Appeal - Chesterfield Canal

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Thank you so much everyone! Are we nearly there yet David?

I went to Brewood yesterday and purchased a packet of curry sauce for Tuscan. When I brought it back to the boat I noticed it has a use by September 2012 PAH!

I will have to wait until I get to somewhere which has a higher turnover of curry sauce and get another one

Delighted to say that after raiding the loose change piggy bank and the detritus from underneath the sofa, we have been able to buy a hod...with change left over for a bag of liquorice allsorts...Please make sure my...erm...how many in a hod.....my bricks are put to good use....and glad to be able to select the Giftaid tab!.....And all this from a surprise banter and a few courgettes!!! x x x x x

Woohoo!

Thanks everyone whether their donations come by the way of banter breakfast refunds, curry sauce or courgettes (I thought I asked you to keep that little episode with the courgettes quiet Nighthawk? :blush: ) You are all wonderful amazing people and I love you to bits.

I have taken my shoes and socks off to assist with counting (once I run out of fingers it is a necessity) and I think between us we have managed another £70 since Friday :cheers:

I am thinking that maybe there might be a few people who have read and donated but not wanted publicity - I hope so!

I walked along some of the moored boats here and talked to people but none have reached into their pockets - I need to talk less (or faster) and get along more boats next time to find those with change burning a hole in their pockets :)

I know lots of people are waiting with baited breadth to see if we have achieved the target (me included) but I think there are several key people within the trust who are on holiday at the moment so please do not think your request for an update is being ignored. I know they will keep us posted as soon as they can.

Meanwhile back at the ranch I just had a chat with another well respected forum bod on the phone and another 2 bricks have been purchased :cheers:

Maybe while we wait for the total to update we can just keep going and aim for £4000? - There is still a lock to build - and another 8½ miles to go :)

I decided I would go all the way back to page one and try to tot up how many bricks the very fine people on this forum had announed they bought.

It is impossible to know just how many have been bought by members of this forum because there are a number of people who added to the general discussion and assited in keeping this thread up towards the top for a long time which is extremely helpful but they themselves never posted to say they if they had bought a brick. I suspect most of them did along with a whole host of other people who I know will have gone and bought a brick but said nothing on the forum at all.

Then there are those who have become addicted to the sheer thrill they get from buying bricks and they just keep coming back for more :)

There are also people who have messaged me privately to tell me they have bought bricks.

Then there are those who posted here they had given me a some brick money while I was out and about on the Python tour

I managed to sell 20 bricks while out on Python and of those (I think) 3 are also mentioned within this thread.

My count of people who have advised here that they have bought a brick along with the PM's and texts I have had add up to an astounding 48

The combined total of those makes 65 bricks purchased - :D:clapping::clapping::cheers:

Do you think between us we could find a 5 generous souls that could make that total up to 70?

• 3 weeks later...

I think you might like to read this...

On behalf of everyone connected with the Chesterfield Canal Trust, can I thank you all for your warm generosity. The contributions made by members of this forum made a massive difference to us reaching our target (even if Cheshire Rose did bully you in to it!).

We will be writing to the main grant suppliers shortly informing them we have the necessary funds in place. If you want to keep track with what's happening, please keep an eye on our website.

As our publicity officer said so eloquently in the article, this is only the start, so if you still have any spare beer tokens left over, we'll be happy to carry on taking them for the Staveley Town Lock appeal. I should point out that donations made to this cause do go in to our accounts as reserved funds, so you can be assured that's where the money will go

Once again, thanks!!

What fantastic news this is. When I started that opening post I never could have imagined just how you wonderful people were going to react to my bullyingappeal and you have all dug deep and done The Trust proud!

You all deserve a huge pat on the back for getting behind this appeal in such a big way and I will make sure that as the development that this grant is for gets under way that I get photo's and bring you up to date on this forum so you can all see the difference that YOUR money has made.

If any of you would like one of The Trusts 2013 calendars so you can have a daily reminder throught next year of the difference YOu have made to this canal they are available here: online shop

I can also deliver to Stourbridge Festival or The Loughborough Christmas banter if you want to save the £1.95 postage.

• 2 weeks later...

What fantastic news this is. When I started that opening post I never could have imagined just how you wonderful people were going to react to my bullyingappeal and you have all dug deep and done The Trust proud!

You all deserve a huge pat on the back for getting behind this appeal in such a big way and I will make sure that as the development that this grant is for gets under way that I get photo's and bring you up to date on this forum so you can all see the difference that YOUR money has made.

If any of you would like one of The Trusts 2013 calendars so you can have a daily reminder throught next year of the difference YOu have made to this canal they are available here: online shop

I can also deliver to Stourbridge Festival or The Loughborough Christmas banter if you want to save the £1.95 postage.

Well done you, they can be very thankfull to have such a committed fund raiser. It was really pleasing to see that they smashed the target and now have the matched funding. Just shows what can be done.

It also goes to show, that no matter how 'black' the World seems to be portrayed by the popular press and media machines, people do go out of their way to help one another. It's always the bad aspects of life that are magnified on tabloid and screen, the everyday good stuff is not "Newsworthy".

• Greenie 1

It also goes to show, that no matter how 'black' the World seems to be portrayed by the popular press and media machines, people do go out of their way to help one another. It's always the bad aspects of life that are magnified on tabloid and screen, the everyday good stuff is not "Newsworthy".

Greenie........

Well done you, they can be very thankfull to have such a committed fund raiser. It was really pleasing to see that they smashed the target and now have the matched funding. Just shows what can be done.

:blush: Thank you for that :)

I have not forgotten I owe you a packet of curry sauce either!

TBH I still cannot believe just how the good people of this forum reacted to my initial appeal and then carried on and got right behind it. I had initially thought that maybe a post on here might attract the interest of a couple of people and if I was fortunate maybe half a dozen. No one will ever be certain exactly how many of those bricks can be directly attributed to people responding to the appeal on here but what the Trust do know is that there was an almighty surge in donations on the day this thread started and it just kept coming.

This forum is indeed a wonderful resource which attracts a membership of the most wonderful people. The quest for bricks still continues of course but the concern that we may miss the deadline for the funding has been overcome. Next we need to get the lock built. ........ locks are built with bricks!

Derek, I don't watch the news much if at all. I have not bought a newspaper for years. I do not read them online either. If something important happens in the world I will catch it on the radio news and I feel that I get less hype that way. I don't understand why there is so much doom mongering around. Happy people breed happy people and if people are motivated they may not be able to change the world but they can make a little bit of difference.

sqqquaaarrrkkkk!!

Matty....... for future reference it is not always advisable to post on the forum at 2.30am after a night in Calf Heath Marina!

You told me last night that you were leaving at 7am this morning and after reading this post it was no surprise to me that you waved as you went past at gone 9am! .......bless x

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let people know, for anyone who could not run to the cost of purchasing a brick at £5 but would still like to help you can now donate via text:

Send a Text to 70070

Type the letters "CHES46" followed by your chosen amount - £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10

Standard network charges apply

How easy is that!

• 8 months later...

Update:

This video was taken during The Chesterfield Canal Festival a couple of weeks ago. For those who are not interested in all the other associated fun happenings at the festival then skip to 4.09 on the video and you will see Dr Geraint Coles overseeing that first block being laid. As he says "One small concrete block - one giant leap for Chesterfield Canal Trust"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rGUkHCiA4Q

To all of you who joined in, donated money, bought bricks, dropped coins in a collection bucket, responded to this thread to keep it up there at the top of the pile for so long, willingly paid exorbitant amounts of money for curry sauce or other equally unlikely items - thank you. The first block in the lock has been laid. give yourself a huge pat on the back and bask in the knowledge that you helped to make this happen.