Help with paying a license.

Blue Haired Girl

Featured Posts

Hello forum :)

I'm a brand new boater, and have basically been given a narrow boat to live on (I'll be paying it back at a later date) and I have just enrolled at college for three courses (barbering, swedish massage, and accounting) and plan to run a business from the boat next summer. The only problem is that my job was no longer available in Bristol, I couldn't prove this so had to return to Staffordshire as my friend kindly offered me this boat with delayed payback.

My current problem is I'm doing work on the boat so that it stops leaking and am claiming Jsa until my evening courses starts. Until I have a job, I've got no boat license. Which is a pretty big problem.

I've been told that the housing benefit department would pay for the license but they say they will only pay towards mooring fees, which I don't have as its always on the move.

They said they will house me for up to £450 per month for a full year, but wouldn't pay a £900 license, even on a temp basis.

Is there anything I can do to get around it? I'm just fed up of people taking out my mooring pins because I don't have a license displayed.

Thanks for any help. :)

I would suggest you try and find yourself one of those marinas where you do not need a licence in order to moor (so long as you never leave the marina) then you will not need a licence but you will have mooring fees and you may get help with that.

Of course many marinas have very strict rules about what work you are allowed to do to your boat while you are in the marina so you may fall foul of that problem. I would suggest you start making some money and stop claiming benefits as soon as you can because that boat is likely to cost you a lot more than the social system will pay you.

All the very best with it.

Take the offer of being housed . If you can't find the

money for a licence and you also need a bss and insurance plus the money to make the boat safe you will be better off in a flat

Plus the boat being offered may/will need work doing - usually expensive

And that's without the usual stuff to do with living on a boat, like generating your own electricity, buying gas, filling up with water and dealing with your own excrement

Richard

Trying to put in the time studying to pass your college exams will be hard in the winter when you have to wander down a tow path to a cold boat to start the heater to make a meal. Look for a flat or even a flat share. Also you will need funds during the course so you WILL need a job that brings in real money anyway.

Trying to run a business from a boat has it's pitfalls (notably licensing and insurance and others) Trying to start a massage business from your home boat could bring all sorts of connotations, probably resulting is worse that a few mooring pins being pulled.

I did see a barbers run by two tall blond girls in business suits charging £35 a haircut but that was in the middle of the City of London. Out of town men don't pay that much!

Give the boat back to your friend (it should have been licensed when she lent it to you). Does it have insurance or boat safety ? if not you are a risk to yourself and others round you. Unfortunately this is not a cheap hobby. Good luck with your course but take advantage of he support you might get on a flat.

Wait until the people who know about these things come along (thinking principally of Smelly) and TAKE NO NOTICE OF ANYONE ELSE.

There are answers, rules and precedents and it's no good listening to people guessing about them or even worse being catty from their comfortable armchairs.

Well done for getting this far and don't let the sanctimonious comments get you down.

I think we are all entitled to an opinion , including your good self, If I was the OP I would want to listen to all comments, yes Smelly may know about the rules and obligations regarding any funds etc. But it's not just about getting funds for the license, surely you need to understand the other requirements of having a boat, how do you hold down a college course and comply with current continuous cruising rules for example? Surely from our armchairs or back cabins this is information we can share , thinks like cheap third party insurance and where to get it. The importance of the boat safety cert and its cost. Being on a boat is not cheap if you only have JSA income perhaps as some have suggested it might be easier to take advantage of some support until you get yourself up and on your feet. I assume she has enough sense to ignore any catty comments with having to be instructed to do so.

Edited by Tuscan

Wait until the people who know about these things come along (thinking principally of Smelly) and TAKE NO NOTICE OF ANYONE ELSE.

There are answers, rules and precedents and it's no good listening to people guessing about them or even worse being catty from their comfortable armchairs.

Well done for getting this far and don't let the sanctimonious comments get you down.

As Chertsey says you can trust Smelly's advice.

From what i remember of previous threads one route starts with getitng a winter mooring

And ignore the folks who are telling you not to do it. I just don't understand this attitude of trying to put potential boaters off. It might be difficult at times but when it comes down to it you do what you have to do. Best of luck

I was tempted to post, but I assume this is a wind-up?

that occurred to me as well but one may as well take people as they present on an internet forum

As you are in staffordshire I suggest moving your bote to Ashwood Marina, just a little south of you. Ashwood is one of those private marinas where you don't need a licence and they have space available now. Or they did last month when I moved my boat away from there!

As others have said, take the housing benefit to pay the mooring fees and forget about having a licence until you are on your feet again. Ashwood is a really nice, pretty mooring in a disused arm of the Staff & Worcs. Pefect spot to spend the coming winter.

Mike

(edited to correct speeeling mitakes, as usual)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

that occurred to me as well but one may as well take people as they present on an internet forum

I won't line up for the barbering and accountancy ............ but Swedish massage? .........................

I think we are all entitled to an opinion , including your good self, If I was the OP I would want to listen to all comments, yes Smelly may know about the rules and obligations regarding any funds etc. But it's not just about getting funds for the license, surely you need to understand the other requirements of having a boat, how do you hold down a college course and comply with current continuous cruising rules for example? Surely from our armchairs or back cabins this is information we can share , thinks like cheap third party insurance and where to get it. The importance of the boat safety cert and its cost. Being on a boat is not cheap if you only have JSA income perhaps as some have suggested it might be easier to take advantage of some support until you get yourself up and on your feet. I assume she has enough sense to ignore any catty comments with having to be instructed to do so.

I do find it interesting that sometimes we are exhorted to be nice to newbies, even when theybare being particularly trollish or annoying, and others are considered fair game to lay into after their first post. Is the difference based on whether they have a licence or not?

At least the OP is trying to get one.

To say that their friend should have provided a licence as well as a boat is a bit strong. As for the state of the boat, well they have got it for free for a while, sounds like an excellent 'try before you buy' scheme. What a good way to find out about the requirements of boating.

The OP didn't say anything about CCing - more knee jerk assumptions from the usual naysayers.

Here is someone with a bit of inittiative who has got off their bum, made plans and is trying to do things by the rules, we should be applauding that.

Mike the Boilerman's suggestion soundsblike an excellent plan. I hope it works for the OP.

• Greenie 1

Also, am I the only one who is starting to think we sometimes overdo the 'it's really hard living on a boat' line? What a tough lot we must be!

Compared to living in a nice semi that you own in a nice part of town, paying your bills by direct debit and doing a monthly shop in the car, then iit probably is hard living on a boat. Compared to living in a scungy bedsit on housing benefit, with a 50p electric slot meter and a shared bathroom, then living on a boat is probably paradise.

Perhaps the Pink Haired Girl might have some tips for Blue Haired Girl?

As for making an informed decision, sometimes that is a luxury. Sometimes you just have to make the best of what you've got. Furthermore, I would say you can't make an informed decision about living on a boat until you've actually tried it.

Edited by Chertsey
  • Greenie 3

.....The OP didn't say anything about CCing - more knee jerk assumptions from the usual naysayers.

No - but she did say :

"I've been told that the housing benefit department would pay for the license but they say they will only pay towards mooring fees, which I don't have as its always on the move".

I can see both sides of the "argument" - yes newbies should be encouraged but they should also be made aware of the costs and implications of owning a boat.

It is very easy these days to get into debt and then borrow to pay off the original debt. then borrow to pay off the second loan and ad-infinitum.

If you are aware of the total costs (and water, electricity and waste implications) you can make an informed decision as to the best way forward - which in my mind, in this case would be take a flat and the help that goes with it,get qualified and then consider a boat.

The other considerations as to running a 'trading' boat offering these services are the time taken to build up a customer base and getting that customer base to know where you will be (if continually cruising)on certain days. Presumably you will have to develop a 'round' so you are passing your customers on a monthly (or whatever) basis, alternatively you will be relying on someone 'flagging' you down as you pass and requesting your services.

A good idea and 'good-on-you' for trying to do something but please give it some deep thought before commiting.

The OP didn't say anything about CCing - more knee jerk assumptions from the usual naysayers.

The OP said;

but they say they will only pay towards mooring fees, which I don't have as its always on the move.

So, if she doesn't have mooring fees and is always on the move, is she not a CCer (in name, if not in fact)

She does talk about being always on the move so not needing help towards a mooring. She also talks at the same time of a need to be in the same place for a long period of time to attend college (which is to be commended), so I am assuming Chertsey is advocating that she becomes a CM'er . I don't get the argument that you do this, see if you like it, then presumably look into things like insurance, mooring and boat safety.

Let's treat the OP as an Intellegent girl , planning college etc, who has been offered an old boat sounding like it needs TLC, why would she not want to be made aware of the benefits (there are many) and pitfalls (death through badly fitted flue, gas fittings very rare boat boat safety wil identify).

I didn't see any catty comments just useful advice. Sometimes what seems a simple solution, like living on a boat, isn't . The poster needs to be aware of the problems before she can make an informed decision

Useful advice?

Take the offer of being housed . If you can't find the

money for a licence and you also need a bss and insurance plus the money to make the boat safe you will be better off in a flat

This isn't useful advice. It's just telling the OP not to proceed. How do you know how resilient they are?

Chertsey - no you're not alone is thinking posters are over-egging the 'it's a tough life' position. I think there are a lot of posters on this site who just dont want more boaters on the canals.

MikeBoilerman - great post - Ashwwod Marina is a lovely place

The other considerations as to running a 'trading' boat offering these services are the time taken to build up a customer base and getting that customer base to know where you will be (if continually cruising)on certain days. Presumably you will have to develop a 'round' so you are passing your customers on a monthly (or whatever) basis, alternatively you will be relying on someone 'flagging' you down as you pass and requesting your services.

My personal opinion is that there is often a need for a barber service along the canal. This does not need to be a "once a month" thing. A ;ot of people who spend extended amounts of time on the canal whether male or female will tend to just allow their hair to grow and give up any former perfectly coiffured hairstyle they may have sported. A lot of people do, however, get to the point when they would really like a bit trimmed off and it just tidied up a bit. If the cost of a trim is not too excessive, the equipment looks clean enough and they get the service done by a friendly female who is "one of them" then I suspect many people would allow her to do their 6 monthly trim.

I don't think the benefits of the social newtworking systems should be dismissed in making sure your potential customers know where you plan to be as far as a business plan either. There are many traders afloat who keep their itinarary updates on Facebook & Twitter and boaters will often wait to purchase from them because they know they are going to be in the area in a day or two. With email and the internet accountancy is also something that could be useful. You might need to build up a reputation for that but there is no difference between doing that on a boat and from the high street is there?