Fradley Junction

Oliver

Featured Posts

The pub is The Swan - food every day

It had the usual boring, nationally available beers when we were there earlier this month but saved itself by having Holden's Golden Glow as well :cheers:

Had a lovely time sitting outside watching the (canal) world go by.

SAM

ETA The food looked good too.

Edited by Victor Vectis

Some have reported being less than impressed with fodd and/or drink at the Swan.

I have to say that in three recent visits it has always done us proud.

It also has the advantage you can have your washing going through their launderette facilities, whilst enjoying a nice mean in a lovely setting.

Hi,

The Swan, or Mucky Duck as it's known locally and by boaters, has a great atmosphere and serves well kept beer but we've not done too well on the food front there - okay, but no more than that.

However, the food at the Kingfisher Cafe, next door, has been excellent and great value whenever we've tried it.

Enjoy!

Some have reported being less than impressed with fodd and/or drink at the Swan.

It also has the advantage you can have your washing going through their launderette facilities, whilst enjoying a nice mean in a lovely setting.

The Wharf Inn at Fenny Compton on the Southern Oxford has a laundrette as well. A very civilised way of doing your smalls ;)

The Wharf Inn at Fenny Compton on the Southern Oxford has a laundrette as well. A very civilised way of doing your smalls ;)

Quite a walk from fradley though

But at least your smalls will be dry by the time you get back :)

( Nice to know of these places though. Thanks for that )

Yup

My fav canal side pub. Its first calling is to drinking and its second is to the much less important food. I have eaten there numerous times and it has always been fine for pub food, if I want top nosh I go to a restaurant not a pub, pubs are for drinking, chatting and the like and food is meant to be secondary.

Luv it :cheers:

Tim

My mate fell out with the Swan big time when he complained about getting 7/8ths of a pint for the price of a pint, and they told him to shove it. I don't think he complained especially graciously though...

But I've not had a problem there meself.

We were there last month- nice setting but the food wasn't good- the other half had steak pie with 3 just pieces of steak in it- portions were small and lacking flavour

My experience also. Vowed not to return. Couple of days later had a most wonderful evening at the Indian restaurant (ex-pub) opposite the site of Willington Power Station. Food and service was superb and just happened to mention that we rather liked the Indian music being played. 5 minutes later the waiter brought me a copy of the CD. Doesn't get much better than that

If we're past Fradley Junction and heading towards Barton Turns, are there any places to get a good Sunday lunch where we could take a small dog?

(So cross with myself for forgetting to bring map books back from boat - makes planning a trip a lot more difficult)

Thanks

If we're past Fradley Junction and heading towards Barton Turns, are there any places to get a good Sunday lunch where we could take a small dog?

(So cross with myself for forgetting to bring map books back from boat - makes planning a trip a lot more difficult)

Thanks

The George & Dragon in Alrewas always had a good reputation when we were based down there. Don't know about dogs though.

Thanks

I don't know why you would expect to take a dog into a pub or restaurant eating area (as opposedto the bar). Why can't you leave it on the boat?

I don't know why you would expect to take a dog into a pub or restaurant eating area (as opposedto the bar). Why can't you leave it on the boat?

I guess because it is quite common to be allowed into a eating area with a well behaved dog - dogs are social 'pack' animals and like to be with the 'pack'. It's one of the reasons that a dog left on a boat will often bark and irritate other boat owners.

I certainly see no harm in it. It's one of the things we really like about France and why Dennis is going with us to the Pays de la Loire area next month, as they are much less hung up about stuff like this and you don't get the irritated looks from other customers if you take a dog in to such a place.

Oliver - if you get to Willington the Dragon used to allow dogs and when it first re-opened last year it was gaining a good reputation for it's food quality.

Edited by The Dog House

I guess because it is quite common to be allowed into a eating area with a well behaved dog

Well I've not found that to be the case, and my dog is so well-behaved that it's quite disconcerting to others, but I still wouldn't presume to take her with me when eating out.

• Greenie 2

Well I've not found that to be the case, and my dog is so well-behaved that it's quite disconcerting to others, but I still wouldn't presume to take her with me when eating out.

Fairy nuff - that's your prerogative.

I guess because it is quite common to be allowed into a eating area with a well behaved dog - dogs are social 'pack' animals and like to be with the 'pack'. It's one of the reasons that a dog left on a boat will often bark and irritate other boat owners.I certainly see no harm in it. ....... Oliver - if you get to Willington the Dragon used to allow dogs and when it first re-opened last year it was gaining a good reputation for it's food quality.

Dog House - Thanks for the info. We're hoping for good weather which will increase our options for eating out.

I don't expect to take him into a restaurant - I was seeking suggestions for places (be it a bar or a cafe with a garden or something similar) which would allow dogs. If the dog can't go, neither can I as health problems mean he can't be left alone.

Dog House - Thanks for the info. We're hoping for good weather which will increase our options for eating out.

One of the things that I've just noticed about the George & Dragon, mentioned on a pub ratings site is that they don't serve food to the outside tables - it would be worth giving them a bell to double check I reckon.

I'm pretty sure the Dragon at Willington do though and it's a nice beer garden there too, as it's right next to the Trent and Mersey.