Separating egg whites

nb Innisfree

Featured Posts

:smiley_offtopic:

I think it might have been on this forum or face book, but in the event of burns apply egg whites, if you have any, to the affected area, but at the time of reading, I thought how do you get the yokes from the whites, I know cooks can do it by using the egg shells, but this bottle way is so quick it could be the difference between a lasting scar and a minimal mark.

What's wrong with breaking the egg into your hand and letting the white run through your fingers leaving the yolk in your hand?

Quick, less chance of breaking the yolk and no need for a bottle.

Quick thinking. Well done.

:cheers:

What's wrong with breaking the egg into your hand and letting the white run through your fingers leaving the yolk in your hand?

Quick, less chance of breaking the yolk and no need for a bottle.

I was always told you could get warts doing that, have never touched a raw egg since.

:smiley_offtopic:

I think it might have been on this forum or face book, but in the event of burns apply egg whites, if you have any, to the affected area, but at the time of reading, I thought how do you get the yokes from the whites, I know cooks can do it by using the egg shells, but this bottle way is so quick it could be the difference between a lasting scar and a minimal mark.

Sorry - apply nothing but cool water as soon as possible, followed by loosely applied clean gauze on burns. Anything else is contrary to current best advice.

cold/cool edit.

Edited by twbm

Sorry - apply nothing but cool water as soon as possible, followed by loosely applied clean gauze on burns. Anything else is contrary to current best advice.

cold/cool edit.

Yes this reduces damage, the only drawback is when you eventually stop cooling with water the pain feels a lot worse at that point than it would have without cooling when the brain would have acclimatised to the pain a bit and reduced it. I once scalded my forearm with car radiator coolant and immediately ran indoors and put it under the tap which was absolute bliss, trouble was every time I took it out it was agony. Took me about 3 hours to eventually grit my teeth and face the pain and acclimatise. Water did the job though with no trace of the burn after a couple of days.

... when you eventually stop cooling with water the pain feels a lot worse at that point than it would have without cooling ... I once scalded my forearm ... Took me about 3 hours to eventually grit my teeth and face the pain and acclimatise. Water did the job though with no trace of the burn after a couple of days.

What this reinforces for me is the amount of heat absorbed by the flesh, and doing damage.

My own practical experience is that it does take a long time before that excess heat is drawn out. It may only take a few seconds to overheat the flesh, but a lot longer to cool it down again.

I have no medical training to validate these comments, only experience. :-)

cold/cool edit.

And apply the water for 10 minutes. (everything on my first aid at work course was ten minutes!?)