Single handing the big beast

Chertsey

Featured Posts

The Daffodil, Daf 33 and Daf 44, were Daf cars with Daf twin cilinder air-cooled engines, the Daf 55 and Daf 66 models and the later Volvo versions used Renault engines.

Peter.

Volvo's have been using Renault and the odd Peugeot engines in most if not all of their models for many years along with the Renix ''Renault Bendix''electronic ignition systems up until the advent of electronic ECU usage in their models. My splendid and wonderful, i don't think, 340 has a Renault 1400 engine.

I'm now out of touch with the latest stuff but i expect its still Renault engines.

Volvo's have been using Renault and the odd Peugeot engines in most if not all of their models for many years along with the Renix ''Renault Bendix''electronic ignition systems up until the advent of electronic ECU usage in their models. My splendid and wonderful, i don't think, 340 has a Renault 1400 engine.

I'm now out of touch with the latest stuff but i expect its still Renault engines.

Didn't know, and have never seen a Peugeot engine used in a Daf or Volvo,(I've only owned bigger Volvo models myself 544-122S-123GT-245Diesel) the Renault engine they used where what Volvo called B 14, which was the 1400 cc engine of the Renault 18 with a few changes to the cylinderhead.

Peter.

I may be wrong but I thought they acquired the Dutch plant when they took over/bought out Daf. The early 340s had the same rubber band Variomatic (?) lovely transmission :sick:

Roger

Volvo took over the Nedcar plant in Holland to produce the 66 & 340's, which started its life on the Daf drawing board. That plant also produced the S & V40's with series runs interrupted by the Mitsubishi Charisma as these cars shared the same floor pan and some of the running gear.

Mrs T and myself have / had a 245 GLE ; 340 DL ; 440 GLE ; S40 2.0CD C30 SE Sport and a V70 Classic, the last of the "proper" Volvo's. Of the 6 we still have 3 of them.

With regard to indicators we had to have all the cars re wired so when you signaled left the left indicator indicated not the right one.:glare:

The Volvo 6 cylinder engines were the PRV ones - Peugeot, Renault, Volvo as well as stated the B14 which IMHO was c**p.

Biz, the latest range of Volvo engines are their own and Ford.

No idea what this has to do with boat handling, but there you go.

Edited by Ray T

I think it became a thread on Volvo handling, but that's ok, they're big beasts and I can single hand them too.

We currently have four... 2 x 240 estates, one of which is off to the knacker's yard tomorrow, an immaculate 1988 240 saloon, my pride and joy, but which never gets used as I have no need to drive much at present, and the 'new' (1990) 740 (a bit radically modern).

Have previously had two other 240 saloons, a 960, another 740 and another 240 estate (aka the Flying Brick).

Obviously when you have so many similar cars you have to give them names to distinguish them. My first 240 saloon was called Trusty Volvo. We were then given the 960 - Thrusty Volvo - and another 240 saloon - Rusty Volvo. The 1974 Bedford CF Dormobile which we also owned at the time thus gained the honorary title Crusty Volvo.

Since then we have had Snowball, Bluebird and the Flying Brick. We are however at a loss as to what to call the newest addition.

D?

I luv Sweden

They have produced the best cars in the world " Volvo " I speak as someone who has owned Rolls Royce, loads of Jags, mercs, Beemers ( yuk ) and many others. They produced the Best band ever to walk the Planet " ABBA " and the best actress " Ingrid Bergman " :D

Tim

I luv Sweden

They have produced the best cars in the world " Volvo " I speak as someone who has owned Rolls Royce, loads of Jags, mercs, Beemers ( yuk ) and many others. They produced the Best band ever to walk the Planet " ABBA " and the best actress " Ingrid Bergman " :D

Tim

How fluent is your Chinese these days? :P

Roger

When did they stop being proper? Post 1990 I hope :unsure:

If you trust WIKI-

In 1999, Volvo sold its car division Volvo Cars to Ford Motor Company for $6.45 billion. The Volvo trademark was shared between Volvo AB, where it is used on heavy vehicles, and the unit of Ford, where it was used on cars. Volvo stopped posting profits in 2005 and in 2008, Ford decided to sell its interest in Volvo Cars; in August 2010, Ford completed its sale of Volvo to the parent of Chinese motor manufacturer Geely Automobile for $1.8 billion.

When did they stop being proper? Post 1990 I hope :unsure:

I think it was around 1999 when ford bought them. Ford wanted to put the awesome 5 pot engine into their crappy little focus st if i remember correctly and that was a good way to get hold of the rights to use the engine. I think Ford then sold em on again :wacko: My Volvo is one of the last built by the proper company hence its still superb condition due to their superb build quality. The modern ones still look ok but I never buy cars that depreciate anymore so will never own a new one to find out :cheers:

Tim

I think it was around 1999 when ford bought them. Ford wanted to put the awesome 5 pot engine into their crappy little focus st if i remember correctly and that was a good way to get hold of the rights to use the engine. I think Ford then sold em on again :wacko: My Volvo is one of the last built by the proper company hence its still superb condition due to their superb build quality. The modern ones still look ok but I never buy cars that depreciate anymore so will never own a new one to find out :cheers:

Tim

A slight simplification Monsieur Smelly. Ford were acquiring various top car companies at the time and brought them together under their Premier Automotive Group (PAG) which at one time comprised; Lincoln, Mercury, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo. I was working at Jags during that period and there was quite a lot of sharing of underbodies and engines (a Lincoln underbody was used for the Jaguar S Type, a Ford Mondeo underbody and engines were used for the Jaguar X Type, just to name two). PAG offices were in London. After a while Ford decided to take Lincoln and Mercury back out of the group leaving AM, Jag, LR and Volvo. Volvo were left pretty much alone IIRC except for a few engine sharing exercises, partly due to geographic location, partly due to the type of market and product that they produced and partly (possibly) due to pre-purchase contractual commitments. Ford decided to pull out and sell when they got into financial difficulties and, over a period of a few years, disposed of them one by one (except Jaguar Land-Rover which were sold as one because they were so intertwined by then with joint development centres and engineers at Gaydon and Whitley (Coventry)). I worked on Jags (S Type, X Type, XF and XJ) but I had colleagues at the next desk working on Disco etc.

Roger

Edited by Albion

Sounds like I'm safe for a few years anyway. Dreading the day when I have to buy something with all the cocky modern electronics and stuff. Had the new one up on a ramp this morning to swap the tyres over and delighted to confirm that it's not got a cat and associated gizmos.

Sounds like I'm safe for a few years anyway. Dreading the day when I have to buy something with all the cocky modern electronics and stuff. Had the new one up on a ramp this morning to swap the tyres over and delighted to confirm that it's not got a cat and associated gizmos.

If you haven't got a cat on a Volvo then it is a really old one as Volvo were one of the first to use, and openly boast of using cats, with badging to that effect IIRC.(Before it became mandatory IIRC).

In fairness, cat technology isn't that troublesome these days (except for thieves cutting them off to get hold of the cats for scrap value). It is the reliability of things like the dual mass flywheels and catalysed diesel particulate filters on modern diesels that are more to be feared on that score.

Roger

Edited by Albion

. It is the reliability of things like the dual mass flywheels and catalysed diesel particulate filters on modern diesels that are more to be feared on that score.

Roger

:o ye Gods !!! Diesel engine in a motor car !! Not in my lifetime I hope. Ohh may be thats why I costantly get a facefull of stinking black smoke when they feebly attempt to exelerate in front of me :lol:

Tim

:o ye Gods !!! Diesel engine in a motor car !! Not in my lifetime I hope. Ohh may be thats why I costantly get a facefull of stinking black smoke when they feebly attempt to exelerate in front of me :lol:

Tim

Modern diesels.... That can't be right can it?

There speaks two luddites who have never driven a modern diesel. :lol::P

Roger

There speaks two luddites who have never driven a modern diesel. :lol::P

Roger

:P Well ya flippin well wrong. I bought a brand new diesel in 2006. It went quite well but whatever you diesel dreamers try to make yourself beleive they do not perform as well as petrol and they stink when pushed. My 2.3 turbo petrol will thrash the pants off any 2.3 turbo diesel engined high street car without trying. Of course it uses more fuel but thats what we pay for sublime smoothness and not having an agricultural engine fitted ;)

Tim

:P Well ya flippin well wrong. I bought a brand new diesel in 2006. It went quite well but whatever you diesel dreamers try to make yourself beleive they do not perform as well as petrol and they stink when pushed. My 2.3 turbo petrol will thrash the pants off any 2.3 turbo diesel engined high street car without trying. Of course it uses more fuel but thats what we pay for sublime smoothness and not having an agricultural engine fitted ;)

Tim

Depends what you mean by modern, but what's wrong with being a Luddite anyway?