Sheffield-sized boats

Pluto

Featured Posts

That is an odd size for a keel, and makes her not really a Sheffield size. Are you sure the 14'10" width is accurate?

Fred Schofield's book Humber Keels and Keelmen lists the following sizes (p. 274):

West Country 57' 6" x 14'2"

Sheffield 61'6" x 15'6"

Manvers, Wath, Dearn & Dove 57'6" x 14'8"

Barnsley 70' x 14'4"

Driffield 61' x 14'6"

Weighton 66' x 14'6"

Lincoln 74' x 14'4"

Trent 74' x 14'4"

Horncastle 54' x 14'4"

Louth 72' x 15'

All of these were constrained by the smallest locks on each waterway. The boats were usually built to serve a particular one, and sized to maximise load on that route.

If it wasn't for the beam being a few inches over 14'4", I'd have guessed she was designed to be able to navigate a wider range of the network rather than achieving the biggest possible load for a single canal.

I have just noticed that you are the owner of Goodwill, I saw her when she was in dry dock in Knottingley, she had been beautifully converted and looked after...where is she now, if you don't mind me asking?

matk,

Have a search on Facebook for a group called "BARGES small river Tugs and Workboats on Humber" - we're on it. It's full of old keelmen and has a massive collection of old photos. I would expect someone there will have some idea of Drake's history and there's a good chance of finding photos also. I could ask for you, but you might as well join yourself.

If she worked for Waddingtons, you could also ask them for any information that they might have. We wrote when we first got Goodwill and got a very nice letter back from Steve Waddington with some historical documents and photographs of her launch. I've since had the opportunity to visit the yard and meet him.

I have just noticed that you are the owner of Goodwill, I saw her when she was in dry dock in Knottingley, she had been beautifully converted and looked after...where is she now, if you don't mind me asking?

We brought her south earlier this year and she is currently in a dry dock in Essex. Although indeed looking very smart, we knew when we got her that she would need some work on the hull, which is now almost done. We have a mooring for her in London.

What are your plans for Drake?

matk,

Have a search on Facebook for a group called "BARGES small river Tugs and Workboats on Humber" - we're on it. It's full of old keelmen and has a massive collection of old photos. I would expect someone there will have some idea of Drake's history and there's a good chance of finding photos also. I could ask for you, but you might as well join yourself.

If she worked for Waddingtons, you could also ask them for any information that they might have. We wrote when we first got Goodwill and got a very nice letter back from Steve Waddington with some historical documents and photographs of her launch. I've since had the opportunity to visit the yard and meet him.

We brought her south earlier this year and she is currently in a dry dock in Essex. Although indeed looking very smart, we knew when we got her that she would need some work on the hull, which is now almost done. We have a mooring for her in London.

What are your plans for Drake?

I'm currently getting a lot of work done on her in Falmouth and hopefully in the new year I too will be heading for London via an initial mooring in Gravesend.

Thank you for the tips. I will check out the Facebook page.

I did visit Waddingtons when I was researching humber barges but being a southerner I needed a translator.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little thought here but would any of the Yorkshire based Sheffield size barges be interested in having a bit of a gathering in York next year around the end of July and early august sort of time. If you know of any owners etc please pass the word on. I my self will be there with valiant and sheaf my well be with us.

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One Sheffield size barge that was still missing in the list is one of the latest-or maybe even THE latest one built (1961) the HAZELWOOD which has been since ages in France, and belongs to a retired ex-commercial barging English couple that are harbourmasters at the Port de Plaisance of Auxonne now.

810224Hazelwood.jpg

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

Hi Just to bring the records up to date for the barge Mimo, she has been in Reading, Berkshire since 2006. We have owned her since this date and we are still enjoying her.

Many thanks

Dave and Karen

Hi Dave and Karen,

I remember Mimo well. She worked for me for several years when owned by the late Alan Sellers (I ran a barge agency as well as my own craft). If of interest i have many of the loads she did documented and a few photos, well one or two! She carried general cargo off the Trent & Humber to various destinations, and also sand, mainly to Walker's on the Foss in York. Alan took over the Walker's dredging operation ('Reklaw'), and established an aggregate bsuiness in Leeds (New Dock, later Goodman Street) which was then taken over by Redlands, which became Lafarge. Alan also ran a sweet factory in Bradford, a real character it was a great shame he died at a young age.

Regards

David L

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

I own Alice and Mona, a Sheffield size built by Scarr's of Beverley in 1924/5 for John Henry and Louisa Armstrong, parents of Alice and Mona Armstrong. I have seen logs showing that she worked with Evangeline, Richard, Valiant, Radio, Quebo, Hunts'kim and others for Hodgesons during the 1940's, and carried Coal, leather and British Oak at that time.

Hi there,

I own Alice and Mona, a Sheffield size built by Scarr's of Beverley in 1924/5 for John Henry and Louisa Armstrong, parents of Alice and Mona Armstrong. I have seen logs showing that she worked with Evangeline, Richard, Valiant, Radio, Quebo, Hunts'kim and others for Hodgesons during the 1940's, and carried Coal, leather and British Oak at that time.

Welcome to the forum, any pictures?

(My favourite boats)

• 7 months later...

I found another Sheffield size keel in France, she 's moored at Briare about 200 meters from the famous Pont Canal.

The name is "THOMAS PORTER" she has hydraulic steering, and the wheelhouse roof can by lowered and raised by hydraulics too.

5804e93a4009352f28b99e26dde75863.jpg

Peter.

I found another Sheffield size keel in France, she 's moored at Briare about 200 meters from the famous Pont Canal.

The name is "THOMAS PORTER" she has hydraulic steering, and the wheelhouse roof can by lowered and raised by hydraulics too.

5804e93a4009352f28b99e26dde75863.jpg

Peter.

Beautiful

Yes I agree Kris, she looks quite nice, and because you seem to like these keels, like I do too, I'll post another one named "RICCALL" which is already on the list but there was no picture of her, so that will be done now.

She is beautifully and very comfortable fitted out, and to pass the tunnels and some very low bridges, her whole wheelhouse top (all of the glazed area and the roof) lifts off and is put in a well in front of the wheelhouse with an hydraulic gantry.

a466cddad7aea1b6b3b6075ad7abf959.jpg

Peter.

It's a good thing that people have different tastes, if not all boats would look exactly the same.

From the outside it may not be to your taste, but if you would have the opportunity to visit the Inside one day, you may see why these portholes were used.

Because of them you can see what's going on on the water and on the outside without having to stand up or go upstair into the wheelhouse.

The inside is gorgeous, I like it very much, and would even be very happy if I was her owner, but you may not like her, as I said, it's all personal taste.

Peter.

Yes as you say personal taste, I understand why people do it to keels. Being able to see out is a good thing after all. But I think I've seen it done badly too many times. i agree, it's good we don't all have the same taste in boats.

I imagine the "Sheffield size" boats are a really good size for European waters.

Regards kris

Yes as you say personal taste, I understand why people do it to keels. Being able to see out is a good thing after all. But I think I've seen it done badly too many times. i agree, it's good we don't all have the same taste in boats.

I imagine the "Sheffield size" boats are a really good size for European waters.

Regards kris

They have perfect dimensions specially for the french canal locks, with plenty of space width wise, but not too much, just what it needs for an easy entrance and because of the space between the lockwalls and the hull, no problem leaving the locks either.

Also the hight of the sides is perfect, much nicer than what you get when you shorten a Freycinet barge.

Too bad there are so few left

Peter.

A smallish Humber keel has just turned up at our boatyard, it has a large unfinished deckhouse. It was towed from the Humber to the Thames and has been on a mooring in the Estuary for a bit. Called "Taurus" I'll post some pictures later

A smallish Humber keel has just turned up at our boatyard, it has a large unfinished deckhouse. It was towed from the Humber to the Thames and has been on a mooring in the Estuary for a bit. Called "Taurus" I'll post some pictures later

Taurus rings a bell John I have seen her in the last year and am now racking my brains to remember where Edited by peterboat

as AjW says the back half is on sale at Alan Pease's site, the bit that turned up here is quite short and has a fair old beam on her, The bow plating looks like original Humber barge builders work and getting on a bit. Where she's lying makes it hard for me to see the stern but tomorrow I'll have a walk along the dredger she's moored alongside and have a look. I'll also try and get some pics. I am not sure about the lines of the cabin they have put on her but I have seen a hell of a lot worse !!! The standard of the steelwork looks pretty good from the bit I can see, I don't know where it was done.

If I can find who has her, I will try and have a chat and get some info.

Taurus was a Selby size dumb barge. As it happens I was at the Waddingtons yard at Swinton when she was still in original condition and having the initial pre-purchase survey for the current owner.

Rather than the more usual cut & shut amidships, the buyer decided to have a new stern put on the forward half. So the aft half, with a bow added, is still for sale.

Yes what a pillock I am cruised past taurus hundreds of times over the last 10 years even seen it working but havent realised its gone from its mooring to be cut up! So many have gone over the last 4 years only a couple tied up now, it was a big boat way over a 100 foot maybe 160?

Yes what a pillock I am cruised past taurus hundreds of times over the last 10 years even seen it working but havent realised its gone from its mooring to be cut up! So many have gone over the last 4 years only a couple tied up now, it was a big boat way over a 100 foot maybe 160?

I have her listed as 97ft, which sounds about right from having stood on her when she was in one piece!

I have her listed as 97ft, which sounds about right from having stood on her when she was in one piece!

It would be right I have been next to her at Waddington locks when she was tied up its hard to judge as they were so big and there were so many of them as well