Anyone used an 'Oilbuoy' in the bilges?

dave_2A_

Featured Posts

At work (on an oil rig) we have absorbant mats (about 1" thick, and 14" square) that we throw down in the event of a small spill on deck. Its surprising how much oil and water they absorb.

I'm not sure where to get them but there are plenty of industrial suppliers who show up on a google search.

Before doing this I'd spend some time with a plastic kitchen jug getting out the worst though or you could buy one of those oil change syphons and vacuum up most of it (again, plenty of them on ebay)

Or can anyone offer a SENSIBLE alternative to remove a %$"%-load of oil that's floating on several inches of water? (Moral: Never trust anyone else to do any-^$%$-thing!

Hi

You can buy oil absobant mats from many chandlers/boatyards. We used them in a hire fleet and I have used them on my boat. They soak up all the oil/diesel and leave the water behind ( very clever stuff ) ou can then just pump water out or use other means without any mess.

Tim

Hi

You can buy oil absobant mats from many chandlers/boatyards. We used them in a hire fleet and I have used them on my boat. They soak up all the oil/diesel and leave the water behind ( very clever stuff ) ou can then just pump water out or use other means without any mess.

Tim

Various items available from ASAP, among others.

If you have a lot to do, might be worth buying in bulk

My experience has been that some 'oil only' products are more 'exclusive' than others.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

A Tesco value bog roll sat on end does exactly the same job. Don't waste your money. ( or if you really don't want it give it to me )

No it doesn't. It soaks up water at the same time.

And it's not useable afterwards.

Tim

Why would you want water in your bilge ?

Hi

Methinks it is more a case of less mess and contamination. the oil absorbant pads I use are amazing they literaly remove all oil and diesel etc from the mix and leave clean water. The pads can then be bagged easily and disposed of and the water is well clean enough to be pumped overboard. I was sceptical at first when I tried em but wouldnt be without them now :cheers:

Tim

Babies nappies work well. I just bought a load from Boots as they have a 2 for 1 deal. I got about 60 for around 7 quid.

Presumably, like the bog roll, they will absorb any fluid. I can't see them being much use as nappies if they only absorb oil ;)

Tim

Babies nappies work well. I just bought a load from Boots as they have a 2 for 1 deal. I got about 60 for around 7 quid.

Also handy to distribute among your visitors too to put on, save them filling up your cassette bog. :closedeyes: