas to be built, however, it will be the local authority which denies residential status.

It is likely that Willowbridsge online would be reduced when the marina opens.

Perhaps if you actually read the post properly it might help!

Which bit ?

Post 302 - "My mooring is a few miles south of Milton Keynes online but offside"

Post 308 - "We DO have a bona fide mooring at Willowbridge Marina at present"

Post 308 - ".....the owner of our present residential mooring would apply for planning permission for a new marina.."

I cannot see any explanation why the building of a new marina would jeopodise the current mooring

Which bit ?

Post 302 - "My mooring is a few miles south of Milton Keynes online but offside"

Post 308 - "We DO have a bona fide mooring at Willowbridge Marina at present"

Post 308 - ".....the owner of our present residential mooring would apply for planning permission for a new marina.."

I cannot see any explanation why the building of a new marina would jeopodise the current mooring

Perhaps if you asked for clarification before getting on your high horse it would have been better.

Perhaps if you asked for clarification before getting on your high horse it would have been better.

Post 310

"So - you already have a residential mooring - why, because the owner is looking at building a new Marina does this mean you will loose your existing mooring ?

Maybe I'm being a bit dense. is the owner looking to shut / fill in / dig out your existing on-line mooring ?"

In my mind this is the question asking for clarification.

Post 310

"So - you already have a residential mooring - why, because the owner is looking at building a new Marina does this mean you will loose your existing mooring ?

Maybe I'm being a bit dense. is the owner looking to shut / fill in / dig out your existing on-line mooring ?"

In my mind this is the question asking for clarification.

It's an online mooring... As Kathy rightly pointed out there is a policy of reducing online moorings in the vicinity of new marina developments. Jeanie is rightly concerned.

Is that clear now?

Edited by Smelly

Thanks for further detail, which throws a better light on them. I still do not believe that they are an answer to our prayers though. However, I can imagine areas where they could be of use. As long as CRT did not abuse them.

i agree and i only meant that they be used in towns where people need to moor to shop etc, where people tend to come out of the marina's on a friday night and sit there polishing their brasses etc to return to their marina on sunday. just sayin' :glare:

But we had this first didn't we Alan?

Where is the request for clarification here exactly?

Edited by PiRSqwared
  • Greenie 1

BW (& now CART's) policy is to reduce on line moorings within a 30 mile radius of each new marina at a ratio of 1:10 within 12 months of the marina opening.

To give a fairly random example, when Ventnor Farm (on the GU near Calcutt locks)was expanded with capacity for 143 boats it resulted in the loss of 15 online moorings as following

Fosse Locks - 3

Hatton Top Lock - 6

Stockton - 3

Lower Heyford - 1

Grange Lane - 2

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

He is building a basin Marina so he will be cutting into the field that he owns. He is also proposing to have some online moorings cut away into the canal but the whole thing is to be non residential as per planning requirements.Problem is that people in Town Halls think of us as gypsies I think, and dont want us living onboats in their area.

He has outline planning permission. Our mooring is exactly where he will cut into the field so we would be the first to go. Trouble is there is nowhere to go except onto the towpath. There may be spare capacity in other areas but down here there is a definate shortage.

My point was, how can C&RT enforce the rules and move people on when there are no Marinas or moorings for them to go to?