Vandals destroy boat to steal engine

Mat B

Featured Posts

The thieves broke into Orton Marina, at Orton Mere, last night and used an angle-grinder to rip a 40hp engine, worth £4,500, from the back of a Norman 20 boat belonging to well-known local artist Colin Langley, of Mayor’s Walk.

The vandals cut most of the back end of the boat off to release the engine, causing it to sink to the bottom of the river

Local press

m@

The thieves broke into Orton Marina, at Orton Mere, last night and used an angle-grinder to rip a 40hp engine, worth £4,500, from the back of a Norman 20 boat belonging to well-known local artist Colin Langley, of Mayor’s Walk.

The vandals cut most of the back end of the boat off to release the engine, causing it to sink to the bottom of the river

Local press

m@

:angry: reading this made my blood boil, such horrible nasty people around and I hope that they get their comeuppance and SOON. The only uplifting part of this story, was the help offered to the gentleman from other boaters :) I only hope that after 30 years it wont put him off boating, which he enjoyed.

Edited by tree

I do feel for the poor guy. I hope he has good insurance, but that is little compensation for the way he must feel right now. What an awful thing to happen.

How did the bastards (thieves) power their angle grinder? Did they bring their own mains hook-up lead?

I do feel for the poor guy. I hope he has good insurance, but that is little compensation for the way he must feel right now. What an awful thing to happen.

How did the bastards (thieves) power their angle grinder? Did they bring their own mains hook-up lead?

I've got an 18v battery angle grinder. It's as good as any mains one.

I've got an 18v battery angle grinder. It's as good as any mains one.

I find that very hard to believe. Yes they are very useful tools in their place (I have one, Metabo), but 'as good as any mains grinder'? No way.

Tim

I agree and the load on a battery angle grinder cutting through thick GRP ect would have the battery flat in no time, maybe they had lots of spare ones. And it would almost certainly be only a 4 or 4 1/2'' machine. I don't think they do battery ones in 9''. :unsure:

Cants!

Pardon?, what does that mean?

I agree and the load on a battery angle grinder cutting through thick GRP ect would have the battery flat in no time, maybe they had lots of spare ones. And it would almost certainly be only a 4 or 4 1/2'' machine. I don't think they do battery ones in 9''. :unsure:

I'd have used a petrol one with muffler.

When they are caught find out what they used then use it to cut their hands off.

An advocate of Sharia law, Biggles? You surprise me.

Having watched BW take about 10 minutes to carve up a scrap Dawncraft with a chainsaw I suspect that would have been a quicker method than an angle grinder.

to clear up a few points,

the motor was removed by using a winch / turfer / block and tackle slung around a tree, not an angle grinder as stated. the motor was ripped from the boat due to the thieves preffering to trash the boat for the engine.

i have seen the boat, it has been pumped out and is now on the hard at PYC. there is a big effort to get the boat repaired and re-engined and back in the water by many of the members at PYC, this boat was owned by Colin for 30 odd years and was used in the wash hence the big(ish) motor.colin has been boating on the Nene since 1948 so it has come as a kick in the guts for him and many who know him, hence the big push to get him boating again.

a week or so previous 4 outboards were stolen from alwalton, thieves broke in thru the fence using a layby on the A1 and a field to access the club. hopefully some ruff justice well be dished out to the thieving shites that are currently operating on the lower reaches of the nene.

cheers

gazza

At the risk of being flamed to death, I'd like to batter the living daylights out of the low life scumbags that did this.

What is the matter with these morons, why do they think they can help themselves to whatever they like and ruin peoples lives in the process?

Isn't it time somebody somewhere put their foot down?

That poor chap. What a shame.

Is there a non-controversial name for cutting someone's hands off for theft?

Some may answer Justice, not me of course, I'm all for peace and goodwill to all men (and women).

You may have been waiting for a comment like that though.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch