Single handing the big beast

Chertsey

Featured Posts

Yeah, I know it's no big deal but I'm still feeling pretty chuffed...

We went for a little jolly down to Stourport at the weekend (where I did a fabulous three point turn in the basin) and on the way back we bought a Volvo from the man who lives at Botterham locks. Rather than try to come back by public transport to collect it, I said PB should drive it straight back to the mooring and I would bring Chertsey.

Which I did, and it was absolutely brilliant, and I can't wait to do lots more.

You bought a Volvo? :(

Too right! 1990 740GLE estate - feels a bit modern after all the 240s but I expect we'll get used to it.

Big boat, big car.

Now can we talk about my perfect turn into Autherley stop lock please?

Edited by Chertsey

Now can we talk about my perfect turn into Autherley stop lock please?

Can't compete probably/possibly but Jan was equally chuffed when she executed a perfect turn of 'The Dog House' in Selby basin a couple of weeks ago...

Can't compete probably/possibly but Jan was equally chuffed when she executed a perfect turn of 'The Dog House' in Selby basin a couple of weeks ago...

Plenty of power, that was the secret that I've finally got the confidence to put into practice. PB was a little nervous to say the least... But I say, when you're going backwards, at least you know you can stop (unless, as Alan Fincher pointed out, the prop falls off or something).

Plenty of power, that was the secret that I've finally got the confidence to put into practice. PB was a little nervous to say the least... But I say, when you're going backwards, at least you know you can stop (unless, as Alan Fincher pointed out, the prop falls off or something).

A different type of boat and throttle/engine set up I know but when I used to watch the hire boats at Mercia being moved around yes they always seemed to give them a bit of 'welly' turning them.

Yeah, I know it's no big deal but I'm still feeling pretty chuffed...

We went for a little jolly down to Stourport at the weekend (where I did a fabulous three point turn in the basin) and on the way back we bought a Volvo from the man who lives at Botterham locks. Rather than try to come back by public transport to collect it, I said PB should drive it straight back to the mooring and I would bring Chertsey.

Which I did, and it was absolutely brilliant, and I can't wait to do lots more.

With a bit of care you can spin a Woolwich round in one there, just have to be aware of the hireboats if they'r around.

We got a Volvo last month as a support car, a C70 convertible, open air boating and motoring!

We got a Volvo last month as a support car, a C70 convertible, open air boating and motoring!

I recall standing in a pub car park in Stockton discussing the relative merits of our ageing executive motors with PB (mine a Rover Sterling, his a Volvo) and I said I would never have a Volvo...

I now have a 960 tank and I am picking up a V70 for the OH tomorrow. :blush:

Never say never.

I recall standing in a pub car park in Stockton discussing the relative merits of our ageing executive motors with PB (mine a Rover Sterling, his a Volvo) and I said I would never have a Volvo...

Never say never.

Don't forget to get a flat cap, pipe and caravan to go with it....

I haven't smoked a pipe in years but I've just dragged the caravan back from Flamborough after a week.

I wasn't the only one on the beach wearing a flat cap, either.

More likly a labrador, Barbour jacket and green wellies around here. Kids called Felicity and Tarquin are optional extras, apparently available from main dealers.

More likly a labrador, Barbour jacket and green wellies around here. Kids called Felicity and Tarquin are optional extras, apparently available from main dealers.

Not with a 1994 960.

Lurchers, flat caps, beards and steelies are the order of the day and I appear to be fulfilling that particular stereotype perfectly (though I shaved the face fungus off this morning).

Never say never.

Knew you were a man of taste and discernment.

They turn on a sixpence too (not so sure about the V70, bit modern for me)

With a bit of care you can spin a Woolwich round in one there, just have to be aware of the hireboats if they'r around.

Mebbe next time. There was a hireboat tied up on the side having a birthday party. I reversed past with about a foot to spare. (Went down, turned right, backed out then forward into the lock. Not sure if that's the usual way, I made it up as I went along.)