Waterproof Gear!!

Wiff

Featured Posts

Bit of a fan of army surplus stuff myself, bought a goretex jacket about 20 years ago and it's still doing fine duty, some German army waterproof overtrousers and a broad brimmed waterproof hat complete the sartorial inelegance. In winter I use a motorbike heated jacket connected up to the starter battery circuit to keep me warm, always spare power on there once the starter battery is replenished, and 3A is more than enough to keep me toasty even in the snow. For really grim conditions I have some heated gloves too.

I'm not into being cold or wet.

I bought a set of 'Offshore' oilies for a trip to the Azores (on a yacht - before you ask!) Only needed them on one day. Hardly been out of the things this year on the Nb!! Nice golfing umbrella also very handy.

Ref hoods, yes we have a helm shelter but it is hardly ever up when moving due to bridge clearance etc.

Hmm Cruiser stern so I could be getting cold. Like the poncho idea but as I will be pottering solo I think this could be a bit dodgy in the locks but I will worry about that some other day! Will get one for a handy stand by at least. I have been told of how to fix up a Tent style shelter using poles and a Tarp which I will need to look into further. Seems cheaper than a pram style top. failing that the Umbrella sounds like a plan. Thanks all

Hmm Cruiser stern so I could be getting cold. Like the poncho idea but as I will be pottering solo I think this could be a bit dodgy in the locks but I will worry about that some other day! Will get one for a handy stand by at least. I have been told of how to fix up a tent style shelter using poles and a tarp which I will need to look into further. Seems cheaper than a pram style top. failing that the Umbrella sounds like a plan. Time to go to the army surplus store. Thanks all

The terms "Reasonably priced" and "waterproof" do not sit comfortably together. To get something that will keep you dry all day in torrential rain, you have to pay a lot of money, and for my money the best value is Berghaus. They can be bought on line, or if you have adecent Outdoorr shop near you wait until they have a sale. Berghaus tend to update their catalogue almost every year, so last years model can often be aquiried at a much reduced cost. I got my Berghaus Men's Long Cornice Jacket for about £125 a few years ago (RRP £170 at the time) As for footwear, gortex boots will keep your feet dry all day and, as already suggested, a wide brim Trilby will stop the water from running down your neck, whilst giving you the freedom to move your head easily.

The terms "Reasonably priced" and "waterproof" do not sit comfortably together. To get something that will keep you dry all day in torrential rain, you have to pay a lot of money, and for my money the best value is Berghaus. They can be bought on line, or if you have adecent Outdoorr shop near you wait until they have a sale. Berghaus tend to update their catalogue almost every year, so last years model can often be aquiried at a much reduced cost. I got my Berghaus Men's Long Cornice Jacket for about £125 a few years ago (RRP £170 at the time) As for footwear, gortex boots will keep your feet dry all day and, as already suggested, a wide brim Trilby will stop the water from running down your neck, whilst giving you the freedom to move your head easily.

These army surplus capes are total waterproof. Only problem there do not let sweat out so you came still get wet wearing them.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/british-militaria/miltary-uniforms/genuine-army-issue-un-issued-981857.html

Try motorcycle waterproof gear too, we've got Weise all in one suits, at £35 a pop, add to that a decent wide brimmed hat, not got wet a bit, although you do look a little silly. Or shorts and a sleeveless top if it's warm - I've been seen more than once running down the towpath between locks in shorts a vest and sandals, drenched through.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a fan of army surplus stuff myself, bought a goretex jacket about 20 years ago and it's still doing fine duty, some German army waterproof overtrousers and a broad brimmed waterproof hat complete the sartorial inelegance. In winter I use a motorbike heated jacket connected up to the starter battery circuit to keep me warm, always spare power on there once the starter battery is replenished, and 3A is more than enough to keep me toasty even in the snow. For really grim conditions I have some heated gloves too.

I'm not into being cold or wet.

Yeah, now that's what I'm talking about!!!

Phil

Can I add to this to include footwear?

I have been thinking about some hiking boots,good traction maybe good for boat & towpath. Thoughts please?

I bought some GriSport Contractor boots last year and there hasn't been a day's boating this year when I haven't worn them, including some days when it never stopped raining. I got them for about £40 IIRC.

To make them truly waterproof I treat the leather regularly with Weathermate Gel - you only need a little bit - but probably any good boot dubbin would work as well. I also treated the tongues with NikWax.

They clean up quickly and easily if they get muddy and have kept my feet dry even when it's been raining torrents. Has pretty good grip on metal decks and lock landings, and the steel toecaps might just save me an injury one day!

when I was at FBS all the guys there swore by the old RAF flying jackets as they took so long to get wet through that all you needed was 2, one to wear and the other drying

A lot of boat people (including ourselves) wore donkey jackets on the same principal. Assuming you have a boat with an engine hole you simply hang it up in there overnight to (sort of) dry out. You're stood in the hatches so in the winter the heat of the range travels up one leg and circulates round

Mind you we did also have rain sheds - those things made of 4 squares of ply that hook together to give three sides and a roof over the steerer, the front one with a slot in to see where you're going. Common enough on working boats but seldom seen in photos as photographers aren't often out in the rain!

Serial Paramoid jacket and trouser abuser here too.

I am also very fond of my Drizabone riding coat, with boots and bush hat. Make sure you have something that pulls the waist in as it catches on the tiller on a trad deck. A piece of BW sorry CRT blue baler twine suffices.