Doing a doughnut in my boat.

Biggles

Featured Posts

It was well worth making it. This is the extreme end of what it does, I am still learning but it makes the boat very manouverable especially when bursts of power are applied.

Shame you didn't fit a standard one first to see the difference

Mine does too. Most boats should if their rudders are of the right proportions. Just come to a dead stand put the tiller over not quite fully and whack the throttle open.

I am glad mine does,otherwise you would be up the creek in the proverbial sh#t.

I am glad mine does,otherwise you would be up the creek in the proverbial sh#t.

Ahoy Ian. I'm having a tea break at the mo, working on Lady Olga in dry dock for the week, so am about 5 miles away from Iron Duke. :closedeyes:

Those of you that know with my blod will recall I made a Shilling rudder for my WBNB,

Blog Linky

This is how it works. I haven't used the BT in this clip.

It turns on a sixpence!

:D great. If I tried that with my narrowboat it would laugh in my face and go straight up the bank, Dukes of Hazzard stylee. Nice job.

:D great. If I tried that with my narrowboat it would laugh in my face and go straight up the bank, Dukes of Hazzard stylee. Nice job.

Tis good fun doing doughnuts in't boat.

Must get around to uploading the latest set though these are quite old now :blink:

The first time I tried doing a doughnut in the middle of Skipton Basin,I hit two hire boats(sorry Mr Clarke)one widebeam with occupants(sorry Mr Clarke),one private boat(they got in the way,no apologies)and the ice cream boat(I had to buy six 99s).I am a little bit better at it now. :blush:

Well if it's a competition I'll do one on my brothers jet ski. It's mentally fast and can do doughnuts in its own length. It actually digs a whirlpool hole.

Dare you

I am trying to dig out the video of NC proper doughnutting on the Wash (i.e full lock full throttle) the other week but I do seem to have misplaced it. Might have to do it again for good measure :cheers:

Dare you

I am trying to dig out the video of NC proper doughnutting on the Wash (i.e full lock full throttle) the other week but I do seem to have misplaced it. Might have to do it again for good measure :cheers:

I have done it. It's a bit scary when you are about 15" below the surrounding surface. I will lend him my GoPro as he is out on it most, way more than I am.

Impressive stuff. My boat leans over like a frigate when turning at any sort of speed.

You are right, frigates do lean over when doing tight turns at speed. At over thirty knots with twin 15000 horsepower propulsion units we used to have great fun and it is very exhilerating......a tad more than my Fat narrowboat any way :lol:

Tim