Dometic Travel Power Engineer needed

Grace and Favour

Featured Posts

G'day folks.

Well - - for the first time today I tried to turn on the Travel Power (fitted as OE 2 years ago - but never used)

To no avail.

Have checked all obvious connections, fuse. Can see nothing obviously wrong.

No lights on the power box at all

Does anyone know of a TP engineer/good boat sparky near Nottingham please?

Many thanks

Dave

G'day folks.

Well - - for the first time today I tried to turn on the Travel Power (fitted as OE 2 years ago - but never used)

To no avail.

Have checked all obvious connections, fuse. Can see nothing obviously wrong.

No lights on the power box at all

Does anyone know of a TP engineer/good boat sparky near Nottingham please?

Many thanks

Dave

Might just be worth checking that 12v is arriving at the box - normally taken from the engine "ignition" switch. So could be as simple as a wire come off/bad connection.

Edited by nicknorman

Might just be worth checking that 12v is arriving at the box - normally taken from the engine "ignition" switch. So could be as simple as a wire come off/bad connection.

Hi at only 2 years old it is more likely to be the Silver control box version which does not have a 12v connection.

The likely reason for not working is that the alternator will need re-energising i.e.flashing with a 12v supply.

Regards

Roger

Hi at only 2 years old it is more likely to be the Silver control box version which does not have a 12v connection.

The likely reason for not working is that the alternator will need re-energising i.e.flashing with a 12v supply.

Regards

Roger

Aye - - Tis a Silver box - - (with chamfered sides)

Is flashing with 12v a straightforward job ?

Aye - - Tis a Silver box - - (with chamfered sides)

Is flashing with 12v a straightforward job ?

Does it have 2 fans visible at the front?If so it is the new type and should have a 12v connection to the ignition switch.

Does it have 2 fans visible at the front?If so it is the new type and should have a 12v connection to the ignition switch.

Well said Bowten

If it is the one with the two fans at the front then the 12v is on a plug and socket, so easy to test if 12v available when ignition is on. ( Derr why couldn't they paint the latest one Lilac or something)

Roger

Aye - Tis this type :)

Will check the 12v supply this morn . . . . .

Well said Bowten

If it is the one with the two fans at the front then the 12v is on a plug and socket, so easy to test if 12v available when ignition is on. ( Derr why couldn't they paint the latest one Lilac or something)

Roger

I've no lilac paint at the mo - - - - - - -- damn

Regards

Roger

pray tell me , please, - - - is 'flashing with a 12v supply' a straightforward job, I'd hate to try it and begger up the alternator -

pray tell me , please, - - - is 'flashing with a 12v supply' a straightforward job, I'd hate to try it and begger up the alternator -

If it is the type with a 12v supply it does NOT need flashing with 12v, since the 12v supply is there to excite the alternator. Our TP is about 2 years old, silver box with 2 fans, and has a permanent 12v supply.

Hello Dave, how terribly frustrating to findout that a brand new (only 2 years old) machine that has never been used doesn't work.

Ofcours the warranty period has expired, but it hasn't given up while in use, so it shouldn't be more then a minor little twiddle with something.

Hope you'll manage to sort it yourself, or even better, that you've sorted it already during my writing this.

Peter.

:blush: . . . . . Update . . . . . :blush:

Je suis un idiot, un idiot de tramage, de l'ordre le plus élevé

Having checked the wiring, the contacts, (tightening the multi-pin plug as I progressed) and all was ok.......

I then made a useful discovery

On the underside of the Silver Power Box, is a tiny, black, rocker switch, (with the location the box has been mounted, this is not visible without using the services of an Hobbitt, or my wife's make-up mirror)

[i used my wife's make-up mirror on this occasion]

This little, black, unobtrusive rocker switch is marked, in digital code, I and O, (on and off)

Yup - - you've got there before me . . . . . haven't you? <_<

Having altered the position of the switch from 'Off' to 'On' - the Travel Power was enabled, and works perfectly.

:blush:

Thank you to Nick, Bowten, Roger and Peter for your help, and particular thanks to mrsmelly, whom so kindly offered verbal advice and help.

I do like this forum......

Thanks

Dave

I think that you are very far from being an idiot, and in the end you managed to cure the problem yourself, I'm very happy to read that your new, and expensive machine is working again.

I was only wondering, didn't you get any written instructions with your Travel Power machine in which they write about this hidden away switch and it's function ?

Peter.

I think that you are very far from being an idiot, and in the end you managed to cure the problem yourself, I'm very happy to read that your new, and expensive machine is working again.

I was only wondering, didn't you get any written instructions with your Travel Power machine in which they write about this hidden away switch and it's function ?

Peter.

I have the manuals that came with the kit, however, the 'control panel' (with an on off switch) is a remote kiddy that sits on the exterior of my cupboard

The 'Power Box' is in the bowels of the cupboard

The instructions say 'Switch the equipment on' - - (and, with the switch on the 'control panel' not switching anything on - no matter how many times I tried (and now we know why!) - I realised there was a problem somewhere :blush:)

Ah well, at least I've owned up in public - - I won't need to go to confession for a while . . . . . . . . ..

:blush: . . . . . Update . . . . . :blush:

Je suis un idiot, un idiot de tramage, de l'ordre le plus élevé

Having checked the wiring, the contacts, (tightening the multi-pin plug as I progressed) and all was ok.......

I then made a useful discovery

On the underside of the Silver Power Box, is a tiny, black, rocker switch, (with the location the box has been mounted, this is not visible without using the services of an Hobbitt, or my wife's make-up mirror)

[i used my wife's make-up mirror on this occasion]

This little, black, unobtrusive rocker switch is marked, in digital code, I and O, (on and off)

Yup - - you've got there before me . . . . . haven't you? <_<

Having altered the position of the switch from 'Off' to 'On' - the Travel Power was enabled, and works perfectly.

:blush:

Thank you to Nick, Bowten, Roger and Peter for your help, and particular thanks to mrsmelly, whom so kindly offered verbal advice and help.

I do like this forum......

Thanks

Dave

Glad its sorted old bean, and a fine bit of kit it will prove to be to boot. :cheers:

Tim

Peter.

Show me a bloke that reads a manual that comes with anything, any bloke, any where....

they are for careful placing in 'the man drawer' not for actual studying or finding out how things work.

I have the manuals that came with the kit, however, the 'control panel' (with an on off switch) is a remote kiddy that sits on the exterior of my cupboard

The 'Power Box' is in the bowels of the cupboard

The instructions say 'Switch the equipment on' - - (and, with the switch on the 'control panel' not switching anything on - no matter how many times I tried (and now we know why!) - I realised there was a problem somewhere :blush:)

Ah well, at least I've owned up in public - - I won't need to go to confession for a while . . . . . . . . ..

You don't need to go to confession for a while......I confess that I never went to confession, and I'm not going to change that habbit :)

Peter.

Show me a bloke that reads a manual that comes with anything, any bloke, any where....

they are for careful placing in 'the man drawer' not for actual studying or finding out how things work.

Hi Martin, I guess you're right there, but if things go wrong, you know in which drawer you put the instructions that came with the machine, and you can take the needed one carefully out of your drawer and open it, even if it's the very first time you do that, and then try to find if they write somewhere about a possible solution to your problem(s).

Cheers,

Peter.