Wheeze to use a Bow Thruster

Arthur Brown

Featured Posts

Hi all

I'm a grumpy old traditionalist, as I've said before, but I'm saddened by the mindset that prompted the OP. There seems to be a paranoia abroad about bad places and problems that I find disturbing. Maybe I've simply been lucky, but in half a century around boats I've only experienced a handful of aggressive incidents by yoof.

A recent example. I took Resolute south on the Staffs & Worcs a few weeks ago, hoping to get on the river. Water levels said "No" so I overnighted at Stourport above York St Lock. I dropped down to the basin to water up and empty the loo early the following day, then winded and proceeded northward. The boater I'd been tied next to expressed surprise at the brevity of my visit, along with the fact that I'd be passing Kidderminster in the morning. " I'd only go through there in the early morning" quoth he....when I asked why, he'd seen blatant drug dealing around the town lock. Sorry...but so what? If we allow this mindset to continue, then I think we are aiding the problem instead of addressing it. Boats have always been a target for kids and it's part of the boating experience in my opinion...scrotes doubtless, but I'm damned if I'll kowtow to their tendencies!

Mudweights for narrowboats.....no thanks!!!!

Cheers

Dave

I'd give you a greenie for that if I had the power. Mods have many powers but that does not include the power to give greenies.

Nick

Hi all

I'm a grumpy old traditionalist, as I've said before, but I'm saddened by the mindset that prompted the OP. There seems to be a paranoia abroad about bad places and problems that I find disturbing. Maybe I've simply been lucky, but in half a century around boats I've only experienced a handful of aggressive incidents by yoof.

A recent example. I took Resolute south on the Staffs & Worcs a few weeks ago, hoping to get on the river. Water levels said "No" so I overnighted at Stourport above York St Lock. I dropped down to the basin to water up and empty the loo early the following day, then winded and proceeded northward. The boater I'd been tied next to expressed surprise at the brevity of my visit, along with the fact that I'd be passing Kidderminster in the morning. " I'd only go through there in the early morning" quoth he....when I asked why, he'd seen blatant drug dealing around the town lock. Sorry...but so what? If we allow this mindset to continue, then I think we are aiding the problem instead of addressing it. Boats have always been a target for kids and it's part of the boating experience in my opinion...scrotes doubtless, but I'm damned if I'll kowtow to their tendencies!

Cheers

Dave

We have moored outside Tesco in Kiddiminster overnight and didn't hear a sound all night. We walked the dog up the cut and cam across a closed cafe, all the tables and chairs were set out, they were still there in the morning. There was no rubbish or cans about and no needles were seen.

When leaving the boat secure it with mud anchors a little off the bank. On returning to the boat operate the remote control for the BT to bring the boat back within reach

Are you licences to post wheezes?

When leaving the boat secure it with mud anchors a little off the bank. On returning to the boat operate the remote control for the BT to bring the boat back within reach

I notice that you are based in East London. I am sure one of the Olympic athletes might have left a vaulting pole behind (rather than pay excess baggage). And maybe one of the local kids has found one and got onto your boat before you can deploy your remote control ...... if you have not already dropped it in the cut on your return from the pub.

Hi all

snip

Cheers

Dave

I am going to ask for a mudweight for Christmas. It will be really useful when reversing Theodora in a bit of wind.

Nick

I am going to ask for a mudweight for Christmas. It will be really useful when reversing Theodora in a bit of wind.

Nick

Forgive me Nick,

Do you usually get wind at Christmas? wacko.gif Does a mudweight stop it completely?

Bob.

Forgive me Nick,

Do you usually get wind at Christmas? wacko.gif Does a mudweight stop it completely?

Bob.

Frequently and yes (In that order. :mellow:

N

It's called a 'girly button'.

Is it? Why would it be called that, and is the engine start button called a wimps button? Not to mention the electric light switches. Are they softies buttons?

Each to his/her own I think :cheers:

Howard

Is it? Why would it be called that, and is the engine start button called a wimps button? Not to mention the electric light switches. Are they softies buttons?

Each to his/her own I think :cheers:

Howard

I fink they were just havin a laff.