Toilets, the big discussion

dominicebs

Featured Posts

Pump outs stink, broadly speaking.

Cassettes are for people who don't mind revisiting what they did days previously.

There are no other options, beyond living on the bank. Its all down to personal preference!

Mike

You have the options of compost toilets and incinerator toilets as well.

I have not heard of them before - I think anyone would be strongly advised not to press the button while still seated!!!

Were you thinking of macerators?

Edited to add --- oooh! every day is a school day as they say!

My link

Edited by cheshire~rose

I disagree - they do not have to stink, ours does not. Perhaps dump through's do but not ALL pump outs

Having moored at Thrupp bang opposite the pumpout machine for 3 years I can assure you that they stink to high heaven when being pumped out. Far more and for much longer than the few seconds the cassette emptying does. :)

Tim

Having moored at Thrupp bang opposite the pumpout machine for 3 years I can assure you that they stink to high heaven when being pumped out. Far more and for much longer than the few seconds the cassette emptying does. :)

Tim

When I said they don't smell I meant while in use.

I think how much the pump out process smells depends very much on the type of equipment used. As they need emptying far less often than a cassette and as we don't actually do the pumping out we neither have to put up with the smell while it is done nor have any fear at all of getting splashed by any waste while it occurs either

Nope, there are electric ones for houses with mains electricity. And ther come in gas versions ignited by 12 volt. A 13 kg gas tube last for 103 "flushes" and the waste per person is a tea cup of ashes per month. Pricey, but they gave gone down in price lately as more and more discover their advantages.

Finally made the effort to go and get a pump out today. Lasted a week off 11 months.

The flush got less and less reliable as it got fuller and fuller, eventually the list was too much to put up with.

£15 later.... good till July now, although I dont think I'll push it that far next time :rolleyes:

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

Finally made the effort to go and get a pump out today. Lasted a week off 11 months.

The flush got less and less reliable as it got fuller and fuller, eventually the list was too much to put up with.

£15 later.... good till July now, although I dont think I'll push it that far next time :rolleyes:

You cannot possibly vacuum one years worth of shit away for £15...

Don't take this the wrong way , but no more can you be accuse of being full of sh*t !!

Tim

Didnt smell a damn thing once. perhaps they have a sewerage problem there, doesnt sound normal to me.

As liveaboards the wife and I would either have to wee on the towpath or have a pump out tank the same size as the boat for it to last 11 months. Praps someone could work it out and be realistic ( I dont do Maffs ) How big would a tank need to be ( In English ) to last us for elleven months. We use a cassette every two days its a c200 and I havnt a clue what it holds but it would mean a tank 167 times bigger than a cassette :wacko: blimey do you cross your legs :lol:

Tim

Blimey just done the sums the tank would need to be 637 gallons in size :wacko:

Edited by mrsmelly

Cassette for me thanks. I look after it as well. If you've changed nappies in your lifetime, a cassette bog is a breeze.

The only thing I will be doing is getting a spare cassette. They do fill up quite quickly if you have guests, or a beer night. :cheers:

Stop being reasonable, Mike!

Pump outs stink, broadly speaking.

Cassettes are for people who don't mind revisiting what they did days previously.

There are no other options, beyond living on the bank. Its all down to personal preference!

Mike

Don't take this the wrong way , but no more can you be accuse of being full of sh*t !!

:lol:

The first 5 mins or so of pumping the stuff flowing through the sight thingy on the nozzle was just black, jet black :lol: Nothing that was put in there was black I promise you!

Hope no-one is eating right now. :P

Edited by Pretty Funked Up