Mooring - South Shroppie

richardf

Featured Posts

We would like to move Marcellus onto a mooring on the Shroppie - somewhere south of Audlem (at the very farthest North). Our ideal location would be a small marina, with power and a nice social bunch of moorers - but definitely not a huge impersonal 'boat park'

Has anybody got any suggestions please

Thanks

We would like to move Marcellus onto a mooring on the Shroppie - somewhere south of Audlem (at the very farthest North). Our ideal location would be a small marina, with power and a nice social bunch of moorers - but definitely not a huge impersonal 'boat park'

Thanks

What about Stretton wharf?

N

I can't visualise it, it's a couple of years since we went that way - and there is very little online that I can find. It's spot on location wise though

No, you won't find anything on line. It's a working boatyard with very few facilities which wouldn't suit everyone and no friendly bunch of moorers (only us :unsure: )!Not sure whether there would be any moorings going anyway - most of the space is used for boats being worked on - but you could give Keith a ring and ask. Not trying to be offputting, just realistic.

Maybe Norbury would fit the bill better in terms of electric, facilities etc.

Edited by Chertsey

It is not even on The Shroppie but if you turn left at the end and cruise for around 45 mins you come to Hatherton Marina which might be worth a look. We are based there and find it very suitable

I remember Hatherton - is it a nice place to moor - safe/friendly/reasonably priced? Wolverhampton just sounds a tad like bandit country to me! What's a good weekend cruise from there for instance? We did moor opposite about 3 years ago and had a fairly chaotic meal in the club on the other side of the bridge!

I remember Hatherton - is it a nice place to moor - safe/friendly/reasonably priced? Wolverhampton just sounds a tad like bandit country to me! What's a good weekend cruise from there for instance? We did moor opposite about 3 years ago and had a fairly chaotic meal in the club on the other side of the bridge!

We find Hatheton suits us just fine. We have a leisure boat and try to take it out as often at weekends as we can and usually manage to get away for at least one two week cruise a year.

There are two sections to the marina. We are on the bottom section (below the lock) and I don't have any experience of above the lock so cannot comment. We are fortunate enough to be online so in winter we will sometimes stay on our berth is the weather is a bit extreme.

All the people who are regularly around down there are very friendly and as you would expect, tend to look out for each others property, whether boat or car when it is left there. It is also very good value for money. Walking distance to Calf Heath Marina Bar which does excellent inexpensive food and Andy keeps a good pint there too!

We like it because we have so many choices of where to cruise depending on time, weather, daylight hours and how much energy we have! . We can go either way along the staffs & worcs, Great Haywood, Tixall Wide, Pekridge, Compton or even Stourton are all attainable in a weekend. We turn onto The Shroppie and you have Brewood (or the delightful open stretch of mooring just before it) or Wheaton Aston for the weekend. Given a little more time we might venture up the Wolverhampton 21 into Brum or the Black Country Museum or head off to Great Haywood when we can turn left or right onto the T&M - We have yet to get bored of this mooring and Dave has been here 8 years!

I will send you a PM

We find Hatheton suits us just fine. We have a leisure boat and try to take it out as often at weekends as we can and usually manage to get away for at least one two week cruise a year.

There are two sections to the marina. We are on the bottom section (below the lock) and I don't have any experience of above the lock so cannot comment. We are fortunate enough to be online so in winter we will sometimes stay on our berth is the weather is a bit extreme.

All the people who are regularly around down there are very friendly and as you would expect, tend to look out for each others property, whether boat or car when it is left there. It is also very good value for money. Walking distance to Calf Heath Marina Bar which does excellent inexpensive food and Andy keeps a good pint there too!

We like it because we have so many choices of where to cruise depending on time, weather, daylight hours and how much energy we have! . We can go either way along the staffs & worcs, Great Haywood, Tixall Wide, Pekridge, Compton or even Stourton are all attainable in a weekend. We turn onto The Shroppie and you have Brewood (or the delightful open stretch of mooring just before it) or Wheaton Aston for the weekend. Given a little more time we might venture up the Wolverhampton 21 into Brum or the Black Country Museum or head off to Great Haywood when we can turn left or right onto the T&M - We have yet to get bored of this mooring and Dave has been here 8 years!

I will send you a PM

Sounds great, I will give them a ring

Thanks for your advice

Richard

No, you won't find anything on line. It's a working boatyard with very few facilities which wouldn't suit everyone and no friendly bunch of moorers (only us :unsure: )!Not sure whether there would be any moorings going anyway - most of the space is used for boats being worked on - but you could give Keith a ring and ask. Not trying to be offputting, just realistic.

Maybe Norbury would fit the bill better in terms of electric, facilities etc.

I moored at Norbury Wharf until recently. It's OK and will be even better now they've renovated the moorings. Any available mooorings are likely to be on-line. Just 2 things to be aware of: Phone and internet signals are poor to non-existant (although there is wi-fi in the wharf cafe), and it's not easy to get to without a car.

Edited by Jim

Thanks

How about Waldron's Moorings at Wheaton Aston or Wolverhampton boat club which I'm told is nice by some lovely people I met who moor there.

• 6 years later...