Stratford on Avon mooring

stickleback

Featured Posts

They are 48 hour I believe. I would have said you would probably get space in Sept, just try to to arrive too late in the day. If it is full you can always moor on the river, which I think is £6 if you don't want to use any river locks.

Stratford Basin is nearly always busy

The basin is a 48 hour mooring and can be quite noisy with one of the main approach roads to Stratford just over the Basin wall

There are also moorings between this road and lock 55 - again 48 hour mooring

The River Avon has moorings against the Recreation Ground (between the Rowing Club and all the way to Colin P Witter lock) for £5 a night

You may think about mooring above Birmingham Road lock (4 locks above the Basin) to save the extra hour to work down the flight which are 14 day against the towpath

They are 48 hour I believe. I would have said you would probably get space in Sept, just try to to arrive too late in the day. If it is full you can always moor on the river, which I think is £6 if you don't want to use any river locks.

I love mooring in the basin at Stratford.

It gets busy, but we've always been able to moor there, even in the summer, although we try to be not too late getting there.

It's great to sit on the front of the boat, out in the middle of the basin and watch the world going on round you, part of it, but not too involved.

I've never noticed much road noise, it is near one of the main routes, but the cars are slow there due to the multiple sets of traffic lights, and it's just not a problem. It's much nicer being in the basin, rather than mooring further out.

The basin can be challenging to get in to though, there is a boat moored directly opposite the bridge you enter under that appears to be in your way, but don't worry, the bank opens out in just the right place, and even with our 70footer we've never come near to hitting it.

Do go, it's a lovely place to be for a couple of nights.

Sue

It gets busy, but we've always been able to moor there, even in the summer, although we try to be not too late getting there.

It's great to sit on the front of the boat, out in the middle of the basin and watch the world going on round you, part of it, but not too involved.

I've never noticed much road noise, it is near one of the main routes, but the cars are slow there due to the multiple sets of traffic lights, and it's just not a problem. It's much nicer being in the basin, rather than mooring further out.

The basin can be challenging to get in to though, there is a boat moored directly opposite the bridge you enter under that appears to be in your way, but don't worry, the bank opens out in just the right place, and even with our 70footer we've never come near to hitting it.

Sue

Same us us, just look out for the Japanese tourists with cameras

Sue

Same us us, just look out for the Japanese tourists with cameras

I'm thinking of going to Stratford on Avon; it will be early-ish September, and I was wondering how busy the basin tends to be? It would be great to be able to moor there - are they 48 hours, supposing there is a space?

Thanks.

We just spent Sat/Sun/Mon of the August Bank holiday weekend there, expecting it to be choca-block. It wasn't - amazingly, over that whole period there were vacant slots in the basin. However, after the first night we moved down to the river, opposite the RSC theatre. It's much more pleasant there, with access to bow and stern, unlike the pontoons in the basin where you can have one or the other. Also, in the basin, your side window view will be of another boat, whereas on the river there is the world and his dog going past on both sides of the boat, either walking the towpath or going by in any number of boats.