Shell Builders

allan tryfan

Featured Posts

Hi has anyone had any dealings with or know anything about Mike Christian, the shell builder from Sheffield? If so is he part of the Tyler Wilson boat building team, or is he now an independent shell builder? I have had a look at LMBS web site and they offer a rather nice looking shell by Mike Christian of Tyler Wilson. Also the newly formed Lancaster Boat Builders state that their Mike Christian shell is a Tyler Wilson, is this really the case? If so then please let me know and my search for a shell builder may finally have reached an end...

Regards

Hi Allan,

I don't think there's actually any such person as Mike Christian. I think the name is made up of various people's middle names. Mike Christian is the name that Tyler Wilson give to their (comparatively) budget shells. I've got one and I'm very happy with it.

I'd seen Tyler Wilson shells and liked them, but I didn't want to pay extra for what I saw as some of the unnecessary fiddly bits so they recommended the Mike Christian shell. You might be prepared to pay the extra for a higher-spec shell, so have a look at the whole range just in case. I know that Chris (LMBS) does fit out Tyler Wilson shells from time to time, and he seemed a very helpful chap. I don't know anything about Lancaster Boat Builders - just I was very happy with LMBS.

Hi Allan,

I don't think there's actually any such person as Mike Christian. I think the name is made up of various people's middle names. Mike Christian is the name that Tyler Wilson give to their (comparatively) budget shells. I've got one and I'm very happy with it.

I'd seen Tyler Wilson shells and liked them, but I didn't want to pay extra for what I saw as some of the unnecessary fiddly bits so they recommended the Mike Christian shell. You might be prepared to pay the extra for a higher-spec shell, so have a look at the whole range just in case. I know that Chris (LMBS) does fit out Tyler Wilson shells from time to time, and he seemed a very helpful chap. I don't know anything about Lancaster Boat Builders - just I was very happy with LMBS.

Hi thanks for the reply, really was helpful and it begins to make sense now, I really like the Tim Tyler shells but they are probably out of my price range especially with a josher bow. The one I have seen in primer at Lymm Marine looks really well made and looks a good looking shell. I have yet to speak to Chris, but have been told he is a helpful guy. Did you actually buy yours from LMBS? Also were you able to go down and view it in build or was it an of the shelf shell, already completed?

Yes, I got mine from LMBS. It was a battened and sprayfoamed sailaway. I knew exactly what layout I wanted but not the exact position of the windows, so we sat down in his office with a sheet of graph paper and worked out what was needed.

I think he prefers people to come down on one or two days a week (I presume that's so they don't get in the way). I'm sure I could have popped down during the build but my circumstances (I was out of the country) prevented that. I did keep in touch by phone and email, though, and he was quite flexible, for example when I wanted to spend an extra few weeks away he juggled the build schedule to suit.

I'm sure I could have done things differently if I had been there to see everything but, by and large, I was very happy with the work he did. In retrospect, I would have asked him to fit proper locks to all the doors - I was burgled not long after I got the boat, but that wasn't his fault.

I bought the plywood for lining out from him too. It was £25 a sheet at the time, pretty cheap, but the best thing was not having to manhandle it all on to the boat.