My Address & Potentional Proof of ID

BargeeSpud

Featured Posts

Hiya,

Soon to be moving onto the water on a permanent mooring which doesn't have a Royal Mail post code. I can use the address at a local boatyard for a fee, but as all the mail is dumped into a box for you to sort through, I'm concerned about important documents being delivered in this way. I'm happy to use it for general mail & to register with the local docter, but I'm thinking that the important things like car documents, insurances, licences etc. should be sent to a nearby relative's address.

Bearing this in mind & the fact I'll have a new photo ID driving licence (I don't have a passport), I'm slightly concerned that I could face a situation where I might be asked for a copy of a utility bill to back up an application for, say, a new phone contract, where I will not have a utility bill in my name for that address.

Has anyone had any experience of this sort of problem or am I worrying unnecessarily?

What's the best arrangement for having a Royal Mail address do you think?

Cheers in advance. :help:

Hiya,

Soon to be moving onto the water on a permanent mooring which doesn't have a Royal Mail post code. I can use the address at a local boatyard for a fee, but as all the mail is dumped into a box for you to sort through, I'm concerned about important documents being delivered in this way. I'm happy to use it for general mail & to register with the local docter, but I'm thinking that the important things like car documents, insurances, licences etc. should be sent to a nearby relative's address.

Bearing this in mind & the fact I'll have a new photo ID driving licence (I don't have a passport), I'm slightly concerned that I could face a situation where I might be asked for a copy of a utility bill to back up an application for, say, a new phone contract, where I will not have a utility bill in my name for that address.

Has anyone had any experience of this sort of problem or am I worrying unnecessarily?

IMO The best solution is a family relations address whom you trust fully. I would advise getting a passport whilst you have a land address unless you're 100% positive you don't want to go abroad. Having said that I would still obtain one regardless, as for ID purposes they're probably the most trusted document and you never know when a trip abroad might be necessary.

We also have opened additional bank accounts (all with on line banking) should problems arise with banking on our main accounts.

Utility bills though for use as ID/proof of address will be difficult, it's almost impossible to get a mobile phone contract without one. I had a current passport & driving licence bank statements at current address and I even offered to pay the full annual fee in advance, but they still insisted on a utility bill in my name less than 2 months old. The same applied with a sim only contract.

Other than that I suppose a PO box is the next best option, buy pricey.

Initially when on the water we have the luxury of a business address, but when this is sold, mail will be sent to brother or sister addresses.

On post codes and not having one . . . In a previous life I was a woodsman, living in a caravan in the wood I was working at the time.

Obviously living in the woods meant no post code, but a visit to the local sorting office with a description of where we where always resulted in a post code being allocated.

Mind you, the odd postie (not all) would get a bit grumpy at having to drive a distance into the wood to deliver our mail!

Utility bills though for use as ID/proof of address will be difficult, it's almost impossible to get a mobile phone contract without one. I had a current passport & driving licence bank statements at current address and I even offered to pay the full annual fee in advance, but they still insisted on a utility bill in my name less than 2 months old. The same applied with a sim only contract.

Thanks. I guess if I'm going to get some sort of phone contract (I'm on PAYG), then I'd better get it done before I complete the house sale. Part of our plans include buying a buy-to-let property, so I would imagine I have scope within that to get a utility bill in my name, something like water rates maybe or Council tax, that could be included in the rent charged. Perhaps that could be a work around.

We use our sons address as our home address and use that address on our driving licences. As far as utility bills are concerned, the car hire companies often ask for them. I always explain that I live on a boat and so don't have them but I do have a receipt from BW for my licence fee. It has always been accepted.

Regards

Pete

I find that trying to get people to apply the C/o, before a postal address, is futile these days. I just refer to it as a postal address. I use this postal address for everything, without any problems. Could have mail delivered to the marina shop, but they want £6.00 a month. My mail is reduced to the bare minimum, and £6.00 is too much for that.

I use a friend's address. Bank, car insurance and reg documents and licence, boat licence, everything.

Tried to get insurance for a camper van. Even though the camper is parked on a secure farm WITH a postal code, they wouldnt insure it because at the time our marina residential moorings didnt have a postal code allocated yet. When we did eventually have a postal code, we used it to register our teenage son in college. The college phoned back to say that they couldnt find a block of flats called "Mooring 23" at 9 Old Mill Street. Later, once we sorted that out with them, we signed up for Lovefilm...to actually deliver DVDs...as our Internet connection was too slow for online viewing at times. The DVDs didnt arrive (even though the marina now has actual post boxes, numbered etc, and we put our name on the post box. You see, the postie had read 9 Old Mill street.....(the marinas address) and ignored the Mooring 23 part....in fact everyones mail...(all moorings), were being stuffed into mooring number 9's post box.

It's a lot of fun :)

We use my husband's parents' address, and then they forward any important mail to us. Passports / driving licences have always sufficed as proof of ID.

It was quite amusing the other day when we got a new phone contract when we told the youngster serving us to tick the box "living with parents" :D

If you are buying a flat to rent out there will be a time lapover ( unless your very lucky )when the utility bills will be in your name ( even if it is only for a week or so ) whenever there is a gap of more than a few days you will get utility bills , be careful to keep their telephone numbers to check that there are not any monies owing even if it is a couple of pounds , very easy to be taken to court for an unpaid £10 electric bill , between tenants , when you don't know its owing because the bill has been sent to your 'buy to let', also apply to be put on the electoral roll for this address ( will stop you being invisible, if you want to be visible ). Bunny.

Be aware if you get put on the electoral register you will be breaking the law. Also if the flat is let to a single person by being on the register you will void their single persons discount .

If you want a PO Box, it has to be associated with a street address in the same Royal Mail Delivery Office area

You could try one of the mail forwarders you will find in any of the waterways press and have the mai delivered to a local POst Office under the Poste Restante service

Strongly suggest that you apply for a passport, even if you never intend to go abroad it's about the hardest form of identity available. Maintain contact with some professional people so that you have a ready supply of people who know you who can sign applications that need a photograph -also the vicar may charge less than your doctor, signing things is an income stream for several medical practises (IIRC my Dr charges £25 to witness a photo!

I went to pick up a package from the Post Office and a utility bill wasn't proof anymore. Some thing to do with the bill could be put through the same lettre box as the subject item.

Don't forget a utility bill is not proof of I/D it's used as proof of residential address, and then only acceptable in the case of acquiring a mobile phone has to be backed up with proof of identity which has to match the name on the utility bills.

I got really pissed off with all this nonsense recently when purchasing a couple of SIM's, however Its not the mobile phone companies fault according to the phone shop, they told us the mobile phone companies are required by law to obtain these kinds of identity when selling any phone or sim contract. (Terrorism and all that bollox)

You need to provide 2 utility bills or one utility bill with bank statement or rates bill at the same address followed by 2 forms of ID one photographic but all must genuine copies no photocopies. They wouldn't accept a drivers licence card with photo unless accompanied by the paper part of the licence as well. These are situations where passports are invaluable. Lynn's only photographic ID is her passport, she doesn't drive and has no other form of photographic ID which could prove problematic in the future what with living on a boat.

Obtaining a provisional driving licence might prove useful for ID purposes before living on a boat as well.

Also if the flat is let to a single person by being on the register you will void their single persons discount .

Not true; there is an objective test of "occupancy" can't remember the exact term but entry onto the electoral register; whether lawful or otherwise, is certainly not determinative.

Hiya,

I find my credit card bill and bank statement suffices for utility bill requests

Not true; there is an objective test of "occupancy" can't remember the exact term but entry onto the electoral register; whether lawful or otherwise, is certainly not determinative.

Try explaining that to Torridge council!

We owned and my stepson lived in a property down there, we didnt live there but used it as an address including being on the voting register. Because we couldnt give another address where we paid council tax (living on a boat) we were told that he was not eligable for the discount, in the end we had to "remove" ourselves on paper from the property for him to qualify.....

No, I keep them strictly postal so I can use them mainly to hire a car.

Then you have an address, the original Q was regard to not having a postal address.

For mobile phones A bank statement can suffice but at least one utility bill is required with it. I'm not sure if car hire firms have to require utility bills like mobile phone companies, banks up to around a year ago were also insisting on 2 utility bills to open an account, I note this has been relaxed now but they still need some proof of address as well as photo ID.

Would be handy though to be able to hire a car without too much hassle, I actually have an account with a hire company, so don't have to produce anything but it's based in Dorset, not much use to me when we're on the K&A canals.

Then you have an address, the original Q was regard to not having a postal address.

For mobile phones A bank statement can suffice but at least one utility bill is required with it. I'm not sure if car hire firms have to require utility bills like mobile phone companies, banks up to around a year ago were also insisting on 2 utility bills to open an account, I note this has been relaxed now but they still need some proof of address as well as photo ID.

Would be handy though to be able to hire a car without too much hassle, I actually have an account with a hire company, so don't have to produce anything but it's based in Dorset, not much use to me when we're on the K&A canals.

As it stands, he is going to have to use the paid for address he mentioned, to get a Dr. If not, the walk in centres are few and far apart, as I recently discovered.

Hiya,

Put shortly and without further ado. Lived onboard for umpteen years, ya dont need and address, doctor, dentist etc dont give two hoots. Just be honest and not scared and TELL em you live on a boat and it dont have an address. End of story.

Tim