vibration @ the bow

Titan

Featured Posts

Hi Folks

Last week we decided to take the boat out for a few hours to recharge our souls, 9 moths now and this was to be our second trip, after having previously sank she is now warm clean and dry, but far from finished. we went from Saul to Glos Docks all went great, i didnt colide with anything, even when mooring up between 2 rather shiny exspesive boats :blush: Back to topic, the engine is purring along amazingly well after its ordeal (if a Perkins D3 ) can be decribed as to purr ? But when at the bow the whole craft seems to judder/vibrate? not excessivly but none the less.

I havent experienced this on any of my friends boats? and nothing can be felt at the stern ? my thoughts are could it be put down to the bow being high in the water ? as no gas bottles and a empty water tank? making the bow possibly 6/8 inches higher than norm? Also although fully ballasted i have much more weight in the stern to sit low to elleviate cavitation @the prop as not fitted out and weigthted down correctly.

Your thoughts and advice appreciated regards Martin

As you say your boat is far from finished so I imagine it's because there's less in there to dampen the vibration from the engine through the boat.

Also I think all boats do it to a more/less extent.

Is it doing it at all engine speeds? Might just be yer harmonic vibrations being picked up from the engine at certain revs. Hopefully when the refit is complete and there's more weight/ballast/panelling/bulkheads/foam etc etc it will go away. If not then back to the engine to explore the mountings, propshaft etc. - there's folk on here who know more of this than I do but put simply you may need to get some rubber between the engine and the boat.

Edited to add: i.e. what IanM just said but in more words ....

Edited by twbm