Waterproof Gear!!

Wiff

Featured Posts

Seems a daft question really but can anyone recommend some good quality reasonably priced wet weather gear. My boat does not have the luxury of a pram cover so I will be out in the elements at times getting rained upon until I can afford to have one fitted. I know from my biking days that some waterproofs can tear easily, restrict movement and not work well either so any hints would be ace.

Get a Poncho,no joke they are fit for purpose.

Beat me to it, almost. I was going to suggest a cycling cape, stand on the top step with the doors closed and spread the cape over the hatch to catch all the heat coming from the cabin.

What, you've got a cruiser stern! Bad luck, tie up for the duration.

Find a good camping/outdoors shop, try the kit on then buy it on Amazon. For me it's Sprayway jacket and trousers, Keens for most of the year and Karrimor boots for winter.

Ooooh I say!I bet you look dapper. :cheers:

My wet-weather gear, as I have stated before when this question has come up, is infallible. It consists of two stout lengths of rope.

Edited to add that I also use a weather forecast as extra protection.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

The most important piece of gear, in my opinion, is a wide brimmed trilby. It stops rain trickling down your neck.

BTW if anyone sees such a hat floating in the cut just before Lapworth (going south) it's mine. I had to move right into overhanging trees to avoid a Kamikaze hire boat and lost my hat in the manoeuvresad.gif.

Some so-called waterproofs are anything but. SWMBO put her phone in pocket of said coat and it got so wet It died and is still dead!

My only good jacket is also very thick, so it gets rather hot in what now passes for summer.

Maybe I'll try the poncho.

I use craghopper trousers, Berghaus coat and a pair of waterproof shoes sold by m and s, together with the wide brimmed hat. I also bought a brolly mate recently, and..... It works fine when not contending with horizontal rain. Went up Audlem with it and it worked a treat as my crew braved the elements in their waterproofs.

The most important piece of gear, in my opinion, is a wide brimmed trilby. It stops rain trickling down your neck.

BTW if anyone sees such a hat floating in the cut just before Lapworth (going south) it's mine. I had to move right into overhanging trees to avoid a Kamikaze hire boat and lost my hat in the manoeuvresad.gif.

That hire boat steerer should get a medal - that hat was so old and scruffy it let down boating attire standards badly.

L

Beat me to it, almost. I was going to suggest a cycling cape, stand on the top step with the doors closed and spread the cape over the hatch to catch all the heat coming from the cabin.

What, you've got a cruiser stern! Bad luck, tie up for the duration.

With shorts underneath

Cape/poncho not so practical for getting off and doing locks.

I have a magnificent sou'wester for stopping the rain running down my neck. My £10 waterproof jacket has been on and off like the proverbial this last week and has served well. Feeling the water trickling between my sandal-clad toes was intriguing. Rain isn't a problem so long as it's not cold or windy.

Some so-called waterproofs are anything but. SWMBO put her phone in pocket of said coat and it got so wet It died and is still dead!

My only good jacket is also very thick, so it gets rather hot in what now passes for summer.

Maybe I'll try the poncho.

I went in in the winter, with my phone in my pocket. When i came out i had a missed call. I bought a jacket from a relatvely unknown but talented cycle wear designer named Andy Ellis - the Brand he called FGL or Fixed Gear London. I believe he's selling up and moving stateside shortly. It may be worth a poke about the internet as I can't imagine he'll be keeping his stock.

When I was there he had, Bright Cyan Blue, (which I bought) Bright Yellow and I think Red left.. the blacks and Greys sold to the cycling people.

oh and my two pence regarding foot wear - is about your socks. I have a pair of SEAL SKIN water proof socks - not cheap but 5 years on and still water tight and its amazing how I've abused them.